Thread: Rental lenses at the beach

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Rental lenses at the beach 
    Have a client renting a lens set of mine, only to find after the paperwork has been pushed out that they're going to do some shooting at the beach. I'm sure they will take good care to keep them clean, but a bit of sand is inevitable with any time spent shooting on a beach. If I get them sent out for a cleaning I'm out all the rental downtime in addition to the cost of cleaning. What can I do to protect myself when the lens set comes back with some sand in it?

Can you turn down the rental?
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

I'm not a lens tech, so take this with a grain of sand, but I don't think you could easy clean the lenses yourself

what type of lenses?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

I have no experience with rental lenses or even how much this might cost to clean, but I have been doing surf photography (hanging at the beach) for many years now.

I don't think sand is your real adversary, unless the borrower is very careless. I have not personally gotten sand in or around a lens of mine and I've had plenty of chances to. What I get more concerned about is salt spray. Again, with no experience other than my own, salt spray hasn't harmed any of my equipment as long as it was wiped down in a reasonable amount of time.
    In all I wouldn't be that concerned, but does depend on how cautious the renter is.

You could also insist that anything going near sand or salt water be housed in a surf housing, that frees them up for a lot of different shots, and takes the post-shoot special cleaning out of the equation.
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea', Helium 8K S35 ‘Safe Passage’
    Gates Deep Weapon
    Hollis PRISM2 Rebreather System
    Red Sea Pictures

Lenses come back tomorrow so we'll see. Was told that they will only be at the beach for a very limited time, all the rest of the shooting was elsewhere. I included an optical flat and a clip on MB to help ensure that they protect them a little bit better. Hopefully when I swap the mounts I won't find any grit and have to deal with sending them to a lens tech for a quick cleaning.

True story. I was steadicam op on a show. We were down in the Turks and Caicos. The less than brilliant DP has the finder up (we were still shooting 35mm at the time), and he reaches to focus the lens, and opens the PL lock instead. Plop. Right in the sand. The AC running as fast as he could and diving didn't make it. The Dp grabs it up out of the sand, stuffs it back on the finder and racks the focus gear back and forth yelling "it's fine! see?" the entire camera department started screaming at him horrified at the crunchy grinding noises of sand in the helicoid of the Super speed. Good times ;-)

I'm sure your lenses are fine ;-)

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    True story. I was steadicam op on a show. We were down in the Turks and Caicos. The less than brilliant DP has the finder up (we were still shooting 35mm at the time), and he reaches to focus the lens, and opens the PL lock instead. Plop. Right in the sand. The AC running as fast as he could and diving didn't make it. The Dp grabs it up out of the sand, stuffs it back on the finder and racks the focus gear back and forth yelling "it's fine! see?" the entire camera department started screaming at him horrified at the crunchy grinding noises of sand in the helicoid of the Super speed. Good times ;-)

I'm sure your lenses are fine ;-)

Nick
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Total nightmare.

So lenses came back without sand...but man did these kids return the kit looking like shit. Lens tissue discarded inside, lens supports loose out of the tentacle bag I gave them in. Gives me a new respect for what rental techs deal with. I've always made sure to return my cases as close to how I recieved them, and never thought that anyone would do anything less!

Thus the phrase, "Beaten like a borrowed mule."