Thread: Canon 50-1000mm question

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Canon 50-1000mm question 
    Ever since seeing this lens, I've thought it might be the perfect solution for some shooting I'm contemplating. But my question is, has anyone actually USED this lens in the wild? It covers a 4K image circle, but does anyone know if Canon or someone else is working on an 8K circle version?

Any first-hand experience you'd like to share on this particular lens, besides it being expensive. At 15lbs, don't think the O'Connor 1030D is going to be able to support this well without a lot of vibration.

Hi Mark, at the moment I don't know of any lens in this range being developed for cinema purposes. There are some big S35 zooms being developed that will be ideal for 4K and 8K sensors, but we're talking mich more expensive glass/box lenses.

If you are talking about something like this for VistaVision, nope, nothing I know of yet. But that will also be a six figures lens and about twice the size.

I've used it and you can get away with a 1030D, but I'd recommend a 2560 and you do want to be on firm ground on the long end
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Hi Mark, at the moment I don't know of any lens in this range being developed for cinema purposes. There are some big S35 zooms being developed that will be ideal for 4K and 8K sensors, but we're talking mich more expensive glass/box lenses.

If you are talking about something like this for VistaVision, nope, nothing I know of yet. But that will also be a six figures lens and about twice the size.

I've used it and you can get away with a 1030D, but I'd recommend a 2560 and you do want to be on firm ground on the long end
    Thanks, Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    at the moment I don't know of any lens in this range being developed for cinema purposes.
    Other than the gearing not all being at 0.8 pitch, what about the lens doesn't lend itself to cinematic applications? Used it on several productions and it did exactly what our DP wanted it to.
    Alex Mitchell
    DCPi Film Services
    www.dcpi.ca

Was looking at the list of lenses supported by RED with the Canon EF mount and this one isn't listed. Is it possible to be added or is there some reason why it cannot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Was looking at the list of lenses supported by RED with the Canon EF mount and this one isn't listed. Is it possible to be added or is there some reason why it cannot? That would most definitely be a deal-breaker.
    As mentioned before, just contact Andreas is you want to know more about the canon 50-1000, he uses it on Helium (8k) and does wild life cine(the high-end David Attenborough kind of stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    As mentioned before, just contact Andreas is you want to know more about the canon 50-1000, he uses it on Helium (8k) and does wild life cine(the high-end David Attenborough kind of stuff).
    Thanks. It was more of a question for RED, but I've sent Andreas a PM too.

Honestly, most people are using this lens in PL mount. I have it’s “little brother”, so to speak, the 17-120. And while I do have a swappable mount system on it that converts to EF, I use it in PL Mount most of the time. The only reason I even bothered having the swappable system put on was so that I could use it on my C300 when I had to, which is EF Mount only. Otherwise, it’s always set-up for PL. I know a few people that own the 50-1000 and they’re all PL mount versions.

"Other than the gearing not all being at 0.8 pitch"

Do different gear pitches work better for different lengths of throw? I'm wondering why manufacturers just don't make all gearing 0.8 pitch. Marketing I found online sells 0.5 pitch as "The gear's 0.5" width works with longer-throw lenses, including macros."

Any guess as to why Canon made the iris gear 0.5 but the focus 0.8?