Thread: The New Mac Pro is Here!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post

No idea why Apple only gave their $6000 display one input!
    www.bruceallen.tv
    This is the worst thing about it.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    This is the worst thing about it.
    worst thing is 500ish zones for the backlight

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    Dermot beat me to it!
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    I wonder when orders and bto prices will go live?
    Between the 23-25 of September.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    Apple couldn't go higher without drastically increasing the price. At 6K resolution, the panel is already built-to-order and the backlighting is done with off-the-shelf parts used by the latest generation of high-end gaming monitors, so doubling it to 1152 zones like the latest 4K Asus ProArt 32 will have, would require a more expensive customized design, which Apple can't justify with the already exorbitant price of the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    Apple couldn't go higher without drastically increasing the price. At 6K resolution, the panel is already built-to-order and the backlighting is done with off-the-shelf parts used by the latest generation of high-end gaming monitors, so doubling it to 1152 zones like the latest 4K Asus ProArt 32 will have, would require a more expensive customized design, which Apple can't justify with the already exorbitant price of the monitor.
    Yep, Apple needs atleast a margin of 300%.
    The exterior is a new design, the rest is off the shelf parts with a custom made PCB.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    At 6K resolution, the panel is already built-to-order and the backlighting is done with off-the-shelf parts used by the latest generation of high-end gaming monitors…
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    …the rest is off the shelf parts with a custom made PCB.
    Source(s)? Links?

Well, I just read through 16 pages of this thread...quite a wide array of opinions in here.

My first 2006 Mac Pro replaced an Avid station that was something like 12x the price, maybe more. A quad core with Final Cut was like $3500 after taxes...if my memory serves me correctly. It brought professional editing to small companies and made freelancing as a profession possible for almost everyone I knew. It changed the game entirely and was fairly friendly to upgrade. Heck, it made a majority of my career possible.

Apple made some odd choices with their pro gear since 2012. The trash can was a complete failure from my experience, it just couldn't handle the load we threw at it and we came very close to missing deadlines as it suffered from overheating time and time again. The MacBook Pro is beautiful to look at, but has it's own list of problems (it's still my preferred laptop for personal use though). And the new Mac Pro pushes out of the price range for a huge chunk of the market that purchased Mac Pros in previous generations of the product line.

The afterburner card is by far the most intriguing part of the announcement to me.

The $6k price tag for an 8-Core Xeon with weak specs is pretty steep. No, you can't build a part for part identical PC for cheap, but you can outrun/match the performance for $1800 after taxes. And for $3500 you're going to hang with a fairly hefty upgrade that will probably run around $10k. The afterburner card may be the one item that truly gives a mid-range Mac Pro an advantage. But buying an 8-Core Xeon is well, just silly as an investment. Maybe you're GPU heavy and plan to upgrade everything around it, then I guess it doesn't matter. My old quad-core Mac Pro did last 9 years and the only reason I upgraded it was because I was getting sucked into a thunderbolt / USB 3 world.

I was personally hoping for that old 1,1 quad core slice of the professional market, maybe a second line that was slightly less server like, say an i9 9900K with 64gb RAM, a better GPU, at around $3500? It's less profit but the entire purpose of that machine is to allow me to scale with upgrades over time. If that had space to upgrade to dual GPUs and left me room for an afterburner and decklink, and I'm pretty damn set for 95% of the productions I work on. $6k knowing I'm going to have to dump another $4k into it breaks every budget I have been given since 2011.

A lot of arguments rag on those complaining about the price, that $ to output shouldn't matter if it works and you're making good money and this is priced at those who know that. I think that is an unfair counter point. Are prices are higher because of time/inflation or is Apple just charging a maximum ecosystem tax? Everything else has gone down in price. Cameras, live broadcast hardware, 10Gbe is affordable now, storage costs next to nothing, and gaming has brought PC hardware pricing to rock bottom. GPU demand is the only thing holding prices up. AMD 3000 and TR with PCI 4.0 is going to be amazing bang for the buck. Apple is going the other direction and upping the barrier to entry that they so famously broke with the Mac Pro in 2006-2009. I can't bring myself to take the iMac Pro seriously just based on the fact that I have to keep a whole spare one on the shelf should a machine go haywire during a production.

Overall, the extensibility of the machine looks incredibly impressive. If I had an unlimited budget, the macOS fan inside of me wouldn't hesitate. If it was $3500, I'd be counting all my coins and booking some extra day-rate gigs to have the cash ready.

In the end, it's going to come down to a CUDA vs Metal race in terms of what the machine can actually do. That's going to be at least a year, maybe two until the dust from that battle starts to truly settle.

Maybe I'm alone in a red user forum, but budgets and rates are declining in my world. I'm doing more with less in productions year over year while cameras just get more and more power hungry. A more expensive Mac Pro that's aimed at the upper echelon of post-house wasn't what I was looking for to keep me in the Apple ecosystem for professional work. We put in the order for computer parts right after the Mac Pro was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    Source(s)? Links?
    https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

Apple is not secretive about it.
    The T2 chip is an Apple products, solely for users dependency on apple when something goes wrong with the SSD's(and that might be possible, it's not a MiniMag).

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

Apple is not secretive about it.
    The T2 chip is an Apple products, solely for users dependency on apple when something goes wrong with the SSD's(and that might be possible, it's not a MiniMag).
    What does the T2 chip have to do with the monitor?