Thread: Cine Gear 2019 and Apple WWDC Highlights

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Cine Gear 2019 and Apple WWDC Highlights 

It's been a great week of Cine Gear happenings. As per usual, some quick takes on the show.

[color=yellow]Lenses, ALL OF THEM[/B]

Just like at NAB, much of the tale in 2019 is glass. And even with all the current announcements and releases, there are still more coming. Mainly the surge can be see seen for VistaVision and Large Format, but there's also some Super 35mm and even MFT glass popping up. It's getting a bit crowded, but at the same time more options are good. I won't cover anything in my NAB Journal 2019, but there's some new ones worth chatting about there. The above image is from the 2019 Lens Summit at Koerner Camera, which is an event growing in popularity up in Portland and a great way to get intimate hands on experience with new glass.

[color=yellow]Musashi-Opt[/B]

That name may be new for some of you, but they are not new to the glass world. What is new is rather than specialized accessory optics like extanders, Musashi is making a new S35 zoom. It's a 23.9-195mm T2.9 S35 zoom with zero light ramping across the range. It's still under development, but looks like it's coming later this year. Built in back focus, likely around $29K.

[color=yellow]Glasswork[/B]

I looked closely at two lenses this year and the new Glasswork One Anamorphic Primes was one of them. These are front 2X anamorphics that cover 25.56mm tall. The range will be 32 through 135mm primes at T2.4, with likely a 180mm at T3 and perhaps a 25mm down the line. These aren't the smallest anamorphic primes, but it's really about the look and that's where these shine. It's early days, but they'll have a couple lengths by the end of the year.

[color=yellow]Angenieux[/B]

Angenieux isn't nieux to the prime lens world, but it's been a few decades since they've danced on the floor. The new Optimo T1.8 Primes are indeed designed for VistaVision and they are rather special. The goal is to have a set of 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 40, 50, 60, 75, 100, 135, and 200mm primes at the end of the journey with likely about 5 primes available by the end of the year. These are going to float around the $23-$27K range, but what makes these special is what you can do with them.

At the core of the Optimo Primes is the ability to customize the lens on your own via the use of magnetic rear filter holders, an interchangeable diffusion disk within the lens, as well as the ability to even change the iris mechanism. Though the only lens I was able to film with was the 40mm, the images off of these feel wonderful. The iris is absolutely on point as well. Expect to see more from these soon.

[color=yellow]Bright Tangerine[/B]

BT has something new that will be useful for aerial, camera car, natural history, and special effects cinematography. It's an air blade called the Prodigy which is a matte box that features a powerful blowing engine that keeps rain and other evils off the filter. At around $3000, this thing is much less expensive than other things on the market in this category and this is certainly a bit more ideal for digital cinema cameras. It's a 2 or 3 tray system, makes about a 64dB grumble when running, and can run for about 90 minutes off the battery. It's a specialty product, but for those who need it, it's a life saver.

[color=yellow]Panavision[/B]

A good deal of what PV is up to surrounds updates to the DXL2 and DXL-M. New modules for the big boy. They also have a new ecosystem for monitoring 4K and HDR on set. However, the practical DP thing many salivate for is the new LCND. They have refined it greatly since demonstrating the tech since last year. The quick briefing, it's a 0.3-1.8 range, has a 24 hour battery, features one stop adjustment arrow-style buttons, a jog wheel that via LED indicators lets you know if you are doing 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of a stop adjustments, and can be uses to do smooth ND ramps via a Preston wirelessly even. Still early on, but there's even more integration coming and people are excited about this tech. Lee Filters, which is owned by Panavision, is responsible for this tech and the current plan is to target a 2020 release of a product us mortals can purchase. Stay tuned for sure.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

RED Digital Cinema

RED wasn't at Cine Gear, but at RED Studios Hollywood they chose to have an Open House to reveal the newly renovated RED Store. It's a much more modern take and much larger with a nice large entry way and meeting/kitchen area. But the big room is the new Production Center which features a DSC Labs ChromaVista chart with resolution indicators up to 8K resolution. It's a great space that you will want to checkout if you are in town.

At Cine Gear RED was indeed all over however. With Ranger being the focus right now, it doesn't make much sense for RED to really have much more of a presence as the DSMC2 Unified Lineup has been the focus for a bit now. What makes me really, really curious is will RED be there in 2020 :)

Apple WWDC

With the hard tock of the clock Apple has finally refreshed the Mac Pro. It's a very pro oriented workstation with big power and up to a 28-core Intel Xeon proc as well as up to 1.5TB of RAM support. It features 8 PCI-e slots for a variety of setups, you'll be able to do 4X GPUs in here easily. To complement this new workstation Apple is releasing the Pro Display XDR, which is a 1000 nit 6K (6240x2880) resolution monitor that will be suitable for color grading, way suitable. It features a 1400 watt PSU as well and with it's stainless steel modular interior has really great airflow, which is useful for big boxes like this.

The focus here is workflow and throughput and using Apple ProRes Raw they showcased multiple 8K stream editing on a Final Cut Pro Timeline. And yes, RED is involved here :)

Some new integration with the iPad as an external display and control surface is also greatly received as well as the ability to plugin external storage. The iPad just became the most powerful dailies and super portable editing platform in my opinion.

The new MacOS btw is called Catalina, which I wear literally on my neck for most of my life. Also, for developers, the new SwiftUI looks insanely good.

Odds and Ends

This was a special year at Cine Gear for me. There's lots of other goodies at the show. Lollipop mount for the Litepanels Gemini, a new Director's Viewfinder Cage from Wooden Camera, new integrated wireless integrated monitors from SmallHD, OConnor has been added to the Flowtec tripod family, new Neon 4K monitors from Atomos, new cleaver boom poles and bags from K-Tek for those audio bugs out there, and much more.

But the joy of this year came down to conversations with filmmakers of all types. Mostly surrounding the new 4K and 8K landscape, crafting an the look of a film, and the goofy socializing we got up to. Cine Gear to me is the best show for all things production oriented and results in a great week of local events in the entertainment capital of the world only enhanced by being on the Paramount Lot. For those of you I saw, thanks for saying hi or hanging out way, way, way too late at night.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Is that bright tangerine air blade for sale yet? Looks pretty cool.
    Jeff McCoy
    1st AC & drone pilot
    2x Monstros, Alexa LF, MotoCrane, Leica Summilux-C set, Angénieux & Fujinon zooms, Prestons, Teradek Bolt kits, Sony OLED monitors, O’Connor heads, drones, 4x4 sprinter vans & lots more.
    Web: www.industrialdigital.tv
    Instagram: @Industrial_Digital

Hi Jeff,

We're aiming to get the Prodigy shipping in November, roughly around $3,000 USD. Significantly cheaper than traditional spinners.

Newsshooter has some coverage of it here - https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/06/...ain-deflector/

Everything about the new Mac Pro has me interested. The only thing that's kind of weird at this point is the overall lack of support for ProRes RAW from the industry. Other than the DJI Inspire, does anything actually shoot it internally? Once there's broader support I feel like their vision will make a little more sense. Until then I'm VERY happy with what I see here.
    Alex Mitchell
    DCPi Film Services
    www.dcpi.ca

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Those Optimos look amazing. But at that price? Phew. You wouldn't want to own those. I would have more fun discovering photographic lenses and cinevizing them. Look at how cheap 645 lenses are, for example. 645 lenses are often discussed here, and with good reason.

Love the new Mac Pro. Note the Italian industrial design cues (well that's the first thing that came to my mind). The kinked steel frame, with the disk shaped feet, is so Italian. Love it. It's probably the smartest desktop workstation ever made. Apple is not fucking around, that's for sure.

BTW these look cool, too. Anamorphics for Micro 4/3:

https://www.43rumors.com/this-is-the...r-mft-cameras/

I've been a fan of Micro 4/3 for a while now. When it comes time to upgrade my cameras, I might go down that route. Even if I had to shoot video I'd probably go for the smaller formats. Even S35 could be seen as 'big' these days. Just thinking aloud. :-)
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram

Good showing as always Phil :)

I love the fact of the many FF lenses coming to market, which I had mine finalized and out, but its still good to see some of the same companies that I spoked with years ago about FF lenses, actually doing them, even without me, but still they have left out some serious specs and designs that gives me the opportunity to make them in the future.

Cost on some of this is very high, too high for the specs, but each manufacturer has their reasons, and different costs based on so many things, glass sourcing included.

I still as of now put the Zeiss SP's at first place for my Monstro shooting needs, no other glass currently its more positive notes than them.

The Ranger is out an about all over the place and it is good to see such site!

BT, has done a great job with the MB rain blower, it is something I talked about many times when shooting outdoor in rainy days where the camera is fully protected, yet the front glass element of the MB is trickled with rain drops that ruin the image when you really just want a super clean shot, so great job BT!!.

MAC PRO... YES!! Apple did surely responded with a Gargantua BANG, late but not too late.

I am very happy I do no longer have to think about crossing ver to the DARK side... of Windows :)

PS: Karim,
    Yes absolutely agree on the Italian design influence of the new MP tower, love it.
    F I L M M A K E R

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    And yes, RED is involved here :)
    OOOHHHHH that sounds extremely promising...
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

Check out this press release:

Red Digital Cinema
    “Apple’s new hardware will bring a mind-blowing level of performance to Metal-accelerated, proxy-free R3D workflows in Final Cut Pro X that editors truly have never seen before. We are very excited to bring a Metal-optimized version of R3D in September.” — Jarred Land, president, Red Digital Cinema

Metal-accelerated RED RAW workflow! How exciting! Hopefully that will work on other less-pricey Macs and (fingers crossed) Hackintoshes!

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...o-display-xdr/
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"