Thread: FULL FRAME TEST MONSTRO/ALEXA LF/MAVO/VENICE

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    I am blown away by the Alexa LF. There is no overexposure there. The skin tones just look great everywhere. Frankly +6 doesn't look that different from normal. It's unbelievable.
    The Alexa LF does hold skin-tones well, but in terms of actually clipping highlights, there's a one stop difference between the Alexa LF clipping at +6 and the Monstro clipping at +5 stops. You can see the highlights clipping on Alexa LF at +6 stops on the wide shot and in the close up Rand posted just above.

Phil,

They point to this test from 2016 to explain their ETTR method.

Here is the link I followed on the translated page, But the text is so segmented by missing videos that I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

Here is the translated page which has a lot of missing videos.

https://translate.googleusercontent....ytp385Myo1ikRQ
    Last edited by rand thompson; 06-08-2019 at 11:19 PM.

They also say, "The brightest exposure in which the top lights in her face have not yet clipped, we call the ETTR exposure (see explanation in Review 2016)."

So, they're exposing for the highlight side of her face without clipping and then going over and under from there?

Then their picture with +/- exposure values rates the highlight side of her face as +1 stop.

Not trying to second-guess their methodology or anything, was just curious too after Phil asked about it.

It's a nice comparison between cameras, but you'd still want to have a look for yourself if it came down to it.
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 06-08-2019 at 11:40 PM.

More from Test

Last one tonight

The Camera names are at the Right side of the screen. Does anybody get the feeling that they're being watched? Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    The Alexa LF does hold skin-tones well, but in terms of actually clipping highlights, there's a one stop difference between the Alexa LF clipping at +6 and the Monstro clipping at +5 stops. You can see the highlights clipping on Alexa LF at +6 stops on the wide shot and in the close up Rand posted just above.

You don't know that for sure. Because it was not really tested in a measured way at +7, etc. Also there is no color shift. At +5 Monstro is starting to go contrasty/green. Frankly, +4 on Monstro has normal skin tones, +5 does not. So it seems to me that we are looking at least at 2 stops difference between normal looking skin tones from the two cameras. Ok, it's Reduser and you want to champion Monstro, but Alexa LF still kicks ass. +6 and it looks virtually normal in terms of skin tones. Which is frankly incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if you got another 2 stops out of it if you were to push it into the same contrasty color shift territory as what we see happening with the Monstro above +4.
    Last edited by C. Burkhart; 06-09-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Just because i can't think of a better thread i did look at that R3D and can see what Aaron and Rand mean. This looks to be highlight reconstruction at play and the kind of image coming back looks sort of blobby - maybe as a result of smoothed noise.

Of course this is just a curiosity because if you're over by that amount you've made some serious errors of judgement! I think this kind of highlight reconstruction would be fine for skies and less detailed areas. I'm not sure i would personally use this technique in production though, seems like a lot of work for not too much return unless it was some kind of emergency. I do wonder how this is in movement, because if it is being generated by noise rather than actual data then it might not look too good in motion?

The image on the left shows the blue channel and the right the pushed real colours, pushed to accentuate the differences between a 1700K temp (blue) and the 5600K temp. I don't think there's is much real difference in the highlights except where the blobby noise is.

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    You don't know that for sure. Because it was not really tested in a measured way at +7, etc. Also there is no color shift. At +5 Monstro is starting to go contrasty/green. Frankly, +4 on Monstro has normal skin tones, +5 does not. So it seems to me that we are looking at least at 2 stops difference between normal looking skin tones from the two cameras. Ok, it's Reduser and you want to champion Monstro, but Alexa LF still kicks ass. +6 and it looks virtually normal in terms of skin tones. Which is frankly incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if you got another 2 stops out of it if you were to push it into the same contrasty color shift territory as what we see happening with the Monstro above +4.
    ehehe I missed you ... I wondered where you were ehehe ..
    However you are not consistent, if you look better the videos you would have chosen Monstro,
    Look at the hair detail? The Monstro retains so much more of the fine strands and just more dimensional. Also, look at the pupil as the Monster just renders it so much more vibrantly.

However after the +6 ALexa was "unmanageable" and turned yellow, they didn't want to post but confirm this. actually the +6 is a recovery already at the limit for the LF.
    For Monstro the +5 didn't do anything to recover they just set the Lut ipp2 and that's enough so there was still a margin .. I don't know how much but surely something is.
    But Monstro is less noisy under + - 1 stop ahead.
    So in reality the 2 cameras are very close in DR, as demonstrated by the number of Xylia tests carried out between ALev and Monstro.

[IMG]62506968_10156589677737909_5226361173527494656_o by luigi valtulini, su Flickr[/IMG]
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL"
    SCARLET-W #45 "HEIDI " , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

www.rsi.ch

What kind of sorcery is that, ARRI?
    SCARLET-W #004760

Just to be clear, the Alexa LF is clipping highlights at +6 (including the ones in her left eye), right?

Alexa LF - https://vimeo.com/331086248

While the Monstro does it at +5 (or something beyond +4 that's not included in the video)?

Monstro - https://vimeo.com/331082740

Meanwhile, the hot-spot in the light on the right of frame is clear in the Monstro shot at +4, but still discoloured in the Alexa LF shot at +4 and clear at +3 ?