Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 X99 system r3d decode speeds 
    Hi all,

My system is as follows:

Asus X99-a II
    Intel 6800k
    64gb 2666 ram
    AMD Radeon VII

In Resolve 15, I'm getting 13fps playback on 6k@7:1 at Full premium, Half premium and Half good at 8 or 10 bits. At Quarter good it jumps to 25fps. Shouldn't I be getting a gradual increase of fps as I drop the quality? I see that the cpu is fully loaded in the first 3 quality settings and then drops to 50% at quarter so I guess that is the bottleneck, then again I tried overclocking to 3.9ghz and get the exact same results. I tried playback both from spinning disks and ssd, same results. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, are in you Resolve Studio or just the free 15 version?

I just assembled a intel i9-9900K with a RTX 2080Ti and in Resolve the 8k tests we ran were pretty lackluster. We haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet and Premiere playback was far more stable which is what we're editing in for this show anyways.

Those results look pretty good to me (between i7-9700k 8c/8tr and i7-9800x 8c/16tr).

Studio.

Running both windows and osx in same machine(hackintosh), getting almost identical results in both. My main question is, shouldn't there be a gradual increase in fps as I drop debayer quality and not staying at 13fps for the first 3, then straight to 25 at quarter good?

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Nousias View Post
    Studio.

Running both windows and osx in same machine(hackintosh), getting almost identical results in both. My main question is, shouldn't there be a gradual increase in fps as I drop debayer quality and not staying at 13fps for the first 3, then straight to 25 at quarter good?
    When you go from full-res premium to half-res good, normally your frame-rate increases.
    By the way, turn HBCC on with the Radeon VII

joncoy wrote:

"So today, I learned a bit about HBCC memory segment function on the Radeon VII (in the Radeon software), so I decided to kick it on, at its default memory amount, to see what happens. I restarted the PC, booted Resolve, and from the database window to initial application loading and then to media and thumbnails, everything loaded VERY quickly, like 1-2 seconds."

AFAIK Full Res Premium and Half Res Premium should have the same speed, because both do a full decode.

But Half Res Good should be faster than Half Res Premium.

I noticed that playback performance does not change, regardless if I'm using the GPU for compute or not.

I noticed that playback performance does not change, regardless if I'm using the GPU for compute or not.
    How is your CPU load?

Try Full-Res Premium and Half-Res Good, you should see a difference in playback speed.

CPU load is maxed, no difference in playback between the two. GPU processor is almost not used.

CPU load is maxed, no difference in playback between the two. GPU processor is almost not used.
    That's weird, what version of Resolve are you using (Free or Studio)?
    You should see an uplift of atleast 50..60% when you go from Full-Res Premium to Half-Res Good.