Thread: Shooting 1.5x Anamorphic on Red

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Shooting 1.5x Anamorphic on Red 
    Hey Red Users! So I have decided to try out Anamorphics on my Gemini, I bought an Iscorama Pre-36 which is a 1.5x lens but here's where I'm running into problems. When I go into Red menu I'm only given the choice of 1.3x, 1.25x, or 2x anamorphic and various aspect ratios. So without being able to choose any of them values, should I just shoot in regular 5k and fix the image in post? Sorry I'm very confused, I'm also not sure if I should choose 6:5 aspect ratio or not, if I was shooting 2x Anamorphic the dimensions would be 7200 x 3000, 1.3x would be 4800 x 3000, but without a 1.5x option I'm stuck with 3600 x 3000. Any help would be great.

Thanks so much
    Patrick

Full in camera monitoring and format support for 1.5X has been requested a few times. Up to RED now to implement it. There truly isn't a large volume of 1.5X anamorphic glass on the market (Yes I own two 1.5X however). But with newer 1.5X stuff coming from P&S and also the crazy 1.8X stuff and all that, there might be real reason to look harder at anamorphic support.

To that point, I shoot a regular spherical format with 1.5X and desqueeze via monitor to see what I'm doing. On monitors that don't support 1.5X, try 1.3X, it gives you a good idea of what's going on.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This raises a good point regarding the support for 1.5x, 1.8x going forward. P & S and Cooke and other lens companies all deserve it, yet I can imagine it all gets a little confusing depending on how the sensor size supports the particular anamorphic lens.

Not sure what is on the table with RED'S development and forward-looking support of anamorphic, but I believe we will see more and more anamorphic usage within a project, both wholly or perhaps for just some shots within a project.

Perhaps. I love anamorphic, but percentage-wise it's still used incredibly rarely industry wide. However, now that a lot more anamorphic glass is here and more on the way, perhaps a new uptick in the look and trend. We'll see.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

BTW ISCOs are actually more like 1.41x in actual use...

so even with 1.5x de-squeeze it will still be not on point so you may well go with 1.3 like Phil suggested

or...keep pushing (like I do since ages) to beg RED to implement a custom de-squeeze setting in the menu! ;-)

I know it's not easy to implement but it will be very very cool and very appreciated by many ana users like us.
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

... there is some more 1.5x anamorphics coming!
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram