Thread: HOW TO GENLOCK 4 RED DRAGONS TOGETHER?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 HOW TO GENLOCK 4 RED DRAGONS TOGETHER? 
    I HAVE AN SBT-3D FOR 3 BUT I NEED TO PUT 4 DRAGONS TOGETHER TO TAKE SOME PANORAMIC SHOTS.

ANYONE HAVS ANY ADVICE HOW TO GENLOCK ALL 4?

ANYONE TRIED THAT? I WANT TO TAKE SOME REALLY WIDE ANGLES BUT WITH NO DISTORTION AND GREAT CLARITY. 24K CLARITY.

THANKS!

You mean timecode sync?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

For that, you would need four SB-T's plus a master timecode generator from which to jam them. Denecke makes them, but you could really jam from anything, including a sound recorder provided it has a crystal-stabilized timecode oscillator. Ambient, Sound Devices, Cantar, Nagra... there's a lot of good timecode sources out there.

Once the SB-T's are jammed, they'll regenerate timecode and genlock for several hours. If they're aligned, I would bet they'll hold to less than 1/10th of a frame for more than 8 hours, but I would try to rejam every 8 hours if possible.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    You mean timecode sync?
    I want to record with all 4 cameras in-sync when I press the rec button in one camera as I do now when I film 3D
    I have 1 sbt-3 and a 788t so I can jam sync all of them to have the same timecode I believe.

The only thing I want is for all the Dragons to start recording in sync as I mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    For that, you would need four SB-T's plus a master timecode generator from which to jam them. Denecke makes them, but you could really jam from anything, including a sound recorder provided it has a crystal-stabilized timecode oscillator. Ambient, Sound Devices, Cantar, Nagra... there's a lot of good timecode sources out there.

Once the SB-T's are jammed, they'll regenerate timecode and genlock for several hours. If they're aligned, I would bet they'll hold to less than 1/10th of a frame for more than 8 hours, but I would try to rejam every 8 hours if possible.
    I have a 788t for jamming.
    How do I need to connect the sb-t's and how I jam them? With the 788t I suppose, ok.
    In a chain, how? hmmm
    Last edited by Ken Wilson; 06-18-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Isn't Genlock slightly more precise than timecode synch? AFAIK, genlock is normally used in the broadcast world to keep the alternating fields of the interlaced broadcast frame in synch while timecode assumes each frame is the full (non-interlaced) frame. Not sure exactly why you'd need that precision unless you're capturing for broadcast, but they are different.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

Would the AJA® GEN10 HD/SD/AES Sync Generator with Universal Power Supply work for you?

https://www.aja.com/products/gen10

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Wilson View Post
    I have a 788t for jamming. How do I need to connect the sb-t's and how I jam them? With the 788t I suppose, ok. In a chain, how? hmmm
    You momentarily connect the SB-T to the 788t timecode out, and it will automatically jam to the input signal. The Ambient TCO generator in the 788 is stable enough that it'll stay constant for at least 6-7 hours.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.E View Post
    Would the AJA® GEN10 HD/SD/AES Sync Generator with Universal Power Supply work for you?

https://www.aja.com/products/gen10
    Thank you! I will try that!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    You momentarily connect the SB-T to the 788t timecode out, and it will automatically jam to the input signal. The Ambient TCO generator in the 788 is stable enough that it'll stay constant for at least 6-7 hours.
    Thank you!