Thread: DSMC Fan 2.0 Top Fan Not Spinning

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 DSMC Fan 2.0 Top Fan Not Spinning 
    I just installed the 2.0 kit on the Epic and the top fans don't seem to spin...ever. I'm honestly not sure if they should but at 80% I'm assuming they would right?

https://youtu.be/bqfTF70I9iw

Can't seem to find any examples of the top fan in operation.

Your’s doesn’t work effectively. Are the connections ok?
    If you want you could buy the FanPlate and have a lower fan noise.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...anplate-Review
    https://sites.google.com/a/mecasax.c...ducts/fanplate
    Pat

Wait... You're the dude who can't update his firmware, right? And it's one of the earliest releases?

Check with your bombsquad rep (or the TopFan installation guide), but you might need to be on a specific firmware and above for the top fan to actually work.

(The front fan 2.0 would still work on older firmwares because all it is is switching to a fan that pushes more air, but still works via the same controls/voltage regulation.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Wait... You're the dude who can't update his firmware, right? And it's one of the earliest releases?

Check with your bombsquad rep (or the TopFan installation guide), but you might need to be on a specific firmware and above for the top fan to actually work.

(The front fan 2.0 would still work on older firmwares because all it is is switching to a fan that pushes more air, but still works via the same controls/voltage regulation.)
    That is funny Mike! you are brutal Manos!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    That is funny Mike! you are brutal Manos!!!!
    Hah! It's not like that; I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a thread where Tyler has tried a bunch of times to update his camera's firmware (even incrementally), but apparently it isn't updating. And I'm pretty sure the camera needs to be like fw6.0+ for the top fan to even be recognized.

Before remembering that, I did write out this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P.
    They always spin, just super low when not needed.

Make sure the fans spin freely while powered off. You may need to take it out and try gently spinning the fans with your finger from the bottom (as the fans are exposed underneath). I had a top fan that seemed to stick on the right fan (it could rotate via finger, but it didn't feel as smooth as the left side), so I blew some compressed air in it and a small twig blasted out.

When one side doesn't spin, they both don't and it was perplexing because of how it did turn via finger, it just didn't spin easily/freely (as in, very little debris/resistance can prevent the fans from turning). Anyway, after twig removal, it was aces!

Other than that, clean the contacts if you have some contact cleaner. Actually, if you try compressed air, and that doesn't work, try some compressed electronic/contact cleaner into the fan motors... might be worth giving it a blast of that as well.
    Hah, definitely not trying to be savage. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Hah! It's not like that; I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a thread where Tyler has tried a bunch of times to update his camera's firmware (even incrementally), but apparently it isn't updating. And I'm pretty sure the camera needs to be like fw6.0+ for the top fan to even be recognized.

Before remembering that, I did write out this:

Hah, definitely not trying to be savage. Lol.
    Haha no worries guys I'm shameless. And yes I still can't update. Sadly I looked and the connection seems to be burned or knocked off. It's missing a part of the metal connectors so I'm assuming this is why it's not recognizing it at all.

Talked to repa about both issues (firmware and fan) and as usual not much they can do because it cant be sent in anymore.

I'm gonna do some research and maybe find a way to DIY fix the fan connection component...thing. it'll be another fun experiment I don't mind doing on this classic guy. Seems like I can do anything to it and it just keeps going haha.