Thread: ONE / MX CF media

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 ONE / MX CF media 
    Hello all,
    I'm considering picking up a RED ONE MX as a project / hobby camera, and I'm trying to puzzle out the state of media for it in current year. I imagine that RED-approved CF cards are approaching their EOL cycle, and REDMAG modules are expensive (not to mention that REDMAGs too are getting long in the tooth). Is there a way to use new 3rd-party media on the MX or some other method of recording from the camera?

i would have two CF cards that you can have for little money.
    if i remembered correctly they allowed the use of 8GB Lexar cards, since they where basically the same.
    Would be nice though if the made a firmware update opening the RED One to write to any fast enough CF card.

I may have some 16gb cards you can have for the postage... PM if interested
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Hi Joshua,

You are only able to record footage via RED 8GB or 16 GB CF cards or Lexar 8GB cards. Your other options are the SSD REDMAGs which are still a bit expensive when you go to the higher capacity. Another option is to use the HDD Drives from RED which are basically big spinning hard drivers what connect to the One/MX via a drive cable socket located at the back of the camera.

These methods above are your only option to record footage from a RED One/MX - However, I still use the CF cards and do not have a problem with them at all - I will eventually upgrade to an SSD module once prices are a little cheaper. But don’t worry about the CF Cards being "old" they last a long time.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Seb

It is probably still possible to pick up a red-drive
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

This has come up many times and there has been no response from RED on it, so I would just assume that because the camera is EOL, they will not be allocating any resources to the camera.

I would go SSD and never look back. It changes the camera dramatically. I always hated the size of the RED Drives, especially the original configuration with the cradle. The CF cards were okay initially if you were doing short takes, but 16GB goes pretty fast and 8GB is like blink and it's full, so I would say at this point, find a camera that has the SSD module and keep an eye out for media in the marketplace. There are some 256GB SSDs going for under $500 right now. That may not sound like a bargain, but considering that SSD is the only option in my opinion and the 256GB cards used to go for a lot more money, I'd swoop them up and you will not regret it (assuming they are good mags and not treated badly).

I would welcome higher capacity solid state drive for the R1 but it's just not going to happen. I'm sure there has to be some satisfaction for Jim and Jarred to see people still shooting on the R1 12 years after it was released. In this day and age of new camera models coming out all of the time and last years tech so quickly "obsolete", to see people still using the OG 4K camera is kind of cool. I just used mine today.
    Steve Sherrick

Thank you for the information! I'll have to keep my eye out for a good package and an SSD module. Is there an off-the-shelf option for Canon EF? I just see PL and Nikon mounts for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Miner View Post
    Thank you for the information! I'll have to keep my eye out for a good package and an SSD module. Is there an off-the-shelf option for Canon EF? I just see PL and Nikon mounts for it.
    If you don’t need any kind of lens communication then go for the Leitax RED One EF mount. With that you can also buy a PL mount that screws into it when you need to use PL glass. I use this system with Contax lenses with Leitax EF adapters. Solid quality. If you need lens communication there was a product put out by Birger Engineering which may be available on the used market.
    Steve Sherrick

There was a Red One MX package with the SSD module on eBay for $2000.00. The Red's with the SSD module are out there, you just need to snag them ASAP. I love mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-One-MX-...p2047675.l2557
    ambrosiastudios.tv
    Red One MX SSD / Nikon and Xeen Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Beaty View Post
    There was a Red One MX package with the SSD module on eBay for $2000.00. The Red's with the SSD module are out there, you just need to snag them ASAP. I love mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-One-MX-...p2047675.l2557
    Looks like it went fast! As much as there are some drawbacks to the R1 in today's world, at that price, what a steal for indie filmmakers.
    Steve Sherrick