Thread: Sigma Cine Classics

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looks like Sigma is being super honest (little bit atypical for some of the optics guys;-) about the stop of these lenses... be interesting to see some footage.

We have the sigmas and they flare green (like lots of Japanese AR coated glass) so I do hope that is gone? Not sure I want to go all the way to uncoated but hey it is nice to see options...

Cost?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Its a shame they lost their speed, wish they figured out a way giving the lenses more character and also keeping their speed at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cage View Post
    Its a shame they lost their speed, wish they figured out a way giving the lenses more character and also keeping their speed at the same time.
    Don’t worry too much about the speed... sigma are brutally honest (many are not ....but I am not suggesting this in a big evil conspiracy way)

the f stop will be the same and the shadows will probably sit no lower than where they do now...

There is a lot of glass in modern optics and if you lose 4% per surface (from memory so please correct me if I am wrong) non coated lenses will knock a lot of light off path. However lots of that light still ends up on the sensor just not as direct scene referred image.... and that not-scene-referred-light is what lots of people enjoy in their images. Blooming, flaring, softened edges, lowered contrast, lots of different ghosts and lifted blacks...

But the no coatings vs different coatings argument is interesting and I sit on the different coatings side...
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Which cine lens companies are fibbing on their T stop claim?
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Don’t worry about the speed... sigma are brutally honest (many are not)

the f stop will be the same and the shadows will probably sit no lower than where they do now...

There is a lot of glass in modern optics and if you lose 4% per surface (from memory so please correct me if I am wrong) non coated lenses will knock a lot of light off path. However lots of that light still ends up on the sensor just not as direct scene referred image.... and that not-scene-referred-light is what lots of people enjoy in their images. Blooming, flaring, softened edges, lowered contrast, lots of different ghosts and lifted blacks...

But the no coatings vs different coatings argument is interesting and I sit on the different coatings side...
    Well if I am shooting in a dim lit location without acces to lights, I am worrying about the speed. One stop of light is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Looks like Sigma is being super honest (little bit atypical for some of the optics guys;-) about the stop of these lenses... be interesting to see some footage.

Canon lists the same T-stops for Sumire primes as regular CN-e's. Is that being less than honest or did they manage to produce a vintage-look without reducing transmission? I am aware that Canon claims the Sumires are an entirely new optical design from the CN-e's. But even if indeed the case they still managed to come up with a "vintage" look prime equally as fast as their non-vintage-look primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cage View Post
    Well if I am shooting in a dim lit location without acces to lights, I am worrying about the speed. One stop of light is a lot.
    Of course there will be situations when it is a real issue but from playing with other non-coated lenses it won’t feel as much as it is from a tstop POV.. because not all the picture will get darker equally.

... but in fairness I haven’t seen these lenses and I may be way off.

Ps John I wasn’t referring to the Sumires and have no knowledge of them...

PPS I have slightly changed my earlier post to better reflect my intentions
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Im super excited about these!

I have a set of Sigma primes and LOVE them.
    to have a vintage set of Sigmas is gonna be awesome.

Hope they dont do something stupid w pricing.

c
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema prime set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set