Thread: Unwanted frame playback size

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Unwanted frame playback size 
    I've been using RCX since it first came out on a number of different Mac computers. I am currently using RCX 51 on a 2017 iMac Pro but the following is a problem I've had on a bunch of different Mac computers and a bunch of different versions of RCX. When I change the frame size on a clip I almost always use "custom" and usually change it from something larger to 4096 x 2160. As I drag the red vertical and horizontal bars to change the frame size sometimes everything works as expected, but sometimes the "Playback Size," which I normally have on "Fit Both" changes radically for no obvious reason every time I try to drag a red line. Sometimes I can quit RCX and then start it again and it doesn't happen again. Sometimes I can restart the computer and it doesn't happen again. But sometimes it continues to happen no matter what I do.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Judy

Judy,

On my tablet now, so I will have to check on my computer later. Do you have the aspect ratio locked to a recognized standard in Redcine-X like 1.90:1, 16x9, 2.35:1, 2.40:1......etc? Plus at export, did you choose "Cropped" instead of "full" or something else?Also, I would lock an aspect ratio in the "Aspect Ratio" pulldown and expand the crop box to a desired resolution by dragging the edges then hold down, I think it's "Control" or "Shift", and move that box around from the center and no longer from the edges.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 07-14-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Judy,

Here is an Example of what I'm talking about on a PC.

In the example below I chose one of the Red Sample files which has a 6144x3160 Resolution , which about a 1.94:1 aspect ratio, kinda of none delivery aspect. I wanted to use a DCI aspect ratio of 1.90:1 instead. I chose a 5099x2684 Resolution after locking the "Aspect Ratio" pulldown of 1.9:1.

No matter how I decreased or increased the crop it stayed in a 1.9:1 aspect ratio. And If I hold down the "CTRL" key and move the crop box from inside and not from the edges, no matter where I move the crop box within the 6144x3160 frame, it will still be 5099x2684.

Here's the Crop I decided on which again is 5099x2684 a 1.9:1 DCI aspect ratio. I made sure to choose "Cropped" at Export and I used a ProRes 4444 codec and a "Primary Development Only(RWGLOG3G10)"

In Resolve I chose both a DCI 2048x1080 and a DCI 4096x2160 project and since the crop was a DCI 1.9:1 crop it fit perfectly in each with no "black bars" on the top or bottom. I chose a Medium /Soft IPP2 Output Transform Lut for this "Primary Development Only(RWGLOG3G10)" ProRes 4444 image.

Last edited by rand thompson; 07-14-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Rand, Thank you for your suggestion. I have not tried locking the aspect ratio in the past, but now I have. The problem isn't at export. It always happens before I ever get that far. But it is an unpredictable thing. Sometimes it doesn't happen until I've used the frame tool on a bunch of separate clips. So far, since I've locked the aspect ratio, it has worked fine. Now only time will tell.

Thank you so much!
    Judy

You're Welcome Judy! Maybe its just the large number of successive R3Ds being cropped that eventually causes you're computer to go a little wonky. Maybe try cropping a smaller group of R3Ds at a time to test if that prevents the problem from reoccurring. It may just be a graphics driver or OSX update that is needed also.