Thread: 2k prores is awesome

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher S Johnson View Post
    I love shooting Prores, except lately we've been having a lot of problems with Proxy Buffer Overflow. Supposedly it was fixed in firmware updates, but it recently ruined an interview session where we were rolling on hour long clips. I tried UDF and secure formatting, but as long as PBO is still an issue, R3D will always be my go to when you absolutely need the footage.
    I used to have this problem all the time when over cranking on FF Helium while recording .r3ds. I guess it was fixed because I have not had this problem in at least a year.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    The whole point of this is to not have to fuck with 4k. There is a ton of stuff that is never ever ever gonna be 4k. The client that wanted me to shoot 2k said, "our channel is 720p. Can you shoot that?" . I have to shoot a commercial for an old folks home. Nobody wants anything to do with any Ks. The editor certainly doesn't want to fuck with r3ds for this. 2k prores we can shoot all day without a DIT. It is a great work flow for stuff that doesn't need r3ds. Basically stuff that would shoot on a different camera. What I'm saying is rather than having to rent a low rent camera, or own a second camera, this works great.

I can definitely see a use for this. I've been shooting this year on rented red for some of the streaming platforms. I'm now going back to doing BBC work, who are pretty firmly entrenched in the past. Now I've used b red, I don't want to go back to anything else. This would be a great option. I've ordered a dragon X but don't have it yet. Does it always downscale from the full sensor? If you specify a smaller resolution, will it downscale from there?
    On dragon X, the sensor size will work perfectly with my lomos, I think on Gemini, they'd vignette at 5k, but probably be fine at 4.5k. I've been using the angenieux optimo zooms on gemini and they cover 4.5 but not 5 on Gemini (the 16-40)

I used proxies a lot next to the r3d´s when the function came out. But lately I skip it for two reasons that overlap with each other.

If I shoot something that does not need to be best ever possible picture quality then I still rather shoot compressed r3d´s than prores files. Those files are quite easy to handle and still got all the goodies with raw properties etc. I simply rather have 8k 14:1 r3d than 2k prores.

Then in the other scenario when I really want to get as much out of the camera as possible then even the prores proxy 2k eats a little bandthwidth that I rather put in the r3d.

At work our machines does realtime 8k full bandwidth no problem, so then the files / weight are no problem. and when I'm on my quite old laptop I just set the debayer to 1:16 and things move rather quickly so dont see an issue there.

Only time I find the prores files handy is when some body else is doing the editing and they are simply not educated enough to handle r3d´s. They sit in avid or such and does not want to learn new workflows, deal with clips setting etc. And there is is no DIT on set, just a data wrangler.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Only time I find the prores files handy is when some body else is doing the editing and they are simply not educated enough to handle r3d´s. They sit in avid or such and does not want to learn new workflows, deal with clips setting etc. And there is is no DIT on set, just a data wrangler.
    Yeah, this is exactly the scenario when I use prores ;-)