Thread: Using Zoom H6 on older Epic MX

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Using Zoom H6 on older Epic MX 
    Went through the old forums but can't find a solution that would let me record with the Zoom H6 and run it into the Epic MX properly.

The Zoom H6 has a single 3.5mm STEREO out port.

Anyone have suggestions, or even better, have done it?

If you pad the line-out of the H6, it should be able to go into the mic input of the Epic.

My advice: buy two timecode boxes and slave both the Zoom and the camera off them, so they have identical time-of-day timecode. This is a better syncing method than Plural Eyes or similar waveform-based systems. And be sure to use a clap-slate at the head of every scene (preferably a timecode slate, but that's optional).

Even better: avoid the Zoom and get a better audio recorder like a Sound Devices, a Zaxcom, or an Aaton. (There are affordable Sound Devices mixer/recorders out there with great timecode.) JWSoundgroup.net is a great resource for information, but read first before you ask questions.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    If you pad the line-out of the H6, it should be able to go into the mic input of the Epic.

My advice: buy two timecode boxes and slave both the Zoom and the camera off them, so they have identical time-of-day timecode. This is a better syncing method than Plural Eyes or similar waveform-based systems. And be sure to use a clap-slate at the head of every scene (preferably a timecode slate, but that's optional).

Even better: avoid the Zoom and get a better audio recorder like a Sound Devices, a Zaxcom, or an Aaton. (There are affordable Sound Devices mixer/recorders out there with great timecode.) JWSoundgroup.net is a great resource for information, but read first before you ask questions.
    We've got a dedicated sound guy for the shoot but he's never hooked up to the older epic so wanted to make sure I had a scratch audio option if things go wrong. Just plugged a 3.5mm line cable between the H6 and epic and works great! Gotta really finess the +30 on the epic because it really beats upthe signal I noticed. Super easy to peak the channel.

You can turn down the 1/8" line out on the H6. It's buried in the menus. I remember -25dB was good to get clean scratch audio into the EPIC from an H6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rHaMzPGu5c