Thread: Tstops Blog: Sigma Classic Lenses - finally get to talk about them....

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There is a difference between an experienced , competent designer putting his best efforts into a design with the results limited by the existing technology (Baltars, K35s, ) and a designer not really understanding our industry "breaking" the image in an attempt to match the former. This is a very good example of that...I think their time would be much better used in creating LUTs that mimic vintage/period look than trying to rehash a 50 year old tech.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    So far, personally what I like about these vs Vista Ones is how wild ass crazy they are.

No half measures were taken... gotta admit I like the detune on the “MasterBuilt” version of Tokina Vistas too...
    What's this about "MasterBuilt" Tokina Vistas?
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

MasterBuilt is a mod of Tokina Vistas marketed to be “like canon K35s”
    Last edited by Dan Kanes; 07-24-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    MasterBuilt is a mod of Tokina Vistas marketed to be “like canon K35s”

If I'm not mistaken you are mixing up Tokina with T M Camera Solutions MasterBuilt Vista-M Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Kachibaia View Post
    If I'm not mistaken you are mixing up Tokina with T M Camera Solutions MasterBuilt Vista-M Lenses
    The housings are damn near identical (down to the screw hole placement). They're quite clearly Tokina Vistas with some extra spice.

Wouldn't use them for everything, but I quite like the look of these--modern sharpness and geometric correction, but the flare reduces the clinical quality that I sometimes dislike in Sigmas. That said, for a lot of projects, I'd want to have the regular Sigmas around in case I couldn't avoid having a window in frame at a time when the veiling flare is distracting-- you can't easily deal with it the way you might flag off (or move!) a point light source.
    Or could you use a multi-coated clear filter to reduce glare?

Not totally on topic but I have the regular Sigma Primes and I would so like something longer than 135mm. Anyone have inside knowledge about Sigma releasing longer primes in the near future?

Sigma tele-extenders are good quality
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Not totally on topic but I have the regular Sigma Primes and I would so like something longer than 135mm. Anyone have inside knowledge about Sigma releasing longer primes in the near future?
    I'm sure they are cooking up something. I don't think the set will end at 135. No real insight but they seem to be really going for it.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    There is a difference between an experienced , competent designer putting his best efforts into a design with the results limited by the existing technology (Baltars, K35s, ) and a designer not really understanding our industry "breaking" the image in an attempt to match the former. This is a very good example of that...I think their time would be much better used in creating LUTs that mimic vintage/period look than trying to rehash a 50 year old tech.
    A lens manufacturer creating LUT's? Is this what you're suggesting? I know you're well aware that no LUT can mimic the flaring and ghosting characteristics of vintage lenses. Colour and contrast, sure, but those other aberrations, no, and that is a big part of the appeal of the Classics.

In my conversation with Kazuto Yamaki at NAB 2017 he asked me what the market is looking for, what they should develop next. I told him two things: uncoated optics and anamorphics, this is what our customers are asking for (at that time). Today you see where Sigma is heading. I think Sigma have a pretty good understanding of the industry today, they consult with a lot of partners globally, their mechanical execution may not be on par with the established brands but there is no doubt that they have knocked it out of the ball park with the initial Sigma Cine lenses. We'll see how well accepted the Classics perform. Judging by the immediate requests by DP's to test and even use on big budget TV series I think they will do quite well.