Thread: Was Jinnimag Thread Removed?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz Mawlawi View Post
    Being disruptive is more than just price....
    They have one of the cheapest 8k cinema camera's and the m500 mSATA drives are cheap compared to the competition(SxS, CODEX, etc...), pretty disruptive...

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    It.Was.Never.About.The.Price.

As already mentioned, this discussion is older than the recent JinniMag thread.

Will they be: "we could have done this previously, but at least we're doing it now", or will they be further entanglements and added validation why it was impossible before, but due to technical advacements in 2019, it's doable now?
    As I don't have a camera, I avoided jumping on the subject, but somehow I feel, that people are steering this conversation away from the real subject- Red's less than reticent behavior toward openness and full disclosure.
    I happen to agree, it was never about the cost.
    So, let me bring up another example from not too distant past, when Red was less than helpful- the Red Rocket.
    As, I'm sure, you all remember, at the beginning decoding R3Ds was not a trivial matter. For while QuickTime files were provided along with R3Ds, but for many reasons, that scheme was quickly discarded.
    I know for a fact, that a few software manufacturers came up with a clever software solution, a workaround if you will, very early in the process, that could make the use of R3D much less taxing, but that idea too was stopped dead in its tracks after they received a very stern warning from Red. Which brought us the original RR card. That card was just a rebadged Atomix card made by DVS with, surprise, custom Red firmware. But, as you all know, if anything broke on that card, you'd have to buy a new one. I know of one software/hardware manufacturer, that got so fed up with this policy, that they wrote their own firmware for those DVS cards, which they were then able to provide to their own customers with a warranty. Shortly after that some users started to ask if debayer could be performed using GPU, but the official Red position at the time was, it's not possible to do. And then, not a long time ago, when RR was replaced by RRX, made by yet another company, Red triumphantly announced a GPU debayer. Everyone on RU was happy and in that thread I asked Red "What took you so long?". To which Jarred responded by calling me an "a..hole" and everyone else joining him in my condemnation.
    Oh well...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Iím really disappointed the original thread was removed.
    Not a good move and certainly not restoring any confidence by doing so.
    Jeff McCoy
    Camera Car Driver, 1st AC & Drone Pilot
    2x Monstros, Alexa Mini LF, Leitz primes, Full-Frame zooms, Prestons, Teradeks, OLED monitors, OíConnors, drones, Porsche Camera Car, 4x4 Sprinter van & lots more!
    Arm Car: www.ArmCar.com
    Camera Rentals: www.industrialdigital.tv
    Instagram: @Industrial_Digital

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    As I don't have a camera, I avoided jumping on the subject, but somehow I feel, that people are steering this conversation away from the real subject- Red's less than reticent behavior.
    I happen to agree, it was never about the cost.
    So, let me bring up another example from not too distant past, when Red was less than helpful- the Red Rocket.
    As, I'm sure, you all remember, at the beginning decoding R3Ds was not a trivial matter. For while QuickTime files were provided along with R3Ds, but for many reasons, that scheme was quickly discarded.
    I know for a fact, that a few software manufacturers came up with a clever software solution, a workaround if you will, very early in the process, that could make the use of R3D much less taxing, but that idea too was stopped dead in its tracks after they received a very stern warning from Red. Which brought us the original RR card. That card was just a rebadged Atomix card made by DVS with, surprise, custom Red firmware. But, as you all know, if anything broke on that card, you'd have to buy a new one. I know of one software/hardware manufacturer, that got so fed up with this policy, that they wrote their own firmware for those DVS cards, which they were then able to provide to their own customers with a warranty. Shortly after that some users started to ask if debayer could be performed using GPU, but the official Red position at the time was, it's not possible to do. And then, not a long time ago, when RR was replaced by RRX, made by yet another company, Red triumphantly announced a GPU debayer. Everyone on RU was happy and in that thread I asked Red "What took you so long?". To which Jarred responded by calling me an "a..hole" and everyone else joining him in my condemnation.
    Oh well...
    I almost didn't buy a RED camera because of the Bloom situation... I don't know if other companies act like this, but hey, it is what it is... Elon was also being less than nice to a Tesla owner, but I don't think these CEO folks should be the front end customer service. If you like the hardware, then it's the beez kneez -- with that being said -- R3D is what sold me on RED in the first place, otherwise I'd probably be an Arri owner, but I've also heard their customer service is also out-of-line sometimes. I hate to say it, but I don't think these cameras should be owner ops like most are, otherwise you're gonna have to deal with customers. Bosses/CEO/Owners don't really understand that. And now, RED has made their cameras even cheaper, thus bringing more owner ops to the table, which must be frustrating for them. I don't know if they even know what they're doing in that regard. Still great images tho.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

RED. Please raise the prices back to Epic M days. So people can see what it feels like to spend 70k $$$ . My guess is most if not ALL people complaining were not from that time frame.
    LOTS OF EPICS.
    SHOTOVER #20 F1 CONTACT US FOR AERIALS!!
    Tempt Media Films
    www.temptmediafilms.com

Most people are complaining about what they feel where dishonest claims made by RED not about the cost of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff McCoy View Post
    Iím really disappointed the original thread was removed.
    Not a good move and certainly not restoring any confidence by doing so.
    I agree, I think it was a huge error of judgement.
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

I think it was insane for RED to allow any of this Jinni talk in the first place. They own this website. Why allow all this bitching and moaning on a website they own? Bitch on Facebook or Twitter.

If people don't like the price, they are free to purchase another camera system.

I'm really only 50% fanboy, I really appreciate how this forum has helped me over the years. My employees and I have learned a great deal of information about RED cameras, cinematography, lighting, and post-production here. More importantly, we have sold tens of thousands of dollars of gear here over 10 years avoiding Ebay and PayPal fees. What a great service to the community. Additionally, when Jinni starts attacking Phil Holland, then they have lost me. Phil has created a multitude of charts, lenses guides, and valuable tutorials.

Ok, can someone please explain the attack, Iíve been noticing that word being thrown around among this topic and it seems as if calling out someoneís written statements is an attack. You can be attacked with your own actions and words??? Or are those facts and events that happened. Iím OldSchool so please someone help me understand the new age....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    I agree, I think it was a huge error of judgement.
    as we all know, that thread was removed b/c certain folks wanted to erase the crazy statements they made that were publicly visible...

but, of course this action now simply completely opened the can of worms, b/c when we were on reduser discussing, there was a chance for RED to chime in etc etc etc

now that happened, again for the Xth time here on reduser, this is being discussed elsewhere and it's literally open season...

I thought it couldn't get funnier, but it did. ;-)

it's also interesting how people say "it got personal" when other folks are literally simply quoting their statements verbatim......... ;-)

@Blackstone: I 100% agree w/ ur last post.