Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 279 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2787
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Depends on the gain structure applied to the sensor data, it would also modify the metadata associated with the file.
    Yes, with dual analog gain ISO equivalent, such as in Gemini, the captured result differs since the sensor is pushed electronically, unlike software compensation ISO emulation, where sensor data is the same, just presented differently, as if pushed in post. So the higher the "ISO" the reduced bits per distributed luminance, so consequently reduced fruther manipulation range in post. So - not to be taken as "free ride apart from noise levels" exposure feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    So, while not actually disagreeing with how you see it or looking for an argument, here's a different interpretation/opinion -

The RED sensor and colour-science development is actually more in line with the history and intent of photo-chemical film advancements than its competitors.

While the ARRI sensor and colour-science development is more of an attempt to replicate in the digital format where photo-chemical film was at a particular stage of its development. It's more of a caricature of film than a progression for or advancement of it, compared to RED.
    There is no further progression or advancement from a natural looking consistent image.

There is no "caricature" with Arri.
    Whatsoever.

Digital cinema cameras can certainly mimic the aesthetic characteristics of film in most meaningful ways. But I don't think that should prevent exploring and inventing new aesthetic techniques that are unique to the digital medium. We can pay homage to the past without being constrained by it.
    Natural looking image properties are not related to film medium only but primarily to properties of human vision. Using that as a reference is not being "constrained by the past", it is harmonization of image properties with human visual apparatus.

A global shutter in a wide dynamic range HDR capable high resolution camera is a significant step forward in this respect.

HDR is an image presentation thing and has nothing to do with the camera, apart from recording bit depth sufficent for gamma/gamut transformation without the image falling apart. "HDR capable" sticker on a camera is mostly marketing fancy wrapper.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Vth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    LxWxH = ~4" x ~4.96" x ~5.67"

Bare in mind, that's without a module needed to power it/turn it on (which adds ~2" of length), without a means to control the camera, without a means to view the image, and without a lens mount (all of which are included in the Komodo's 4x4x4 "brain")
    Not exactly. It has a lens mount if RF only. We need an accurate overlay. There are some very slim red batteries. Slim 3rd party PL mounts, and a very slim Canon mount. 4in monitor is tiny as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    I Just thought about Red's partnership announcement with Atomos which I believe was around January of this year. Will that factor into encoding into additional New/Other Raw Codecs from the 4K SDI output of Komodo into an Atomos external recorder?
    Sorry but Im not so technical some times. But could you record via the 4K SDI our 120fps externally via the Atoms?
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Sorry but Im not so technical some times
    Russ,

You and me both, I'm not to sure myself. I had come across a "bookmark" I'd saved a while back about the subject. I was just wondering about the potential for a 4k SDI output other than for monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    We need an accurate overlay. There are some very slim red batteries. Slim 3rd party PL mounts, and a very slim Canon mount. 4in monitor is tiny as well.
    This should give you some idea. Same lens.

The Komodo (assuming nearly 4"x4"x4") is going to be like DSMC2 brain with the bottom inch and a half cut off and the SSD module shaved.

The beauty is that everything is internal, no need for an additional module for power and I/O. Media is inside the body too. It's like half the volume of a DSMC2 with a battery module.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    Sorry but Im not so technical some times. But could you record via the 4K SDI our 120fps externally via the Atoms?
    Russ, You and me both, I'm not to sure myself.
    While some cameras may have internal codec limitations that cap frame rate (oftentimes arbitrarily imposed so as not to cannibalize higher end models la Canon and Sony), this isn't the case here. The max frame rates are constrained by the sensor readout, so you won't be able to record higher frame rates over SDI than the sensor can actually provide.
    Last edited by Ryan Genova; 11-17-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Ryan, Thanks!

Ryan, Thanks!
    Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    This should give you some idea. Same lens.

The Komodo (assuming nearly 4"x4"x4") is going to be like DSMC2 brain with the bottom inch and a half cut off and the SSD module shaved.

The beauty is that everything is internal, no need for an additional module for power and I/O. Media is inside the body too. It's like half the volume of a DSMC2 with a battery module.
    It looks smallest when Christopher Bell was holding it.

It's also a smaller resolution so perhaps appropriate. Has anyone determined replacing their 8K Red with this? That is a step back in ways and forward in ways. They don't share accessories beside lenses. This takes to 2X anamorphic better.

Odds we will see 120fps at 1080p?