Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 371 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Has to be FF, no question, that's where the market is going and why use the RF lenses if not for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Worth View Post
    Has to be FF, no question, that's where the market is going and why use the RF lenses if not for this?
    Looking at the picture in Jarred's post it isn't FF

It looks more like a 6k (5um pixel) sensor (Dragon 6k size) at most.

You do not think it’s a Canon sensor?
    James Bridges
    Scarlet #651 "Maggie"
    www.typeamedia.com

4. #124 Walkarounding 
    I can think of a bunch of reasons to stay at S35 vs FF or VV - especially if size, data rates, heat dissipation, etc are part of the design envelope. I love larger formats, but for a lot of production situations it can be more trouble than its worth, starting with shorter DoF. Let the Komodo be the ideal mix of size and capabilities that will make it a great tool in situations where you don't want a bigger footprint.

+1 on power draw/battery note. In that same vein, I'd love to have a well implemented "standby" mode to avoid missing a unique "moment" during boot up. I realize that the sensor might not be at the ideal temp in a quick start scenario, but perhaps that can be compensated for to some degree. IAC, I'm looking for an option other than:

1) keeping it running - burning batteries and generating heat
    2) staring at the boot screen while I miss the shot of the day

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Looking at the picture in Jarred's post it isn't FF

It looks more like a 6k (5um pixel) sensor (Dragon 6k size) at most.
    $6k for 6k still has a nice ring to it.

The active area of that particular sensor does look quite a bit smaller than the gate... However, that gate looks it could accommodate FF35, so maybe there'll be an FF35 version?!

Also if that is in fact an RF mount, then it looks like it'll be a 3:2 sensor, which is the new hotness for anamorphic... And if the sensor is ~6kx4k, it'd give you ~8k Ana desqueeze, which is a nice middle ground.

Whatever Komodo is, I imagine it will be something very cool and ground breaking! Stay tuned folks...
    Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    Golden Gate 3D - www.gg3d.com

Co-Producer, IMAX film CUBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijvjeZ89qY
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stevegibby/

Is it possible that Komodo is some kind of sensor box where you can have all different kinds of RED sensors.. could it possibly connect to a base (like DSMC2 and beyond) with a cord for high end recording AND also be a stand alone little camera with R3D Lite?
    That could be pretty neat :)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbridges View Post
    You do not think it’s a Canon sensor?
    I have no idea if it's a canon sensor, I know that it is a RF mount and that the sensor is smaller than a canon full-frame sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    Is it possible that Komodo is some kind of sensor box where you can have all different kinds of RED sensors.. could it possibly connect to a base (like DSMC2 and beyond) with a cord for high end recording AND also be a stand alone little camera with R3D Lite? That could be pretty neat :)
    I think there are a lot of applications for small, high resolution camera heads connected to external infrastructure. For starters, I expect use of remote PTZ rigs that leverage modern robotics tech to become popular for a wide variety of live coverage use cases. Tokyo 2020 anyone?

If I were wagering, I'd bet on a S35-ish 8K sensor - that's not field swappable. Why? Anything bigger than S35 only increases the size of the unit and makes focus at longer focals more challenging. It's hard to imagine a design that would support sensor changes in the field without adding at least some size/weight/cost/complexity/etc. Now if you want to talk DSMC3...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    It's hard to imagine a design that would support sensor changes in the field without adding at least some size/weight/cost/complexity/etc. Now if you want to talk DSMC3...
    You could have a Komodo for each of your sensors. So no swapping of sensors just swap the Komodo... aaand maybe it could be a part of DSMC3 but also be quite functional with DSMC2 somehow...
    Ok - just some wild speculations going on here :)