Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 261 of 348 FirstFirst ... 161211251257258259260261262263264265271311 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,610 of 3474
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    I assume the Komodo will crop its sensor for lower resolutions. 2K crop of a 6K S35 sensor is pretty dramatic. Here it is compared to full frame: http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...20Still%203:2&

So even if it does do 120fps at 2K, I'm not sure how usable it will be. I think if you need 120fps often, this is not the camera for you.

The global shutter may also impose absolute frame rate limits. So I'm not sure if we can extrapolate frame rates at lower resolutions based on previous Red cameras.
    Not necessarily.
    If you've used a Helium at 2K, then the Komodo 2K crop is comparable and a wee bit larger.
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

To me, it's all about how you plan on using it and what sort of glass you attach to it.
    For 5K and below, this SpeedBooster makes a lot of sense!
    https://www.metabones.com/products/d...B_SPEF-EFR-BT1
    And with the +1 stop of light for high FPS, this will be very useful!

Indeed, with Global Shutter we may have a lower maximum fps, but if there is a mode that allows to deactivate it, then all bets are off.
    For me, Komodo is the best hand-held, run&gun, gimbal and drone Cinema Camera!

@Jarred and @Matt, should we expect some GDU handles and other goodies for Komodo or are the existing ones going to fit?
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE Camera #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

I’d like to use my 16mm and S16 glass with Komodo. At 4.4u pixel size, it looks like 2.5k 16:9 would be pretty close to S16 crop.

Are all of the various cropped formats for Reds in Phil’s comparator tool actually available in the menus? Do the options vary with different models?

What are Komodo’s format choices likely to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    To me, it's all about how you plan on using it and what sort of glass you attach to it.
    For 5K and below, this SpeedBooster makes a lot of sense!
    https://www.metabones.com/products/d...B_SPEF-EFR-BT1
    And with the +1 stop of light for high FPS, this will be very useful!
    Sure. Just seems like quite a compromise to shoot with a 4x crop factor to get 120fps. I'm sure it will work in some situations.

I think that metabones speedbooster will be a brilliant addition to Komodo. Anyone know if there's a downside? Extra glass causing IQ issues? Also nice to have it on all the time as it will protect the sensor from dust.

Are you sure it won't cover 6K? 1.42 (Komodo crop factor) x 0.71 (speedbooster) = 1. So if my math is correct, the speedbooster will almost perfectly negate the crop factor on Komodo.

Are you sure it won't cover 6K? 1.42 (Komodo crop factor) x 0.71 (speedbooster) = 1. So if my math is correct, the speedbooster will almost perfectly negate the crop factor on Komodo.
    Unless an official accessory adapter is released specifically for the Komodo by GDU or Metabones, I will be getting one of these to try it out.

Komodo has a diagonal slightly larger than APS-C (for which the SpeedBooster is intended), so we may experience some vignetting at Full Frame 6K.
    Time will tell...
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE Camera #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Sure. Just seems like quite a compromise to shoot with a 4x crop factor to get 120fps. I'm sure it will work in some situations.

Extra glass causing IQ issues?
    The cool think about it is, can actually *improve* image quality, for the same reason downsampling in post does so. Take a lens designed with resolving power to project great detail across 36mm and squeeze that detail into 24mm...depends on the exact design of the lens, of course.

They're designed in most cases for 1.5x or smaller sensors, so there's a risk they wouldn't cover 1.42x. That's fairly close though, it may be worth trying, and it may depend on the lens. Also, there are now a few medium format speedboosters designed to go from 645 to FF35, theoretically you might be able to rig something together with one of those, you'd need another adapter on the front to change lens mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I have zero interest in the Z mount, personally. Which I guess means... that probably is not going to happen.
    Can I ask why? I understand if it'd been a question of EF or F that the latter is more widely used especially in the cine side of things, and I gather that its protocols are more straightforward and well-known. But as to RF and Z both being totally new, I'd have said 'might as well choose the Z for its slightly wider throat and shorter flange back.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Can I ask why? I understand if it'd been a question of EF or F that the latter is more widely used especially in the cine side of things, and I gather that its protocols are more straightforward and well-known. But as to RF and Z both being totally new, I'd have said 'might as well choose the Z for its slightly wider throat and shorter flange back.'
    This choice is pretty easy to understand. Canon is financially fine as a company and they will no doubt be releasing complete sets of RF mount cine lenses at some point. I think Red wanted to adopt a lens system that would take advantage of the best available glass also... A system with exciting glass. From my personal experience of having owned both the Nikon Z and the EOS R, I can tell you that Red made the right call. The new Canon RF glass is excellent, far superior to Nikons lackluster Z-mount offerings.
    Last edited by Han Vogen; 11-28-2019 at 09:25 AM.

The cool think about it is, can actually *improve* image quality, for the same reason downsampling in post does so. Take a lens designed with resolving power to project great detail across 36mm and squeeze that detail into 24mm...depends on the exact design of the lens, of course.

They're designed in most cases for 1.5x or smaller sensors, so there's a risk they wouldn't cover 1.42x. That's fairly close though, it may be worth trying, and it may depend on the lens. Also, there are now a few medium format speedboosters designed to go from 645 to FF35, theoretically you might be able to rig something together with one of those, you'd need another adapter on the front to change lens mount.
    Interesting point regarding improved IQ. Thanks Lee. If my numbers are right that speedbooster should make the Komodo behave exactly like a full frame camera with no crop factor or vignetting, since the crop factor with the speedbooster will be 1x.

The cool think about it is, can actually *improve* image quality, for the same reason downsampling in post does so.
    Um....no. IQ is IQ. Yes, it is possible to increase a resolution metric, say from 24 lp/mm to 36 lp/mm. But if the FF lens is only able to resolve X line pairs total, shrinking the image size down is not going to resolve more line pairs, which is IQ. It can at most resolve some fraction of that number in a smaller area. It is the fraction of remaining line pairs resolved, not the smallness of the area that determines IQ.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

None of those Canon lenses are resolving at 8k full frame.