Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 262 of 356 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266272312 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 3560
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    None of those Canon lenses are resolving at 8k full frame.
    Full frame 8K is 33MP... I think you’ll find that most of the recent L series lenses can easily resolve that. And the RF glass will need to be capable of 100MP plus to deal with the new sensors that are in the pipeline.

For reference Canon certified the below EF lenses as capable of resolving the 50.6MP images from the Canon 5DS and 5DSR. By all accounts the new RF glass is far superior to EF lenses:

https://media.the-digital-picture.co...ist-Source.jpg
    Last edited by Han Vogen; 11-28-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Um....no. IQ is IQ. Yes, it is possible to increase a resolution metric, say from 24 lp/mm to 36 lp/mm. But if the FF lens is only able to resolve X line pairs total, shrinking the image size down is not going to resolve more line pairs, which is IQ. It can at most resolve some fraction of that number in a smaller area. It is the fraction of remaining line pairs resolved, not the smallness of the area that determines IQ.
    Surely if the speedbooster increases the lp/mm that will result in an improvement in IQ for sensor sizes smaller than what the lens was designed for? I agree the lens itself won't resolve more line pairs, but more line pairs will be projected onto the sensor. Of course this assumes the speedbooster is ideal.

IMHO The biggest issue shooting crop sensor 2k on red is not just the crop factor but the fact the image gets massively soft and super noisy. On MX and dragon, i'd dial down to the iso to 250-320 and sharpen in post or shoot at higher res & use twixtor / just use a cheapo FS700 (damn those things are going used for like £1400 used now!).

5k 50/60p would be magic and then lots of people will be using them for VR if they can take genlock, go on Jared, do it! Then watch the vr guys buy them in droves! ; ) Xmas wish.

The Komodo image size is going to work just great with Cooke SP and s4i glass too.

Once someone makes a super simple all-in one quick release shoulder mount with rods solution with rear rod mount production module for more IO and TC etc, it'll be interesting to see how much it gets adopted on sets, much like what the Alexa mini did to the XT's for narrative work. You could buy two, keep one stripped down for gimbal /action shots and B cam and the rig cam as A.

Arri still dominating the narrative market here though in the UK sigh ...

Craig Lees
    UK
    Last edited by Craig Lees; 11-29-2019 at 12:35 AM.

f
    Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    Full frame 8K is 33MP... I think you’ll find that most of the recent L series lenses can easily resolve that. And the RF glass will need to be capable of 100MP plus to deal with the new sensors that are in the pipeline.

For reference Canon certified the below EF lenses as capable of resolving the 50.6MP images from the Canon 5DS and 5DSR. By all accounts the new RF glass is far superior to EF lenses:

https://media.the-digital-picture.co...ist-Source.jpg
    IMO the ideal result is for the optics, lens/modifiers/olpf, to be the limiting factor on image resolution anyway. That way you avoid nyquist limit artifacts.

Ho ho ho ho I know at least one lense that I want to try on a Komodo !
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Are you sure it won't cover 6K? 1.42 (Komodo crop factor) x 0.71 (speedbooster) = 1. So if my math is correct, the speedbooster will almost perfectly negate the crop factor on Komodo.
    Aren’t Komodo supposed to be more like 1.3 crop...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    1.41 (43/30.56=1.407068062827225)
    Last edited by Bastien Tribalat; 11-29-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Ho ho ho ho I know at least one lense that I want to try on a Komodo !
    It's not a lens designed for short flange distances, so you're better off buying the EF mount version so you can use a speedbooster, canon's EF to RF adapter with built in ND, or other behind-the-lens solutions. Also easier to resell, too.

For short flanges, Laowa makes a 15mm that's a stop brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    I thought the same myself before I noticed that Phil's formatcompare uses horizontal not diagonal measurements for crop factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    I thought the same myself before I noticed that Phil's formatcompare uses horizontal not diagonal measurements for crop factor.
    That’s because the aspect ratios are not the same. So in terms of crop factor, we calculate off the horizontal measurement since that is the dominant AOV axis we’re concerned with. If aspect ratios would be the same, then you can calculate off of any dimension horizontal, vertical or diagonal if you please.

So in terms of primary AOV/FOV axis, the 35FF is 1.33x larger than Komodo (36/27.03 = 1.33), or a 0.77x center crop of the usable 35mm frame. If we calculate off diagonals, that just tells us the difference in surface area or how much relationship in image circle for lens coverage.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.