Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 180 of 371 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 3709
  1. #1791  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Touchscreens and sensors have nothing to do with processing potential. Older phones with significantly lower processing capacity are powerful enough for real time UHD debayer, image transformation, filters/FX, compression and recording, with parallel image analysis (multiple face and shape recognition, tracking etc). While doing a bunch of other stuff under the hood.
    Sure. I get that - I should have explained my point was that with so many users experiencing external issues, and the OS being older (and, I presume, more vulnerable), those things might be cause for concern of pushing the H1, a phone that didn't meet the Hydrogen team's expectations due to ODM failings
     

  2. #1792  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    438
    I won't be surprised if Hydrogen simply disappears and RED gives some sort of Komodo discount to owners to ease the sting. It really would not make sense -- for Komodo -- to offer a phone monitoring solution that only works on a phone that almost nobody owns. At the same time, if they offer the same monitoring to all phone types then Hydrogen owners will continue to wonder who moved their cheese. RED should just pull the Hydrogen band-aid off the rest of the way and move on.

    Pre-H it seemed like there was a likely RED M&A event about to happen but if that was ever the case, it seems dead now.
     

  3. #1793  
    Senior Member Bob Gundu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    10,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    I won't be surprised if Hydrogen simply disappears and RED gives some sort of Komodo discount to owners to ease the sting. It really would not make sense -- for Komodo -- to offer a phone monitoring solution that only works on a phone that almost nobody owns. At the same time, if they offer the same monitoring to all phone types then Hydrogen owners will continue to wonder who moved their cheese. RED should just pull the Hydrogen band-aid off the rest of the way and move on.

    Pre-H it seemed like there was a likely RED M&A event about to happen but if that was ever the case, it seems dead now.
    Any Android phone will work as well.
    ___________________________

    VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram
     

  4. #1794  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    I won't be surprised if Hydrogen simply disappears and RED gives some sort of Komodo discount to owners to ease the sting. It really would not make sense -- for Komodo -- to offer a phone monitoring solution that only works on a phone that almost nobody owns. At the same time, if they offer the same monitoring to all phone types then Hydrogen owners will continue to wonder who moved their cheese. RED should just pull the Hydrogen band-aid off the rest of the way and move on.

    Pre-H it seemed like there was a likely RED M&A event about to happen but if that was ever the case, it seems dead now.
    This makes no sense and certainly is not the way Red and Jannard roll. Komodo is designed to interface directly with Hydrogen for supplemental processing capabilities that don't exist within the camera. Between Komodo and Hydrogen you are looking at millions in investment that won't be abandoned because of minor design and execution defects with H1 all of which are addressable with H2. Komodo and Hydrogen are too interdependent for important operating features to be abandoned.

    There was a period in the development of Red One where they were at the alpha test stage for complete cameras. They were only a few months from product release when they found a flaw in the sensor itself. That required a redesign and complete new sensor fabrication as well as starting over with the whole calibration and testing process. It set them back nearly a year.

    There was a lot of negativity during this period, some calling the whole thing a scam. But Red One did become a ground breaking immensely successful camera. Red Digital Cinema is now one of the top three ranked camera systems in the high end professional market.

    Anyone who has followed Red and Jannard over the last 15 years understands that he does not give up his pursuit of a concept because of a few setbacks. He also doesn’t make the same mistakes twice.

    Hydrogen as an exceptional smart phone that is your primary carry everywhere, do everything prosumer level media device exists because Jim wants one for himself, not because he wants to take over the consumer mass phone market. That is why I know there will be an H2 and it will solve all the shortcomings that frustrate H1 owners, because Jim is at least as frustrated with them as anybody and he has a lot more skin in the game.

    Of course he would like the product and the venture to prosper. The Hydrogen concept obviously has broad appeal. It is also technically feasible if devilishly challenging from an engineering standpoint. Jannard’s long term success record with such premium products is exceptional though.
     

  5. #1795  
    Senior Member Rakesh Malik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    This makes no sense and certainly is not the way Red and Jannard roll. Komodo is designed to interface directly with Hydrogen for supplemental processing capabilities that don't exist within the camera. Between Komodo and Hydrogen you are looking at millions in investment that won't be abandoned because of minor design and execution defects with H1 all of which are addressable with H2. Komodo and Hydrogen are too interdependent for important operating features to be abandoned.
    THAT makes sense. It's what I'd expect, and it's very akin to how Red got started making cameras. Its first ones had lots of issues and Red didn't let that stop it then, why would it let the first Hydrogen's tepid success hold it back now?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik
     

  6. #1796  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    This makes no sense and certainly is not the way Red and Jannard roll. Komodo is designed to interface directly with Hydrogen for supplemental processing capabilities that don't exist within the camera. Between Komodo and Hydrogen you are looking at millions in investment that won't be abandoned because of minor design and execution defects with H1 all of which are addressable with H2. Komodo and Hydrogen are too interdependent for important operating features to be abandoned.
    Sure, but Red HAS made things that have either never been released (Meizler module, although that was later integrated into other products), or were made and they never really furthered them even though there were plans to (like REDRay).

    You can look at this list of products RED won't support or repair anymore: https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...inued-Products

    Those things were all time and millions in investment. I don't think Komodo would be so dependent on a phone that didn't really sell well to begin with - I'm not sure how many REDusers own an H1 (or kept theirs). Again, with all of the bad press out there on the phone lacking and having issues, I don't think it seems wise that RED would put all of their eggs into the H1 basket for Komodo to really perform.
     

  7. #1797  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,131
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Sure, but Red HAS made things that have either never been released (Meizler module, although that was later integrated into other products), or were made and they never really furthered them even though there were plans to (like REDRay).

    You can look at this list of products RED won't support or repair anymore: https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...inued-Products

    Those things were all time and millions in investment. I don't think Komodo would be so dependent on a phone that didn't really sell well to begin with - I'm not sure how many REDusers own an H1 (or kept theirs). Again, with all of the bad press out there on the phone lacking and having issues, I don't think it seems wise that RED would put all of their eggs into the H1 basket for Komodo to really perform.
    Ending support for obsolete products, for which original parts no longer exist is not the same thing as abandoning an entire brand and business over minor issues with the first generation.
    Did Samsung quit making phones because Galaxy 7's literally went up in flames and were banned from airplanes?

    There is a quote from Thomas Edison posted on the walls of our local GE plant regarding his attempts to make the first commercially viable light bulb: " I have not failed 10,000 times. I have discovered 10,000 ways that won't work"
     

  8. #1798  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    207
    New article on Filmmaker Magazine with Soderbergh. He says this about the Komodo:
    "I was using the new Red Komodo, which is the best of both. It’s extremely small, but it’s got a full-sized sensor. You can strip it down to absolutely nothing and it’s truly quite small and light. The lens is bigger and heavier than the body. Or you can very easily—if you need a little bit of mass because of the shot you’re doing, whether it be handheld or whatever—put some gak on it and give it a little more weight and turn it into that tool. We were the first people to get it. These bodies were hot off the bench. I was very, very pleased with what it allowed me to do. It was small enough for me to be able to put it anywhere I wanted very quickly but big enough to give me the aesthetics and the practicality that a “normal” camera would give me. It was pretty exciting."

    And then said: "I guess my question for them is: are people supposed to use this now? I have three Monstro bodies. I’m wondering what I do with those. Rent them out, I guess."

    That second one is a pretty crazy statement. Does this mean that the Komodo could be full-frame, or at lest pretty close to it? Perhaps Super35+ like Gemini size?
     

  9. #1799  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin Sheldon View Post
    New article on Filmmaker Magazine with Soderbergh. ...
    Is it this one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mickelsen View Post
    Interesting article about Steven Soderbergh in Filmmaker Magazine. He mentions shooting on Komodo.

    https://filmmakermagazine.com/108310.../#.XYVtJcplCfA
    The VV size speculation has been refuted. But it could very well be full size by cinema standards, which would make it S35 or a little bit larger.
    So the S35+ possibility is still open :)
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser
     

  10. #1800  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    419
    That’s an old article
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts