Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 234 of 283 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2828
    This may seam like a strange question but will the Komodo have a OLPF in front of the sensor?

I replaced the one on my URSA mini with a third party one ‘Rawlite’ to get rid of morie and IR ( it’s really bad on the URSA ) as the one that comes with the URSA mini isn’t very good.... like at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stanley View Post
    This may seam like a strange question but will the Komodo have a OLPF in front of the sensor?

I replaced the one on my URSA mini with a third party one ‘Rawlite’ to get rid of morie and IR ( it’s really bad on the URSA ) as the one that comes with the URSA mini isn’t very good.... like at all.
    That's just about guaranteed with a RED camera, you shouldn't have to worry. IR also shouldn't be much of an issue, RED tackled that problem years ago. I still don't understand why Blackmagic is putting out cams that are susceptible to these issues, but at least there's a third party solution for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    - Lens Mount = Integrated Canon RF Mount (easy to adapt to nearly anything)

Easy, but is it expensive? Anything else to consider?

Since this has a smartphone screen wifi all the bells and whistles. What about privacy? Can you remove the antennae if you want say, a camera. Like the cameras of the past 100 years and all of human experience?

I will getting one but what about that, privacy. Ability to be hacked.

If it has an antenna and the wifi it's not safe.
    On camera wi-fi is apparently for wireless control only. No video. All of the video, streaming, proxie recording and other functions will require a hard connected smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
    Man really not a fan of that UI. Here's hoping it gets simplified with some more professional and minimalist design queues. The gradient/dropshadow buttons look pretty dated and the sliding scale graphic seems pretty divergent from the rest of the design style with lots of extra kind of meaningless graphics in it that don't really add anything. Why not just use the standard red dsmc1/dsmc2 menu as a style guide for komodo? Not really that big a deal in the end but I don't really why it would diverge so much from existing styles. And the old-android phone design queues don't really inspire confidence or a premium feel. I guess we'll see how it ends up looking.
    Umm...Word. I know, everyone's a critic and no one asked our opinions. There are people who've already expressed how much they like the UI (though, now I question their judgement in all things). And, there's nothing to say that I would like alternate designs that Noah or Andrew would like. I'm sure Matthew has put a lot of time and effort into it but, as he or any good creative will tell you, that doesn't always mean it's the right choice. I suppose it's meant to feel nostalgic, given the classic medium format camera form-factor, but I don't know if that's the right approach for a cutting-edge camera. Even the current DSMC UI is getting a little long in the tooth.

Skeuomorphism is harder to pull off these days in UI design without looking dated. I get not wanting to be bland and striving to differentiate from everyone else. There are ways to do that without getting carried away or heading in the wrong direction simply because that direction is different. I feel like the scale idea is overly ornate (like 80s and 90s Pontiacs) for no reason other than nostalgia. There's an odd mix of real-world design cues like highlights/shadows on rounded buttons that seem to depress into virtual cavities and graphic design cues like the faux dimensionality of the drop shadowed font on those same buttons. Drop shadows are fine but, if they're used to make type stand out from the background, that often indicates an issue with the initial design. The intense gradients and the embossing...it's all very throwbacky, which may be the point. I'm just not digging it. I know this kinda makes me sound like a douche. If it helps, design is my day-job (when I have one) and I crap all over things I've designed and music I've composed, some of which I've released. Yikes.

Like Noah said, in the end, it's not a huge deal but I don't think that UI is going to do RED or Komodo any favors.
    Last edited by Brian Boyer; 11-17-2019 at 06:45 AM.
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

www.harbonder.com

Strand on Soundcloud

Any hints about ISO ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyer View Post
    Umm...Word. I know, everyone's a critic and no one asked our opinions. There are people who've already expressed how much they like the UI (though, now I question their judgement in all things). And, there's nothing to say that I would like alternate designs that Noah or Andrew would like. I'm sure Matthew has put a lot of time and effort into it but, as he or any good creative will tell you, that doesn't always mean it's the right choice. I suppose it's meant to feel nostalgic, given the classic medium format camera form-factor, but I don't know if that's the right approach for a cutting-edge camera. Even the current DSMC UI is getting a little long in the tooth.

Skeuomorphism is harder to pull off these days in UI design without looking dated. I get not wanting to be bland and striving to differentiate from everyone else. There are ways to do that without getting carried away or heading in the wrong direction simply because that direction is different. I feel like the scale idea is overly ornate (like 80s and 90s Pontiacs) for no reason other than nostalgia. There's an odd mix of real-world design cues like highlights/shadows on rounded buttons that seem to depress into virtual cavities and graphic design cues like the faux dimensionality of the drop shadowed font on those same buttons. Drop shadows are fine but, if they're used to make type stand out from the background, that often indicates an issue with the initial design. The intense gradients and the embossing...it's all very throwbacky, which may be the point. I'm just not digging it. I know this kinda makes me sound like a douche. If it helps, design is my day-job (when I have one) and I crap all over things I've designed and music I've composed, some of which I've released. Yikes.

Like Noah said, in the end, it's not a huge deal but I don't think that UI is going to do RED or Komodo any favors.
    I’m more worried about the position of the mic and headphones input than UI design.

I can’t believe some of you are being so harsh on the UI.. Matthew is still working on it. A working UI is more important than a “flashy” or “sleek” design.
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    This is why Arri's still king of digital color science. And asking for having a color science closer to that of Arri's are always met with the criticism and "suggestion" that digital cameras are like different flavors of film stock. To that I say no, it isn't. Film stocks have had their development based on certain goals and as a whole, chemical film has had over a hundred years of development. Arri aimed to match up as close to film as possible and it shows. So doing the same with Redcode is not a bad thing. We don't even need to match up to Arri's color science, just match up to films like Mendes here points to. I don't think it's about being organic, I think it's about getting harmony in how colors interact. People talk about skin tones, but it's not really about that, it's about how colors behave over the DR spectrum.
    It's not about either/or.
    It's about all.

And that has already been achieved.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

About the UI...

I’m predicting this uses an android capable SOC (system on chip) as an “MCU”

Heck, maybe even a next gen Qualcomm Snapdragon...

If it’s running Android (or even if it’s not) a properly architected backend would allow for the UI to be less “hardcoded” and more of a “skin.”

Recurring revenue at the Komodo App Store selling OS skins ? Won’t have as many customers as google play or App Store - but could be an innovative development.

Plug in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and use your Komodo to do edits and upload from your cell phone or Starbucks WiFi ? Could this be the future of micro journalism ? I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daust View Post
    I can’t believe some of you are being so harsh on the UI.. Matthew is still working on it. A working UI is more important than a “flashy” or “sleek” design.
    Exactly. I like the ISO swipe ruler. What if the adjustment is not limited to intervals, but is continuous? Almost like an internal adjustable ND filter. Use it with scopes to adjust ETTR.