Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 32 of 371 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Monstro costs $40,000 just for the brain and near +/- $60,000 built out and can do 16-bit, 8K-FF resolution / 60fps @ 12:1 compression.

Gemini costs $19,000 for the brain and near +/- $30,000 built out and can do 16-bit, 5k-FF resolution / 60fps @ 6:1 compression.

Komodo will be offering 6k resolution at a price tag under +/- $7,000 (without Hydrogen).

So what does that tell us in the real world of R3D in corporate America with price-point?

Jared said it will not cannibalize DSMC2 and it is not a predecessor to DSMC3.... To my ears this leads me to the following assumptions...

1) 6k/30fps max OR severely limited compression & color depth (12-bit max) to not overstep DSMC2

2) (4k/120fps internal recording) - Canon and Sony have been dodging stepping up to the plate on this market with their gimbal favorable DSLR's for years (A7Siii /1dxiii?) in order to preserve FS7/C300. This I believe will be the true purpose and beauty of Komodo, with the ability for high frame rate gimbal work in such a small, affordable, and tough R3D package (B-Cam & Gimbal Cam for pro's / A-Cam for Prosumers)

2) Funny feeling this cam will be PRORES only.... WHY? (records to C-fast and will not use propriety media, full frame 6k resolution means high data rates, and most importantly how long has everyone been complaining that R3D's do not record high resolution PRORES internally and offer 4k SDI out. PRORES is the perfect solution for slicing down data rates without losing much on image quality. How good does 2k PRORES look recorded on DSMC2? Pretty stinking good surprisingly.... For this price point and position in the marketplace a lot of smaller productions (i.e. news, corporate ads, weddings, and docs) PRORES just makes sense for small productions who make their money off of reducing editing / production time. Many would praise PRORES over REDCode in post workflow. So would a lot of Colorists I deal with as crazy as that is. Furthermore, a lot of existing BM / Sony / Panasonic users also already own Small HD Monitors / Atomos recorders (hint hint 4k SDI out) and are already attuned to using PRORES flavors. In fact PRORES is pretty adored outside of the R3dcode community (i.e. Sony, Arri, Panasonic).

3)I could maybe see a new flavor of R3Dcode lite (Apple / Red collab) kind of like Pro-Res Raw for Sony / Panasonic or something for external recorders (4k SDI out) which may allow Komodo to achieve higher frame rates or better compression as you would with whatever is provided for internal recording. Hydrogen may have this capability built in somehow. I however will be very surprised if this camera offers full R3dcode and low compression rates at this resolution and price point.

Just my guess / 2 cents...
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI

- It is not 8k VV

--
    It can still be 6K VV

I would love a full-frame sensor, but APS-H or Super35mm would be great as well. Something like the 1.25x crop like on the Gemini would be nice as well.

Seems likely this will be a great budget camera with great features and an inferior sensor. Probably good for broadcast or budget shooters or as an inexpensive c-cam.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    Monstro costs $40,000 just for the brain and near +/- $60,000 built out and can do 16-bit, 8K-FF resolution / 60fps @ 12:1 compression.

Gemini costs $19,000 for the brain and near +/- $30,000 built out and can do 16-bit, 5k-FF resolution / 60fps @ 6:1 compression.

Komodo will be offering 6k resolution at a price tag under +/- $7,000 (without Hydrogen).

So what does that tell us in the real world of R3D in corporate America with price-point?

Jared said it will not cannibalize DSMC2 and it is not a predecessor to DSMC3.... To my ears this leads me to the following assumptions...

1) 6k/30fps max OR severely limited compression & color depth (12-bit max) to not overstep DSMC2

2) (4k/120fps internal recording) - Canon and Sony have been dodging stepping up to the plate on this market with their gimbal favorable DSLR's for years (A7Siii /1dxiii?) in order to preserve FS7/C300. This I believe will be the true purpose and beauty of Komodo, with the ability for high frame rate gimbal work in such a small, affordable, and tough R3D package (B-Cam & Gimbal Cam for pro's / A-Cam for Prosumers)

2) Funny feeling this cam will be PRORES only.... WHY? (records to C-fast and will not use propriety media, full frame 6k resolution means high data rates, and most importantly how long has everyone been complaining that R3D's do not record high resolution PRORES internally and offer 4k SDI out. PRORES is the perfect solution for slicing down data rates without losing much on image quality. How good does 2k PRORES look recorded on DSMC2? Pretty stinking good surprisingly.... For this price point and position in the marketplace a lot of smaller productions (i.e. news, corporate ads, weddings, and docs) PRORES just makes sense for small productions who make their money off of reducing editing / production time. Many would praise PRORES over REDCode in post workflow. So would a lot of Colorists I deal with as crazy as that is. Furthermore, a lot of existing BM / Sony / Panasonic users also already own Small HD Monitors / Atomos recorders (hint hint 4k SDI out) and are already attuned to using PRORES flavors. In fact PRORES is pretty adored outside of the R3dcode community (i.e. Sony, Arri, Panasonic).

3)I could maybe see a new flavor of R3Dcode lite (Apple / Red collab) kind of like Pro-Res Raw for Sony / Panasonic or something for external recorders (4k SDI out) which may allow Komodo to achieve higher frame rates or better compression as you would with whatever is provided for internal recording. Hydrogen may have this capability built in somehow. I however will be very surprised if this camera offers full R3dcode and low compression rates at this resolution and price point.

Just my guess / 2 cents...
    Prores data rates are significantly higher than RAW for any respectable quality. On top of that, encoding is much more processor intensive, hence why a lot of RED cameras cannot do high resolutions of Prores. If anything it will be the opposite and RAW only.

The real limitation is it not being a DSMC2 or DSMC3 body and probably not having any good accessories for things like Audio, which limits it to more of a pure cinema usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Have the FF DSLR lineup from Canon, Sony etc. killed the Monstro?
    Canon and Sony DSLRs are not TRUE FF cine cameras. They use trickery such as pixel binning. True 4k is 12mp. True 6K is 21mp. True 8K 36mp. Also the DSLRs do not shoot RAW even with an ATOMOS attached. However, you can still create something interesting with DSLRs, but keep in mind they still lack the Dynamic Range as well as other features REDs provide. Sony just introduced the 61mp A7R4 with 15 Stops DR yet it is only a 14bit photo cam with 8bit video. Most cams shoot 13-13.5 Stops for Vid @ 8-10bits with some dedicated bodies shooting 12bit internal/external. The new 100MP Fuji has 14 stops but it is also not raw. DSMC 2 are going to soon be replaced with advancements in sensor tech. RED One to the RED Epic body, DSMC 1 to the DSMC 2, notice how the tech is getting smaller and lighter. This new Komodo body may just be the testbed of the new DMSC 3 body design. It is up to us to test and give feed so the real DSMC 3 bodies will be just what the doctor ordered.
    Gabriel Scindian
    Instagram

Epic Dragon #04153 - FatBoy V2

I think the real answer is within the name itself Very clever name when your wikipedia the name. Komodo would translate into Small Dragon...

tough because Jarred states its not a Dragon or a Helium or a Gemini or a Monstro Sensor I would guess it could be a cut out of there next gen sensor . like the raven was a 4.5k cut out if the Dragon this would be a 6k cutout of a new gen sensor that you could get in 8K for your DSMC2 body ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon

The Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis), also known as the Komodo monitor .. A member of the monitor lizard family Varanidae

Varanidae = Sounds like Variable ND (confermed)
    monitor lizard family = External monitor called Komodo monitor

Young Komodo dragons are vulnerable and therefore dwell in trees, safe from predators and cannibalistic adults

The DSMC2 and Komodo will be a little cannibalistic to each other ..
    Andreas Gotfredsen - Cinematographer - Digital Creative Lead - Sweden

1X RED and a lot of gear. Worked for 15 Years in Advertising.

Most used lens: Sigma Cine T2 18-35

we have been testing the Komodo camera...a few shots here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue3b5pBypPE
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    we have been testing the Komodo camera...a few shots here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue3b5pBypPE
    +10 points to you sir
    Scarlet #03293
    Hydrogen Ti #1495

My take on Komodo specs:

S35 sensor (that's what it looks to me from the 1st pic). Add a speed booster you get around FF and get a stop extra
    OLPF Standard / non removable
    15 stops
    Dual ISO 800/3200
    Redcode Raw/ProRes (not simultaneous)
    6k (and 5k cropped) 24fps 5:1 / 50fps 10:1
    4k cropped 120fps 12:1
    2k cropped 240fps 8:1
    NP-F batteries (@30W/h consumption)
    Limited I/O options
    Price $5,450

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    I don't think you realize how many young film makers maxed out their CCs, took loans and "begged, borrowed and stole " to purchase a Monstro. Probably half of the Monstros sold from my conversations with them. They would all switch to Komodo FF in a heart beat. Not to mention the depreciation would hit Monstro and the uproar of the owners. Your situation is not the only one RED has to consider... No FF for sure- it doesn't look even close to FF in pix....
    That probably isn't the smartest group of people... Switching would probably do them some good then.