Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 72 of 371 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Red needs to either mount up to the competition and release Komodo with capabilities that destroy ZCam and BM's lineup, disrupting their offerings and doing it at just a slightly higher price. And to do so, Red might need to risk disrupting their own lineup.
    Agree fully with this. Red should be bold and be disruptive, even if it ended up affecting their higher-end cameras a bit in the long run.. on the other hand, in the long run, the higher-end can always go higher specs wise with new models and price of existing models usually drop. I think the success of C300 in mid-range was the result of the unexpected success of something that was surely meant to be a niche feature, the video mode on 5DmkII. I bet if Canon knew how well 5D video would take off, they wouldn't have released that function in order to protect their camcorder market. But in the end, it worked pretty well for them since so many people moved to video through 5D and then upgraded to C300 or other Canon cameras, they just messed up thing badly later by trying to protect higher-end cameras which weren't so feature-rich to begin with, by releasing cheaper cameras that were even less feature-rich. Now of course even the new low-end cameras (not talking about Canon but the new market disruptors) are pretty damn amazing compared to before.

Quote Originally Posted by paul ross jones View Post
    Garbage? Really?

I own the 4k pocket, but haven't used it much but appears similar to my G2. The G2 has lovely footage and easy to grade IMO. I think BM has done a good job of their colour.
    I personally don't think the P4K holds up to the G2 image. We own 2 of them and they're just okay. Color is fine.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

6k not so disruptive any more...
    The officially Panasonic unveiled specs are:

6K 3:2 capture at 24p
    16:9 5.9K capture at up to 30p
    ‘Multi aspect’ recording including anamorphic 4:3 capture
    10-bit DCI and UHD 4K capture at up to 60p
    Unlimited recording times
    14+ stop V-Log/V-Gamut capture LR
    Color reproduction to match Cinema VariCam series

Seams like everyone and his skateboarding friends will shoot 6 in a very near future.

To be disruptive, as I see it, Red would need to make this release a monstro8k comodo for 5kusd anything less in the square form factor / no screen excetra I think a lot of people will pass on and instead get a ready to shoot 6k option for less.

Im a bit surprised I thought all little cameras would shoot uhd raw before moving to more pixels but apparently not. :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Call me crazy all, but i have the feeling that this Komodo has a Mysterium X sensor..
    I remember Jarred offering an ultimate upgrade path about 2 years ago for DSMC1 and Red One Mx owners, and i was wondering what will they do with all these old cameras..

Look at the statement made by Jarred in his first post :
    " - It is not a Dragon or a Helium or a Gemini or a Monstro Sensor "

That can only be Mx or a brand new sensor, but i don't see them making a whole new sensor for a 6.000$ camera..

Komodo might be a 6k for 6k$ Red epic Mx on a tiny body..

Or maybe a crash cam? He also said in his first post : " talented people banging on it to try and break it ".
    But 6.000$ is a bit expensive for a crash cam, something is missing in the equation..

Quote Originally Posted by Mendes Nabil View Post
    Call me crazy all, but i have the feeling that this Komodo has a Mysterium X sensor..
    I remember Jarred offering an ultimate upgrade path about 2 years ago for DSMC1 and Red One Mx owners, and i was wondering what will they do with all these old cameras..

Look at the statement made by Jarred in his first post :
    " - It is not a Dragon or a Helium or a Gemini or a Monstro Sensor "

That can only be Mx or a brand new sensor, but i don't see them making a whole new sensor for a 6.000$ camera..

Komodo might be a 6k for 6k$ Red epic Mx on a tiny body..
    In an h4vuser update thread before thisone was made, Jim had said this about KOMODO:
    We have completed the new and extraordinary sensor and redesigned the package.
    So it's a new sensor of some variety. Which exactly is yet to be known.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Fujifilm GFX50R + Leica BLK360

I have no idea what the lead time was for developing Komodo, whether or not the design is locked down, etc. That said, from the cheap seats, it sure feels like the value proposition of the Komodo in the market of today is facing some serious headwinds. I would imagine Jarred and the RedTeam have had some interesting meetings lately... What options might they have?

1) Pricing. It's an easy fix and would allow them to keep their release schedule. That said, would a ready to shoot kit bundle for $7K (vs an guesstimated $9K) move significantly more units? What about margin? RED is a business, not a charity.

2) Redesign. Hard to imagine a beefed up version could be made quickly enough to get in the race.

3) Punt. Focus on DSMC3 and bail on the Komodo altogether. If RED is as close to the finish line as they appear to be, this might be a non-starter.

4) Stick to the game plan. Komodo, within the broad strokes of capabilities and pricing currently known, will be the Goldilocks camera for some shooters. Just revise sales projections in light of market conditions and focus on DSMC3.

If I had to bet, I'd pick 4. Why? I can't see RED winning a price war. Redesign would take too long and killing it would leave a lot of dev costs unrecovered.

Like many people already in the RED ecosystem, the Komodo is very attractive to me as a "B" camera. It should also be a great personal camera. Taking my Monstro on a family vacation went pretty well, but smaller would have made it easier.

Cheers - #19

Hey Guys,
    Just want to thank everyone who is contributing to this thread. I don't have much to say of any intellectual value but you have my gratitude just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Veen View Post
    In an h4vuser update thread before thisone was made, Jim had said this about KOMODO:

So it's a new sensor of some variety. Which exactly is yet to be known.
    I didn't see that post, really interesting as it unveils the origin of Komodo to me. It was supposed to be the Red Hydrogen camera module i guess, but seeing its capabilities, they decided to make it a camera on its own..
    Jim talks about it as a "module", and Jarred said the inverse in his first post:
    It is not a “module”

I guess we'll soon have the answer of what Komodo really is..

If it was an MX sensor, the camera would be dead in the water. Why would anyone pay $6000 for a noisy, outdated sensor, when the Pocket 6K has likely more DR, dual ISO, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    If it was an MX sensor, the camera would be dead in the water. Why would anyone pay $6000 for a noisy, outdated sensor, when the Pocket 6K has likely more DR, dual ISO, etc.
    I think the MX sensor is still beautiful and filmic, but you're right that it's just too old. I really can't go back to not having clean 3200 ISO (6400 even better).

Definitely wouldn't look good on the spec sheet.