Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 258 of 371 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308358 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 3709
    I really wish the Komodo would change the CFast2.0 slot to CFexpress.
    I feel with all this other tech going to this primitive card will bottle neck the camera not to mention offload times could be some much better, maybe even get some more frame rates out of it.
    Some one should start some kinda petition to change that I would pay that extra for more...

Iím really happy that Komodo utilizes the RF Mount. Iíve now fully committed to RF and ordered the trinity. Will likely add the 85mm f1.2 also. Great glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin.Benjamin View Post
    I feel with all this other tech going to this primitive card will bottle neck the camera not to mention offload times could be some much better, maybe even get some more frame rates out of it.
    Some one should start some kinda petition to change that I would pay that extra for more...

I find it so ironic that youíre looking to petition their decision to use cFast 2.0 cards for this. When it seems as though the folks at red have listened to so many outsiders complaints about their proprietary media for DSMC 1/2.... theyíre met with none other than.. more complaints. I agree that CFexpress is an exciting new media format, but Iím sure Red has their reasons for going with CFast 2.0. Not to mention that itís been endlessly stated that this camera isnít indented to cater to High frame rate work..

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    My last two hobby cameras both have had global shutter CCD's. An older Canon 3CCD camcorder, and the Bolex. I really prefer the image aesthetics of a global shutter.
    Oh you're lucky. I really like what I saw shot on the D16 and I'm kinda sad I missed my chance to get one (as news, I can obviously find one used in pretty good conditions).
    It seemed that at some point they were trying to relaunch the company. Would be awesome.

The thing is : they probably started to work on Komodo way before they talked about it and CFExpress wasn't a thing back then (and even today... The only camera I know that is using it is the Canon C500MKII) and they probably can't change that.
    Furthermore, Redcode at 6K 24fps and 3:1 compression ratio is about 238MB/sec, which is the same datarate if you go 40fps at 5:1 compression ratio (according to this page : https://www.red.com/recording-time). We already know that at 6K, Komodo will probable top at 40fps (we don't know compression ratios yet). It is probably NOT a media related limit, but a size, heat, sensor and all those combined other stuffs.
    Cfast 2.0 can go 500MB/sec SO they already have some headroom to work with. no need to change media. It is readily available and probably owned by camera owners/rental houses (because it is used in C300MII, URSA Mini, BMPCC 4K and 6K, C700s and Alexa Mini) and its licence (of there is one, but I suppose there is) might actually be cheaper/more accessible than CFExpress (since Sony is not involved). So, again, I see no need to change media.

They are building Komodo primarly as a B or C camera for action stuff that would benefit having a Global Shutter (mode), gimbal and drone stuff and so on. As was Raven (I may have said way back in this thread that it felt like a new take on the Raven slot in the range :p) and as was the Alexa Mini (the product video published by Arri at the time almost entirely focused on gimbals and drones). As Jarred already said like a million time : it is not supposed to replace a DSMC2, nor is it supposed to be a DSMC3 and they KNOW that at that kind of price point it may be used as an A-cam as well (Soderbergh...) BUT it is not what they are designing it for.
    It may be frustrating that it is not your dream camera or MY dream camera (because all that being said there are a few things I would like that it won't have or do but hey that's life) BUT that's the way it is and it makes sense (at least to me) that they stay on track with what they are planning instead of adding every feature we want no matter what because in the end the price will explode and we will get a 6K Dragon-X or Gemini or whatever and would make no sense for us to make a new camera so similar to the existing line and to us to buy what already exists just with another name on it.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Cfast 2.0 is more than capable for RED Komodo. It’s well established and lots of people have them. No need for your petition....

Incoming rant-long-answer. We've all been captivated by the potential and marketing of faster CFexpress media for sure.

Let's be specific. Namely what most people would be looking for are CFexpress 2.0 Type-B form factor cards. Which is a still pretty new memory format. So new that the actual media that you will be likely be looking to use is still not out yet. i.e. Sandisk, Angelbird, etc. Notice all those announcements and "coming soons" still hang in the air. It's November and some of those cards should have been shipping in September. Previously they were supposed to be shipping much earlier too and somehow some are/did. Lexar nearly spilled the beans on why a lot of the chaos has been occurring here, but I personally would say CFexpress 2.0 Type-B is more of a 2020 thing. Sony, who is a major player here, literally released a camera recently and didn't use this format on a camera that would greatly benefit from the speed boosts even.

There's been a good deal of hurdles regarding this particular media type and a host of quibbles that are even coming to the surface on cameras now supporting the format that are being released next year even.

For instance, the Canon C500 MK II can only use 512GB and up capacities likely due to sustained read/write related things (which for core memory manufactures is a spec that got locked this month), in which case this would likely be true-ish for Komodo to some degree if this media type was possible to deploy. There's also the massive issue of heat generation, which you'll see warnings on media bay doors on a few cameras coming out w/ CFexpress 2.0 Type-B. I believe the text you'll see is "Be Careful, Hot". That heat generation would have a pretty negative impact on smaller cameras for sure.

Trust me. Nobody on earth wants faster media more than I do. But media volatility over reliability is a much higher issue over anything our hearts truly will ever desire when it comes to captured imagery. It's all being worked on right now as we all speak and who knows what happens by the time Komodo launches, but what is available and reliable today in this space is stuff that's been around for a minute.

As of this second you'll notice an "extreme" lack of speed tests concerning sustained reads and writes for all of the newer CFexpress 2.0 Type-B cards. That in itself is the most telling thing. Already depending on capacity there's a broad range.

CFexpress is 100% coming however. But as of November, 2019 as Jarred noted "it's still a unicorn". And if you're looking for a more personal/spoiler alert related take from my side of things expect for motion picture camera use things like that 512GB recommended lowest capacity and sustained writes hanging around 600-1200MB/s to be "things" at the end of the day with CFexpress. Good CFast 2.0 writes are in the 490MB/s range and have been for a while. The fastest sustained write I've seen to date on an unreleased card is 800MB/s and that's about all I can say on that matter for now.

And yet the spiciest meatball of CFexpress has much more to do with Type-C, which nobody in the world is focused on at the moment.

To give you the TL;DR version. You'll certainly see cameras in 2020 supporting CFexpress 2.0 Type-B, but as of this second it's just not a reliable reality in this space for media as of this second. Heck, pretty much everybody focused on CFexpress didn't know exactly what they were doing until February of this year and it's still being chiseled out as to what exactly is going on as recently as this month. But yeah, late Q1/Q2 2020, for sure stuff will be just hitting the market in stride. Earliest true availability is December of this year.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    Agreed, there is something about how the image moves that looks more pleasing with global shutter.
    Well it moves without distortion and all the pixels in the image capture the same moment. : )
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Všth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    ...And yet the spiciest meatball of CFexpress has much more to do with Type-C, which nobody in the world is focused on at the moment...
    CFexpress A, B & C sizes

Has it been stated, whether Komodo will allow for an external SSD like the Samsung T5 or is it CFast only?

Using a BMPCC 4K/6K, the Tilta side handle that allows for the T5 to drop in, is really good. Couple that with a battery inside the handle and it's rather compact as well.

To keep pricing down for the Komodo and make it competitive against the BMPCC 4K/6K, these are the things that Red are gonna have to think about. Not everyone who is looking for an entry level Red wants to spend 10k+. They aren't going to want to buy $900 1TB CFast cards, when a 2TB SSD costs $250 and has a similar Read/Write.

Battery Life, Monitors, Storage..etc. These are the things that alot of Redusers are accustomed to anticipating when purchasing Red. Newer shooters that this is sort of targeted at, is not going to like the "Fine Print" style accessories and cost attributed to them.
    Last edited by Lawrence Harding; 11-26-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Harding View Post
    Has it been stated, whether Komodo will allow for an external SSD like the Samsung T5 or is it CFast only?

Using a BMPCC 4K, the Tilta side handle that allows for the T5 to drop in, is really good. Couple that with a battery inside the handle and it's rather compact as well.

To keep pricing down for the Komodo and make it competitive against the BMPCC 4K/6K, these are the things that Red are gonna have to think about. Not everyone who is looking for an entry level Red wants to spend 10k+. They aren't going to want to buy $900 1TB CFast cards, when a 2TB SSD costs $250 and has a similar Read/Write.

Battery Life, Monitors, Storage..etc. These are the things that alot of Redusers are accustomed to anticipating when purchasing Red. Newer shooters that this is sort of targeted at, is not going to like the "Fine Print" style accessories and cost attributed to them.
    First of all, they are not really making Komodo as an "entry level" RED camera, they are just making it as cheap as they can because they are making it as a B or C camera for crews in need of a realiable thing where a DSMC2 is too big, too heavy or too "rolling shuttery".

Second, people who really don't want to invest in a big CFast 2.0 card car always gothe SolidPod route :

https://store.n.ki/products/solidpod

And finally, IF you're not in a shooting scenario where you need to capture really long takes (like I don't know a concert or an event or whatever), you shouldn't use a too big media card because in case of media corruption, or a card being lost or stolen, you loose way to much of content. That's just my two cents anyway but I prefer a bunch of 128GB cards than one 1TB.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...