Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 208 of 371 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Going back to the fps question. Would you say that there's a limit in the sensor that unables higher fps? Or limitations in cooling, or in processing? If it's locked down by the hardware, would it be possible to get the fps numbers you're going for? Is guessing 30 fps @ 6K, 40 fps @ 5K and 60 fps @ 4K a qualified guess for Komodo?
    If it is truly a global shutter sensor , then the frame rates would be limited by the sensor itself and how fast it can dump a frame of uncompressed data during the dark interval between exposures.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    If it is truly a global shutter sensor , then the frame rates would be limited by the sensor itself and how fast it can dump a frame of uncompressed data during the dark interval between exposures.
    Does that mean a 360 degree shutter would be impossible with a global shutter sensor?

I'm very excited about Komodo, but am mostly concerned with the crop in 4K (or even 5K). I get that 6K acquisition to a 4k output is the way to go for a lot of people, but shooting in 4k on a Red is still amazing image quality and you save a ton of storage space compared to 6k. The RF Mount, the batteries, the media, PDAF, size, form factor, and pretty much everything else about this camera seems almost exactly what I'd want (frame rates might be a bit disappointing - we'll see), but a 1.8x - 2x+ crop in 4K might be a bit too much.

It's definitely a pretty crazy camera world right now with C500, 1DXIII, Z-Cams, FX9, S1H, etc right now - going to be updating all gear, so the sooner this thing is announced, the better. Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out and it is on the top of my list right now. Let's see what shakes out.

Guys, Jarred did NOT say it is a global shutter sensor. It is a rolling shutter, just a really really fast one.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Guys, Jarred did NOT say it is a global shutter sensor. It is a rolling shutter, just a really really fast one.
    He didn't say either way yet for sure. He just said they solved the problem. There are CMOS sensors on the market capable of being programmed for global shutter operation, but it comes at the expense of frame rates and DR/ read noise levels. The Fairchild sensor used in the AJA CION is programmed for global shutter, the same sensor in the BMCC 4K cameras isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    He didn't say either way yet for sure. He just said they solved the problem. There are CMOS sensors on the market capable of being programmed for global shutter operation, but it comes at the expense of frame rates and DR/ read noise levels. The Fairchild sensor used in the AJA CION is programmed for global shutter, the same sensor in the BMCC 4K cameras isn't.
    No, he didn't actually said it was either one or the other but he did say, a certain number of pages ago on this very thread, that it is so much a pain in the butt to make a good global shutter sensor (with good DR and stuff) that no one is making/using it. (I'm obviously not quoting)

As for the BMCC 4K camera, I'm pretty sure it was a global shutter. Unless you wanted to say "Pocket 4K" and then I think the sensor inside is made by Sony, no ? Isn't it the same one as the Panasonic GH5S ?

I appreciate that asI never used my Hydrogen other than to test it. It went back into the box after that and has been sitting there ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    that doesn't completely suck. We now just may be able to do something we couldn't before... two things actually... so it could actually turn into a really good thing... a sliver lining.

And yes Komodo discount for those that bought Hydrogens before the module was cancelled is still in play. And more importantly for some.... the pole position.

Heh Heh I shot that chris bell photo on Komodo with the Minolta 85 + adapter :)
    Epic W
    Brian Pascale

I am brand new to the forum, but I've been watching this thread for weeks. I thought I'd throw in my two cents as someone who seems to have slightly different needs than many of the camera ops I've read here. It might even help RED address the market segment that I am in.

I film corporate, tourism, and indie film projects. They are good quality, but not Hollywood quality. I have mostly used Sony's FS7, but have switched to Blackmagic this year. I have two P4Ks and one P6K. I keep one P4K permanently mounted on a Ronin gimbal, the other P4K permanently mounted on a 600mm lens, and the P6K for all other uses. So think about that for a second. I bought two additional cameras purely to avoid the inconvenience of having to change lenses and rigs. That is incredible that we can do that these days.

For all my needs, the P4K/P6K are plenty good enough in terms of quality. My lenses are more of a problem than the cameras (Rokinon Cine DS set). Having said that, I would love to advance to the next level in terms of image quality. That's where RED seems to separate itself from that lower tier. Assuming that is true, I am hoping that the Komodo can be my new A cam. I know for a lot of you, it would be more of a B cam or a specialty/crash cam, but for me it would be my A. I could also see buying multiple Komodos over time. I totally understand that simply upgrading sensors/codecs isn't going to deliver Hollywood quality in and of itself, but I know where the (small) limitations are in my current equipment.

Most of the RED cameras are out of my price range. I could justify the Raven, but in terms of features, specs, I don't feel like I'd be gaining much on the FS7. Yes, the IQ would be a bit better, but I'm holding out for an even smaller form factor via the Komodo. I never use the FS7 any more because the BMPCs match or exceed it in terms of quality and they are much more convenient to use.

My personal wish list for the Komodo:
    48 fps or better (I do lots of slow mo, so it's mandatory)
    whatever the best RED codec/color science available, otherwise Braw is plenty good for me
    As good or better low light performance relative to BMPCs
    S35 or better (FF preferred). Anything less than S35 and I'm out

I don't care about an integrated monitor (other than something for changing settings). I have several good external monitors. I also don't care about Hydrogen unless it does something magical that my current phone or monitors can't do.

Built-in XLR audio of some sort would be nice (the BMPCs have mini-xlrs which work great for my needs). However, I'd be fine with only scratch audio as I'd use the Komodo mostly for higher end work or indie films which would have separately recorded sound.

So I'm crossing my fingers that Komodo fits the bill. So far it looks promising. I know RED may not target my segment, but to me there's no reason why they shouldn't. I want the best image quality I can afford in a compact package. If a RED product suddenly becomes affordable and compact, I'm a potential customer, and there's a lot more like me out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    WHAT IF we could get a dual V-Mount or Gold Mount battery plate that works with two dummy batteries so for like documentary shooters or just users who want to build up their Komodo rig can have like a huge battery life ? Or maybe for people who have a few accessories that need power around the camera ? (like a monitor and a wireless follow focus)
    Something that would look like this (sorry, I know it's an Alexa on the image) :
    Never apologize for having an Alexa on your shoulder. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    Never apologize for having an Alexa on your shoulder. :-)
    Actually, I googled the image :D