Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 329 of 371 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329330331332333339 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Jarred's already stated that there's no penalty for the global shutter mode on the Komodo.

Quite true. I have a much higher end Red camera than I need because of that.

Still, a lot of what Red develops is determined by feedback from Red's customers...
    What Jarred means is there is no significant DR penalty between rolling shutter and Global shutter on KOMODO. (As you know). Or maybe any appreciable difference or any difference at all TBD.

But that does not mean arbitrarily or otherwise that the KOMODO will have the DR of Gemini (in one mode) or Helium (necessarily) or Montro VV etc.

Just trying to temper expectations a smidge / mild reality check (in a kind way), as the camera costs maybe $6500 -ish or in that range or less for some HYDROGEN "Peeps". Maybe under $5000 ?

I expect the imagery that Jarred and Bay come back with (and others) should be pretty spectacular, great locations, fantastic light and good talent in-front of and behind the camera + great lens choices + $.

I'm not holding out for amazeballs DR from KOMODO but that's the least of my wants given everything else KOMODO offers / enables that is unique and useful
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    After shooting global shutter cameras for the last 15 years, I fully understand why it is desirable, especially for fast movement and action cameras. 3-chip CCD video cameras were global shutter until the move to HD and larger single sensor formats. Digital still cameras with mechanical shutters too. Anyone who has suffered flash banding filming live events is going to be a big fan. Video camera rolling scan is nothing like a film camera's rolling shutter.

Sensor size and increasing resolution made global shutter video difficult and impractical from an engineering standpoint for a long time, thankfully that period is coming to an end.
    Absolutely...

+1,

"That period is coming to an end"

Hopefully / maybe.

It's gonna be super interesting to see basic test bed/ results for still and dynamic and Global versus Rolling AND the basic "FEEL" of the imagery and the different qualities Still and dynamic), textures and spectrum of attributes that the both modes can yield.

It could be one of the most multidimensional sets of tests that Phil Holland carries out. That's a big smorgasbord or just quick and dirty , suck and see, and everybody gets to collectively reconstruct a broad palate of capability for KOMODO.

It should be a ton of fun and hopefully more than a foot in the door for new frontiers.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

There's a small chance that we're so used to rolling shutter artifacts that we may notice a bigger difference than expected!

As for Red using this technology in DSMC3 cameras, I'd be amazed if there wasn't an equivalent since directors will ultimately want the look to be consistent across shots, just like how you'd use the same glass throughout a production.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parkin View Post
    There's a small chance that we're so used to rolling shutter artifacts that we may notice a bigger difference than expected!

As for Red using this technology in DSMC3 cameras, I'd be amazed if there wasn't an equivalent since directors will ultimately want the look to be consistent across shots, just like how you'd use the same glass throughout a production.
    I don’t think anybody would miss the Rolling Shutter problems. But, anyways, this camera is supposed to work Global and Rolling Shutter, so you can always choose any of them

Global Shutter is a solution to many common issues found in general filmmaking, which is why for so long so many have wanted it.

A quick pan with a skewed wall, wheels rotating, general image stability under extreme vibrations which even with post correction isn't always salvageable from a rolling shutter sensor, etc

At the same time it might not be the most desired by some filmmakers as film itself has a rolling shutter. This lends it's hand to the general character of the image.

I see a need for both really and certainly a louder roar for the desire for a rolling shutter. I think particularly in this camera space because there really hasn't been a solid compact cine solution as of yet.

Komodo will be many things to many people, but there's certain things it will excel at. That is one of them for sure. Any gimbal owner, likely literally every one of them will look hard at Komodo. Once they see it solves some of the common shot issues with that style of camera movement.
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 01-13-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Francisco Calero View Post
    I don’t think anybody would miss the Rolling Shutter problems. But, anyways, this camera is supposed to work Global and Rolling Shutter, so you can always choose any of them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3evc5fEhM

Phil I think you wanted to start your first sentence with global shutter not rolling shutter.

Heh. Corrected. Amazing. I need an editor. Replying to threads on my cell phone is not advised.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

The only question I'm asking myself right now: the camera should be available in a month or two, so why isn't there any footage yet? The camera has already been used…I imagine Red is waiting for the most advanced version of the camera…

For the DR, with Global Shutter, I can't wait to see that… if it works, if the camera obtains 16 to 17 diaph, it will be a real little revolution!
    But at the same time, I fear the success of the Komodo, with respect to the other Red cameras ... despite the fact that Jarred says that the goal is not to make it an A camera ...

In any case, the year 2020 will be a period of great progress… and big changes…

Global shutter angle test shot with Ikonoskop.