Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 352 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 3518
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I'm not sure who's manufacturing the actual Red sensors these days
    We use someone else's oven like everyone else does, and we do jump around to different ovens as needed but it is our design.

I know there are conspiracy theories out there and crazy videos that try their best to claim we don't have a sensor team and jump and down screaming that we don't design our own pixels... which is completely false... and disrespectful to our team who have been designing some of the best sensors on the planet for more than a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I don't think there was much spinning... I was pretty open and upfront about inheriting the task of linking Hydrogen to Komodo and the first thing I said is that we were not making a module :)

I think some of the confusion came from Jim's post where he talks about RED camera making Komodo work with Hydrogen and the 2nd sentence where Hydrogen Team was fully engaged in the "in-device" camera program. Those were two very separate programs, he was talking about the phone camera in that 2nd part but I could see how you could read it as being all about Komodo.

And yes.. I was working on Komodo way before the Hydrogen Module was ever a thing. And like we said we redesigned it to accommodate the Hydrogen phone back around the time when Jim made that announcement.

I do understand the confusion. That is one of the reasons why I started this thread with what Komodo isn't .. as that at the time was much easier to do than explaining what it is :)
    Fair enough. I guess "redesigning the package" meant adding Hydrogen compatibility. But I do think calling Komodo "the pro camera for hydrogen" was a bit spinny. I agree you have been totally up front about what Komodo is, and things are becoming clearer. For me personally, I am happy to get a discount on Komodo (if I decide to get it), and I probably would not have purchased an H2 anyway, so it all works out okay. But I do feel bad for all the Hydrogen users for whom Komodo is a bad fit.

I guess it's all moot now anyhow. How about an R3D or full-res still from Komodo to lighten the mood around here?

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post

Yeah, sometimes "obsolescence obsolete" and "everything changes" are a bit contradictory. But I agree that the discount offered does soften the blow a bit.
    You need to swing big to make a meaningful change/improvement/invention and sometimes those big swings miss. I know it seems like the end of the world to some people, but we have been here before.

REDRAY, The Projector, The Meizler Module, A whole bunch of 3D stuff that you guys never even saw, etc. etc. etc. The 8k VV Dragon Almost suffered the same fate. Some of you remember that... And Gemini too... that almost didn't work out.

I know from the customer side of the fence all this stuff seems easy... like the pain-in-the-ass-guy telling us "o just add a few extra frame rates for me please, how hard could it be" :) .... but making stuff is hard... specially when you are the first to do it.

This camera is already having a big impact on people and it’s not even finished yet haha. Just let them finish it and enjoy the teasers in the meantime. Exciting times in the digital film world!

You need to swing big to make a meaningful change/improvement/invention and sometimes those big swings miss. I know it seems like the end of the world to some people, but we have been here before.

REDRAY, The Projector, The Meizler Module, A whole bunch of 3D stuff that you guys never even saw, etc. etc. etc. The 8k VV Dragon Almost suffered the same fate. Some of you remember that... And Gemini too... that almost didn't work out.

I know from the customer side of the fence all this stuff seems easy... like the pain-in-the-ass-guy telling us "o just add a few extra frame rates for me please, how hard could it be" :) .... but making stuff is hard... specially when you are the first to do it.
    Absolutely. I have no doubt what Red does is incredibly difficult. It's certainly not the end of the world, and of course there are swings and misses along the way, but what irked me the most about the Hydrogen was the lack of communication - there are still people over at h4vuser.net saying Android Pi is coming and asking when Red monitoring will be possible. And who can blame them when nobody from Red has told them otherwise?

More on point - now that the Hydrogen project is over, will you still be integrating it with Komodo via the rear pins, or will it just use the USB like other Android devices?
    Last edited by Robert Hofmeyr; 10-27-2019 at 06:21 AM.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    We use someone else's oven like everyone else does, and we do jump around to different ovens as needed but it is our design.

I know there are conspiracy theories out there and crazy videos that try their best to claim we don't have a sensor team and jump and down screaming that we don't design our own pixels... which is completely false... and disrespectful to our team who have been designing some of the best sensors on the planet for more than a decade.
    I couldn't really care less for the conspiracy theories out there. I think people are generally biased and bad at thinking about stuff; people create narratives in their heads on how things are done and when they find out there are different procedures than they thought in their heads previously(without having any real insight or knowledge into design and manufacture) they invent a new narrative about the company lying earlier in order to justify that they were initially wrong. I'm not really any better myself, but at least see the difference between pure fantasy and fact-based speculation.

Anyway, what exactly is this new sensor? Are there any improvements in areas like DR, noise? How would you rank the sensor compared to the ones we have at the moment?

like the pain-in-the-ass-guy telling us "o just add a few extra frame rates for me please, how hard could it be" :) .... but making stuff is hard... specially when you are the first to do it.
    Ouch Though I'm not really saying "how hard could it be", I rather said that I'm willing to pay extra for a Komodo with slightly higher framerates. You've done crazier stuff before ;)
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

REDRAY, The Projector, The Meizler Module, A whole bunch of 3D stuff that you guys never even saw, etc. etc. etc. The 8k VV Dragon Almost suffered the same fate. Some of you remember that...
    And Gemini too... that almost didn't work out.
    a world without the RED GEMINI :( LOL

About rolling shutter and Komodo

That's funny.. because we hear about it on almost every single major production... and that's not a RED thing.. its an everything thing. People just have learned to live with it. Just a few weeks ago the cameras that you are comparing Komodo to were eliminated from a major production because of it. Again....

Komodo exists because our high end customers asked us to solve that. And we did.

That's big big news!!!!!

I won't pretend that I know what this camera is, but if it's what I think (and hope) it is, then it will sell very well to people that want the power of RED in a small hand-held body for run-and-gun work.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Absolutely. I have no doubt what Red does is incredibly difficult. but what irked me the most about the Hydrogen was the lack of communication - there are still people over at h4vuser.net saying Android Pi is coming and asking when Red monitoring will be possible. And who can blame them when nobody from Red has told them otherwise?
    I understand that too. But I hope you can separate Komodo from that experience. remember, Hydrogen until the news was a completely separate company operationally from RED Camera. Different engineers, different marketing , different Manufacturing , different sales , etc... everyone except for Jim. Even h4vuser I have nothing to do with. So I totally understand the confusion, as even internally it was confusing :)

Silver lining though now we have Tommy and Jamin and a bunch of really incredible talent that came from Hydrogen at Red now that are already making huge improvements to the business. So it actually did make us stronger.