Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 207 of 352 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257307 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 3518
    Again nice with small batteries. Until you got a FIZ and a wireless on there. Then those batteries does not last for days but minutes so all Im saying is for a lot of applications even if the camera draw no power you need a real battery the need to have such on rails or somthing like the alexa mini would not be as nice as a bridge between the current dual battery mounts an a vlock. Even if its nice to be able to keep it small, small cameras real problem has usually been how difficult it is to dress up big without going all frankenstien. A nice Vlock solution would solve alot.

Then C fast vs propietary minimags... Minimags would not need to be so costly. In reality / hardware vice cfast is more costly then minimags.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    -- We now just may be able to do something we couldn't before... two things actually... so it could actually turn into a really good thing... a sliver lining...
    This actually sounds super exciting some how as I never intended to use the Hydrogen as a camera Monitoring device, and can't wait to find this new things out.

..And yes Komodo discount for those that bought Hydrogens before the module was cancelled is still in play. And more importantly for some.... the pole position...
    Well, very happy I kept my "Houdini Hydrogen One" despite no updates since forever, so I'm very happy to hear that it was a very good investment despite having it done solely to SUPPORT the program, and as you know Jarred I don't well with PC and neither I was ever able to do well with Android, but I have been using it for an entire year, and now will be back to iPhone and my good old iOS ;)

Hopefully while I opted out of the Ti to get the earlier Houdini still leaves me in that "Pole Position" because I sure can't wait to get my hands on that little big beast of a "Baby Dragon" the Komodo ;)

Correct. The pins on DSMC2 and the Pins on Komodo are not only mechanically different, they are completely different signals. On DSMC2 the pins carry monitor and power. On Komodo ( and Hydrogen ) those pins carry a form of CSI and Ethernet which allows the Komodo to mimic a camera to the phone.. i.e when hooked up to a phone the phone thinks the Komodo is it's own camera. Komodo doesn't send a normal video signal that any traditional or DSMC2 monitor would receive.. so the idea of just bolting a DSMC2 monitor or adapter on the top of it wouldn't work.

A "smart" adapter may work... but that would basically need to be a phone chip inside the cradle with a video conversion which would add latency.. in which case you are kinda better of just using the SDI port.
    Thanks for the infos.

I already imagine setups with an iPad Pro ^_^
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

And yes Komodo discount for those that bought Hydrogens before the module was cancelled is still in play. And more importantly for some.... the pole position.
    Guess we don’t have to send in our Hydrogens for this discount as we probably want to use it with Komodo?
    Hope my H1 #392 will help me get this camera as soon as possible then. Would love to be a test shooter too, if that’s a thing :)
    I’m really existed about getting back into RED camera ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    - Make an adapter that sits in-between the two battery mounts off Komodo and a V-lock battery. Sure, small batteries is nice at times. But frankly 90% of the time battery size is no issue especially not compared to buying and carrying multiple battery types and chargers around. Being able to power everything with one sort of power is gold. Whatever the small betteries are Im sure I for one would rate have a big brick on the back of the back of the camera pretty much always.
    Are the Canon battery mounts strong enough to support a heavy brick battery like that?

If you're going to build up a bigger rig anyway, why not go for a rail-mounted battery plate? That way, you could leave a Canon battery installed on the camera, allowing you to hot swap the V mounts at any time? You could also go for one that holds the battery parallel to the ground to lower the center of gravity. My V mounts are quite a bit taller than Komodo so I'd rather lay them flat.

Then you could also throw a quick release between the camera and the rail system so that you can detach it from the big rig if you ever needed to go small at a moment's notice. Presumably for a camera that can get thrown into a Gimbal rather quickly, I think this is preferable. You can leave the big rig built up and just move the camera around rather than rebuild/reconfigure.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Are the Canon battery mounts strong enough to support a heavy brick battery like that?

If you're going to build up a bigger rig anyway, why not go for a rail-mounted battery plate? That way, you could leave a Canon battery installed on the camera, allowing you to hot swap the V mounts at any time? You could also go for one that holds the battery parallel to the ground to lower the center of gravity. My V mounts are quite a bit taller than Komodo so I'd rather lay them flat.

Then you could also throw a quick release between the camera and the rail system so that you can detach it from the big rig if you ever needed to go small at a moment's notice. Presumably for a camera that can get thrown into a Gimbal rather quickly, I think this is preferable. You can leave the big rig built up and just move the camera around rather than rebuild/reconfigure.
    Possibly your right and I guess tilta and others will be all over it to provide solutions for such setups. just that I had my fair share of red volts and XL batteries and chargers. No Dtap and not enough power and so on.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

WHAT IF we could get a dual V-Mount or Gold Mount battery plate that works with two dummy batteries so for like documentary shooters or just users who want to build up their Komodo rig can have like a huge battery life ? Or maybe for people who have a few accessories that need power around the camera ? (like a monitor and a wireless follow focus)
    Something that would look like this (sorry, I know it's an Alexa on the image) :
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Yup... totally get it. Ambition and hope doesn't always lead to reality... I've learned that lesson a long time ago. It's why Komodo doesn't have a public spec sheet yet, because like I have with the last few years of RED camera releases, you hear them when they are ready. I hope that you all get that with Komodo.. I've been very upfront with what Komodo is not from the start.
    Going back to the fps question. Would you say that there's a limit in the sensor that unables higher fps? Or limitations in cooling, or in processing? If it's locked down by the hardware, would it be possible to get the fps numbers you're going for? Is guessing 30 fps @ 6K, 40 fps @ 5K and 60 fps @ 4K a qualified guess for Komodo?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    WHAT IF we could get a dual V-Mount or Gold Mount battery plate that works with two dummy batteries so for like documentary shooters or just users who want to build up their Komodo rig can have like a huge battery life ? Or maybe for people who have a few accessories that need power around the camera ? (like a monitor and a wireless follow focus)
    That's certainly getting into larger camera territory, but there's nothing stopping you from rigging Komodo that way via rods and a battery plate feeding into the DC IN. Sure you could shark fin that and get some crazy run times.

We don't know the power draw on Komodo yet, but Jarred said it runs for a long while on BP975s which are only about 55Wh each and it can hold two of those while maintaining the small height form factor.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Is guessing 30 fps @ 6K, 40 fps @ 5K and 60 fps @ 4K a qualified guess for Komodo?
    I'm still hoping for 50fps at 5K, but I think your guess is probably a bit more realistic.