Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 211 of 352 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 3518
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    It's also so unrealistic and impractical since your phone's storage would be eaten up in a heartbeat.
    I expect we will see some form of encoded video similar to what is passed to the SDI output at user selectable resolutions up to 4k. Maybe uncompressed baseband RGB that is encoded by a phone app for streaming or proxy recording.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I expect we will see some form of encoded video similar to what is passed to the SDI output at user selectable resolutions up to 4k. Maybe uncompressed baseband RGB that is encoded by a phone app for streaming or proxy recording.
    As I posted previously - IF they are in fact sending MIPI CSI-2 out of the brain - you could run that into a mobile device and the mobile device would “see it” as the mobile devices camera. At that point - you are just sending an RGB image (which could be LOG) direct to the processor in the mobile device. So you can leverage all the image processing and compression in the mobile devices - and also leverage whatever API/SDK exists for that mobile device. So ... on an iPhone 11 for example, you would be H265 UHD record or stream. But mobile processor have lots of other goodies now - like ... 4K HDR portrait mode video, computervision ISP for object detection / segmentation, etc. - I have no idea if Komodo will facilitates this - but it’s 100% possible with existing tech and you will see a greater “integration / marriage” between cinema cameras and mobile devices simply because of what technology is getting rolled into these mobile processors - and the depth of folks creating mobile apps.
    Last edited by Mark L. Pederson; 10-31-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Mark L. Pederson

Would be interesting to see integration with an iPhone to simultaneously capture depth data from the phone camera array. Something something machine learning and then we can do something something something interesting with the depth data and Komodo? haha.

It's also so unrealistic and impractical since your phone's storage would be eaten up in a heartbeat.
    Modern phones have a ton of super fast storage.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Modern phones have a ton of super fast storage.
    Name a solution for iPhone? And why doing that over internal CFast is better?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    As I posted previously - IF they are in fact sending MIPI CSI-2 out of the brain - you could run that into a mobile device and the mobile device would “see it” as the mobile devices camera. At that point - you are just sending an RGB image (which could be LOG) direct to the processor in the mobile device. So you can leverage all the image processing and compression in the mobile devices - and also leverage whatever API/SDK exists for that mobile device. So ... on an iPhone 11 for example, you would be H265 UHD record or stream. But mobile processor have lots of other goodies now - like ... 4K HDR portrait mode video, computervision ISP for object detection / segmentation, etc. - I have no idea if Komodo will facilitates this - but it’s 100% possible with existing tech and you will see a greater “integration / marriage” between cinema cameras and mobile devices simply because of what technology is getting rolled into these mobile processors - and the depth of folks creating mobile apps.
    Smart apps and 3rd party software signal processing in pro cameras is the next frontier...
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

I was checking out the specs on the Sony Xperia 1, which includes DNG raw as a supported still image format and has a 4k 21:9 HDR OLED display with a three camera setup similar to the iphone. It will take up to a 1TB micro SD card according to reviews, though the Sony spec says 512GB.

1TB mSD cards from Samsung and Micron are currently in device testing and will be released next year, with the Android 10 phones. The SanDisk Extreme 1TB cards are only made in small, randomly shipped batches and are pretty much unavailable for the most part, likely because SanDisk wants to stockpile good cards. There should be no issues with device support, so long as the phone or tablet is running recent Android and has 4GB or more of RAM with larger amounts being better for video recording. The SX1 has 6GB, so it's right at the ideal position for using a 1TB card.

Name a solution for iPhone? And why doing that over internal CFast is better?
    What do you mean name a solution? You mentioned "your phone's storage". The iPhone 11 Pro can have up to 512GB of very fast internal storage.

I wasn't thinking of it as a method of capturing R3Ds onto phone storage, I was thinking more that if phones are somehow going to be integrated with this camera it would be interesting if a connected phone could capture HEVC versions of recorded clips or if a video signal can be sent to the phones then what kinds of interesting things could be done with it as Mark Pederson mentioned. Phones have some incredibly heavy hitting image processing hardware these days.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    What do you mean name a solution? You mentioned "your phone's storage". The iPhone 11 Pro can have up to 512GB of very fast internal storage.

I wasn't thinking of it as a method of capturing R3Ds onto phone storage, I was thinking more that if phones are somehow going to be integrated with this camera it would be interesting if a connected phone could capture HEVC versions of recorded clips or if a video signal can be sent to the phones then what kinds of interesting things could be done with it as Mark Pederson mentioned. Phones have some incredibly heavy hitting image processing hardware these days.
    512GB won't get you far in terms of R3D RAW. That's my point with storage. There are some here who think that the phone will act together with the R3D format, which I find both unrealistic and unnecessary. Just as you say, and I agree, the possibilities with other technologies within our phones make for a very interesting combo. Live streaming, editing on the phone (on the go), proxy recording (as I don't think this will be a feature of the Komodo like on the DSMC2), makes for very interesting uses of having a phone attached to the camera.

The live streaming and editing "on the go" are very interesting for this kind of high-quality camera. I don't know if there's any other camera enabling this at this level of quality. I didn't think I was going to be interested in these kinds of features, but the more I think about it the more I see the potential for this setup.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600