Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 222 of 352 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3518
    To date, all of RED’s camera bodies and sensors have had their own respective names. Does the Komodo sensor itself have a name like the rest of RED’s sensors? Is it also called “Komodo” or “The Komodo Sensor” because it will only be available in the Komodo body? Or, is the sensor Komodo and the body called something else?
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

www.harbonder.com

Strand on Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyer View Post
    To date, all of REDís camera bodies and sensors have had their own respective names. Does the Komodo sensor itself have a name like the rest of REDís sensors? Is it also called ďKomodoĒ or ďThe Komodo SensorĒ because it will only be available in the Komodo body? Or, is the sensor Komodo and the body called something else?
    Just by going by past trends, the sensor name and resolution was always on the front, with body name on the side. The Komodo is labeled as "Komodo 6k" on the front, so perhaps it won't get the name on the side. But sensor is named "Komodo" too off that logic. :)

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Yup Komodo is both sensor and body. It's an auxiliary camera remember, not a replacement for the DSMC brain/sensor system.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    It's an auxiliary camera remember, not a replacement for the DSMC brain/sensor system.
    I'm still not sure what this really means? What exactly is an auxiliary camera compared to a normal camera? Compared to low-en models of Red like the Raven etc.? Seems to me that a 6K Komodo is really better than the Dragon-X, except for FPS counts? Are we talking about modification options? That the Komodo is more "locked down" as a brain compared to the DSMC's? Seems that a 6K R3D capable camera with a new sensor would really top that of a Dragon 5K sensor in a DSMC2 body? So I'm still unsure what the difference in the term "auxiliary camera" lies?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Spill the beans

Soooo Jarred...if you are taking delivery, anything new you might care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Well, My Stormtrooper Komodo arrives on Friday.

Stormtrooper REDs usually signal pre-production. It's impossible to predict how the next stage will go, because literally everything could go wrong, but if you look back historically and use Helium as a reference, We went from Stormtrooper Heliums to shipping to normal Heliums everyone 3-4 months later.

So if you need to make a guess.. that's about as good as you can get. But... as we bang on them more.. that could go completely sideways.

We are Probably ready to start talking specs soon though... since those wont change that much now. Although most of you have figured it out anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I'm still not sure what this really means? What exactly is an auxiliary camera compared to a normal camera? Compared to low-en models of Red like the Raven etc.? Seems to me that a 6K Komodo is really better than the Dragon-X, except for FPS counts? Are we talking about modification options? That the Komodo is more "locked down" as a brain compared to the DSMC's? Seems that a 6K R3D capable camera with a new sensor would really top that of a Dragon 5K sensor in a DSMC2 body? So I'm still unsure what the difference in the term "auxiliary camera" lies?
    Iím assuming it means utility, but itís a question worth asking.

I doubt RED would make a camera that costs so much less have the same image quality of the $15k brains that need thousands more in proprietary accessories.

At least I hope not.

If one wanted to use this with anamorphic lenses, what would be your slimmest, least bulky of choices?

Or should we think about its function on set as say a body cam in action sequences, get a super wide lens and then do faux-anamorphic in post?

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    Iím assuming it means utility, but itís a question worth asking.

I doubt RED would make a camera that costs so much less have the same image quality of the $15k brains that need thousands more in proprietary accessories.

At least I hope not.
    Well, if the image quality is substandard why not just use a GoPro? I think the whole point is to have a smaller camera that matches perfectly with footage from its larger siblings. Apparently Komodo already lacks high frame rates. Itís likely it will also lack the expansion options of the larger models.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Speaking of... Remember Raven was originally intended to be a drone camera. Hence the name, and the built in mount to save weight and keep the cost as low as possible. High end productions used Ravens as they were supposed to, as well as crash cameras and D,E,F,G cameras etc, but Raven very quickly also became an awesome A camera for indies, mostly because of the price point and the incredible images from it. I know komodo will likely follow the same path... I'm just telling you from a lineup perspective what the intention is, so people have reasonable expectations.

Komodo has advantages over our other cameras, price, size, weight, things the sensor does, etc. but it's also limited compared to our other cameras in things like frame rates, inputs and outputs, modularity, etc.