Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 257 of 352 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267307 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 3518
    I see the Komodo sensor tech as something that will be part of the DSMC3 lineup moving forward.
    Obviously with 6K at the lower end and definitely more FPS for DSMC3.

So it looks like we are heading towards a much more robust DSMC3 if the features of DSMC2 brains and the Komodo sensor tech are combined.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE Camera #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Yea I would think this would be of the quality of at least the Dragon-X, but more likely the Gemini (which is what I'm hoping for). The newest Red sensor (Gemini, I believe) is almost two years old, so common for companies to start matching lower end models to their higher-tier models once they have a new high-tier coming. So, if DSMC3 is around the corner, I'm sure that will be a pretty big jump in quality and usability.

Plus, Komodo stands by itself in many ways. If you have the option (and budget) of something like a DSMC2 Gemini and need it for a large production, I can't imagine you'd choose a Komodo just because the IQ is the same. There are a lot of other factors to consider. With that said, The Komodo makes for a great owner/operator camera, small productions with a small (or no) crew, or a host of B-Cams for action sequences that has the Monstro, Helium, or Gemini as the A-Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    As I said before, I am not going to conform specs until I am actually holding it in my hands and it's working :)
    That is a very refreshing approach to disseminating features of an upcoming product. I wish more companies would adopt it.

It might be a bit less exciting to not talk about the sexy/cool new features that you WISH you could include but aren't sure about yet, but will lead to a far more satisfying product release since there won't be any room for missed expectations.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I'm not sure how global shutters affect DR counts, but wasn't the global shutter at BlackMagic the reason it had its awful 11 stops compared to what they do now with 13 stops?
    No. Two different sensors. One was the same sensor used by AJA CION, Axiom and actually quite a few others...Low ISO low DR (relatively speaking) but it was a true GS.

The higher DR sensor they use in the G2 for example is a totally different architecture. The RS is nearly the same as Alexa, which I think for many is plenty fast enough. But GS is always a great option in certain situations.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    No. Two different sensors. One was the same sensor used by AJA CION, Axiom and actually quite a few others...Low ISO low DR (relatively speaking) but it was a true GS.

The higher DR sensor they use in the G2 for example is a totally different architecture. The RS is nearly the same as Alexa, which I think for many is plenty fast enough. But GS is always a great option in certain situations.

JB
    Which was a point I made, that they were two different sensors and the first had 11 stops and the next rolling one had 13. The question was if global shutter has anything to do with lowering DR stops. For this I don't have the answers since I don't know if its a factor that affect DR count.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Global shutter sensors in the past have had significantly higher read noise than rolling shutter sensors. The CMOSIS sensor supports both modes and loses about 1 stop in global shutter mode. But at best it was a 12 stop sensor, about the same as my Bolex.

If you start with a more up to date sensor design with 14-15 stops of DR, then losing a stop to a global shutter is not as critical.

The other issue with global shutters is a lower limit on maximum frame rates determined by the minimum dark interval time needed for frame readout.

Up to now yes one of the comprises with global shutters has been lower DR compared to rolling shutters. Probably one of the reason why BMD cancelled their dual global/rolling shutter mode feature on the Ursa 4.6K sensor.

Jarred mentioned earlier in this thread something about how they had figured out how to address an issue that has plagued the type of camera they were trying to build that became Komodo . (Please understand I'm paraphrasing, my words my interpretation.)
    Perhaps they've figured out a way to create a high DR global sensor. Or to make the dual rolling/global actually work well.

"Modes" have been discussed, Global shutter mode implying rolling mode. If there's a rolling mode, it implies it is needed, otherwise it wouldn't be there. Why would it be needed ? Faster FPS and/or higher DR most probably.

Would be great to have a global shutter sensor with similar DR than current lineup though !

Looks like David and I were typing at the same time ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielB View Post
    Looks like David and I were typing at the same time ;)
    My last two hobby cameras both have had global shutter CCD's. An older Canon 3CCD camcorder, and the Bolex. I really prefer the image aesthetics of a global shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    My last two hobby cameras both have had global shutter CCD's. An older Canon 3CCD camcorder, and the Bolex. I really prefer the image aesthetics of a global shutter.
    Agreed, there is something about how the image moves that looks more pleasing with global shutter.