Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 358 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 3579
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    It would still be a win if you could easy extract the tilt axis. Say you have a static tripod shot that you like to do a projection of to geometri. Then it would be nice to have the exact tilt angle in the meta data. Or you already have an backplate for a shot and you are going to shoot an foreground clip in green screen to match that background.
    Yes but if you dont know the lens things will not move trough the frame properly. Think if you got a 200mm lens and tilt a few degrees things will move very linear and fast trough the frame with little distortion. If you got a 8mm lens it will be the opposite.

But yes if set up in a 3D scene correctly with the right size backplane lens, and distortion etc then it works very well.

I looked now, now wonder why I never seen this redline app... its apperently now only windows a linux and windows app.

From redcine manual:

"You can launch REDline in Terminal on Command Prompt on Windows, or shell on Linux®. For Windows, REDline is located in the default installation location of the REDCINE-X PRO® suite of applications. For Linux, you must download the standalone REDline Linux (Beta) software."

Hackingtoch is a wonderful thing.

Rebooting into windows...

:)

Edit: Not so easy... Who wrote the app, anybody knows?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I suspect we ought to start a new topic on metadata?

I wasn't aware of RedLine and will take a look. I can see in the latest SDK in the metadata.h mentions of tilt, pan and roll. However aside from RedLine just mentioned i'm not aware of any vfx software reading that meta data (unless things have changed recently).

I'm going to bounce a question to the engineers at foundry for this one - as it shouldn't be too tough to pull the data... if it's there.

Has anyone extracted this via RedLine to see whether the data is there and working?

EDIT: In the latest Nuke i do see the rotation and acceleration data but these aren't updating each frame. So i've bounced this across to see if it's a bug or the data....

cheers
    Paul

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I've seen two VFX productions tap into the gyro data thus far. It's in there, but putting RED on top of developing the tools to do more with it is a bit weird. Maybe I'll make a dumber program or something. I did similar for clipJoiner, but I'm a full time filmmaker, it's hard to be tech support on stuff like that :/
    No one demands that Red put this feature in Redcine or SDK for third-party applications, but no one did so with the numerous features we already got from Red dealing with R3D RAW data. As many here mention, there are VFX teams pulling that data from the metadata and work with it, but that's just it; a slow, complicated process to get to the end result. For camera tracking, we, of course, need more metadata, but if our cameras do SteadXP-like gyro recording per frame, then the whole point would be that we have this as a RAW setting feature.

Imagine just pulling in R3D files into an NLE, Redcine-X or finishing application like Resolve and just slide a "stabilize smoothness" slider in the RAW settings from "as-shot" to "floating".

I've worked with SteadXP and the result is mind-blowing but too cumbersome, it's the ease of use in just having it as a RAW setting that makes this a powerful setting, and probably one of the most powerful and understated settings of most cameras out there. If the metadata is already there it wouldn't be much trouble putting in this feature, not with the track record of Red adding features to the R3D workflow. Getting butter-smooth gimbal-like shots from handheld, or stabilize a rough dolly to Fincheresque quality in a push of a button has tremendous potential for filmmakers, especially those without an expensive VFX team.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I sent a new feature request to autodesk sounded like they will pick up the ball.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I sent a new feature request to autodesk sounded like they will pick up the ball.
    Same with the foundry, just heard back. So hopefully can use that data and see what it looks like for real in the not too distant future....

cheers
    Paul

Canmodo

https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-c...s-in-drawings/

Looks like Canon will join in as well, who will finish first?

Quote Originally Posted by Mestizo Devon View Post
    Canmodo

https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-c...s-in-drawings/

Looks like Canon will join in as well, who will finish first?
    Since I don't read japanese and I don't see anything indicating RF Mount on the drawing : are we sure it's not a fixed lense and that the camera is just the replacement for the XC15 ?
    Anyway, the more the merrier.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Same with the foundry, just heard back. So hopefully can use that data and see what it looks like for real in the not too distant future....l
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    If it gets implemented in an easy-to-use way (hardware-assisted post-stabilization that doesn't take forever to analyze footage), this would obviously be a welcomed feature. If it were that simple (e.g. a slider in RCXp et al), I'd wonder why it wasn't taken advantage of a lot sooner.

...Having that metadata in there since ~2012/DSMC1, but only now getting a real-world use from it because other companies (SteadyXP, C500mk2's internal-but-non-IB IS, etc) have started doing it, is bittersweet (or 'dropping the ball'). Especially since RED cameras are frequently used for VFX.

9. #1259 Worth an ask 
    1) Perhaps RED expected 3rd parties would use the SDK to develop tools well suited to VFX needs

2) Perhaps the processing muscle required makes it painfully slow - or at least it did in 2012

3) RED was focused on making cameras, developing sensor tech, implementing IPP2, etc

4) Motion blur that constrains the utility of even the best stabilization tool

IAC, if they consider it important enough, our favorite "computer with a lens" might be able to take stabilization to the next level.

Cheers - #19

Interesting article about Steven Soderbergh in Filmmaker Magazine. He mentions shooting on Komodo.

https://filmmakermagazine.com/108310.../#.XYVtJcplCfA