Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Reply to Thread
Page 130 of 358 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 3579
    I'm guessing that 6K scaled to 4K in camera will provide post with the 4K files they will accept.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Can't we assume that the 4K SDI output is scaled from the full sensor? And possibly/probably scaled 4K ProRes to the Cfast cards?

Can't work my way through the gajillion words in this thread - do we know the actual sensor size? Do we know if the mount is removable and older RED PL mounts will work?
    It has become a bit chattery hasn't it. But the on topic stuff is decent.

I'd say yes as to what comes out of the 4K SDI port. i.e. full sensor scaled to 4K, whatever resolution shot scaled or presented at 4K, likely pushing 2K if it in there as well.

I have an educated guess on the sensor size that I can extrapolate from the image, but it's sort of silly to push out FUD if it's not fact. I think it's safe to say it's at least Super 35mm and likely smaller than VV. So basically somewhere in there.

Lens Mount: It looks like Komodo is "one block" with nothing removable to me. But in this case you'd be using a Canon RF to PL Adapter (there's a few already available). You can pretty much adapt anything to RF sans E-Mount and Z-Mount. But literally almost everything else.

I would say safely that if you are using a bigger lens, like a Cooke or whatever, you'll 100% want some rod support. Most of the RF to PL Adapters I have seen have a 1/4"-20 thread to support the mount itself.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Can't we assume that the 4K SDI output is scaled from the full sensor? And possibly/probably scaled 4K ProRes to the Cfast cards?

Can't work my way through the gajillion words in this thread - do we know the actual sensor size? Do we know if the mount is removable and older RED PL mounts will work?
    Jarred said on Instagram somewhere in the comments of one of his posts that it will record Redcode RAW.
    I don't think it will record Prores on the CF Cards. It might be a situation of Redcode Only. (which is frankly fine : we are nearly in 2020, every NLE accepts Redcode and any decent workstation can work with 6K Redcode... I actually never had any problem with 4K, 5K or 6K Redcode even on a 2009 24 Inch Imac !)

As for the PL Mount : the RF mount on Komodo might not be removable BUT a RF to PL Mount adapter already exists.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Jarred said on Instagram somewhere in the comments of one of his posts that it will record Redcode RAW.
    I don't think it will record Prores on the CF Cards. It might be a situation of Redcode Only. (which is frankly fine : we are nearly in 2020, every NLE accepts Redcode and any decent workstation can work with 6K Redcode... I actually never had any problem with 4K, 5K or 6K Redcode even on a 2009 24 Inch Imac !)

As for the PL Mount : the RF mount on Komodo might not be removable BUT a RF to PL Mount adapter already exists.
    Bastien and Phil:

FYI
    In anticipation of purchasing Komodo I bought the FotodioX Vizelex ND Throttle Lens Mount Adapter Compatible w/Arri PL Mount Lens To Canon RF Mount Camera - because when I googled PL to EOS-R it came up as $199 on B&H and others but $99 on the Walmart site. I thought maybe it was a mistake on the price but I ordered it and arrived a few days later for the $99 and it looks like a pretty solid piece, and it does have a 1/4-20 support tab on it. Ordered through the Walmart site but it ships directly from Fotodiox.

The variable ND works fine to my eye (I don't have an RF mount camera to test it on yet) but I have never used variable ND and was wondering if there are drawbacks to the variable ND or behind the lens variable ND.

Also just wondering if my Sony Cinealta PL lenses (original plastic version for 35,50,85 and metal 20, 25, 135) that I got a great deal on like new B-stock will vignette on Komodo full sensor.

My question was regarding whether I should hang on to the RED PL and Nikon mounts if they work on Komodo or just sell them now.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

anticipation
    Very much the same moves here. I haven't purchased power or memory yet, that's the easy stuff. But I grabbed various lens adapters for RF Mount in anticipation. This is actually a double dip for me as this is preparing for Komodo, but also an upcoming Canon Mirrorless camera.

It's been a few years since I last used those Cinealta Primes, but they were going for a steal on the used market for a minute. Highly underrated if we are talking the newer version of them. I think we can assume they'll be a format within Komodo that they all will cover just fine if not the whole sensor itself.

I'm a little different than Soderbergh's POV on Komodo. Monstro is very much going to be my main whip on productions obviously, but Komodo is going to be more about what I can do with it. I'm certain you can outfit it as an A-Cam, I mean that's what he did really, and that will be valuable for all sorts of shoots even for me. But I'll be doing very weird things with it and also be exploiting it's form factor towards setups.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Very much the same moves here. I haven't purchased power or memory yet, that's the easy stuff. But I grabbed various lens adapters for RF Mount in anticipation. This is actually a double dip for me as this is preparing for Komodo, but also an upcoming Canon Mirrorless camera.

It's been a few years since I last used those Cinealta Primes, but they were going for a steal on the used market for a minute. Highly underrated if we are talking the newer version of them. I think we can assume they'll be a format within Komodo that they all will cover just fine if not the whole sensor itself.

I'm a little different than Soderbergh's POV on Komodo. Monstro is very much going to be my main whip on productions obviously, but Komodo is going to be more about what I can do with it. I'm certain you can outfit it as an A-Cam, I mean that's what he did really, and that will be valuable for all sorts of shoots even for me. But I'll be doing very weird things with it and also be exploiting it's form factor towards setups.

At first I was a little blasé about Komodo - 6K when I already had 8K with my Epic-W - but as I thought about how I keep wanting and moving toward smaller setups (cameras, drones, etc.) I decided to sell my E-W and move on to Komodo (It also makes a lot of sense for me to have latest body style to make/sell underwater housings). Excited to see how compact I can get the U/W system. With DSMC and DSMC2 the size and all of the different battery and module options dictated a housing with an internal diameter of 8" - a bit larger than absolutely required for the smallest possible package - but kind of had to make larger to account for various configurations. Might be able to go much smaller with the base form factor of Komodo being so small and compact inline batteries.

I haven't used them much but I'm impressed with the Cinealta primes (I can't really go wrong since my B-stock price was less than even the el cheapo used prices on Ebay and they appear brand new/unused.) There are obvious potential durability issues with the plastic versions BUT they are so much lighter than the metal versions that they are pretty nice for handheld or drone work. One of these days I will take them over to my friends rental house and project them - I suspect they will optically be close to ultra primes.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

7. #1297 My take on Komodo capabilities 
    BTW

I have a feeling RED is going to pull out all the stops on Komodo and give us as much as the can for the price, even if it might annoy some owners of the other cameras in the line. We saw with the unified DSMC2 lineup that RED is aware of the price/performance competition out there and committed to staying ahead of the curve.
    Save the Sharks

Can't we assume that the 4K SDI output is scaled from the full sensor?
    Well if it wasn't it would be an autogoal.

Stills cameras have full sensor 6K scale to 4K out.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Some of us here have unrealistic expectations, Full frame (24x36) is a very high-end feature in the Red line up, Komodo will certainly be around S35 if not smaller (remember the Raven)..
    As for the frame rate, let's not forget the fact that we are discussing a 6k$ camera, it just can NOT be a 6k/120fps Vista Vision beast, not at that price.
    6k/30fps and maybe 4k/60fps in cropped mode is what we'll gonna get, i hope, because high specs at a low price means low sensor quality, which leads to my second point, probably the most important and disregarded element..
    "The nature of the sensor".

Is that a real Red sensor with Red color science and high dynamic range or a lowered version of the already existing ones?
    Is that even a Red sensor?
    These are the real questions to me, at 6k/24fps, Does this camera have the guts and the image quality of an A cam?
    If yes, then we have a winner beast here, no matter the aggressiveness of the competition (that i admit to be scary)..

Enjoy your day all!

Will Komodo come out soon?...or will this be another "will show it at NAB 2020 and hope to release fall 2020?" ;-)