Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 264 of 371 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314364 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    But it would still be a 35mm lens. That doesn’t change. It doesn’t all of a sudden become a “50mm lens”, because it’s going to give you the same AoV/FoV that a 50m would on a FF35 camera. Lenses are marked in their actual focal length, regardless of the sensor size they are designed for. It doesn’t matter if it was designed for FF35, APS-C, s-35, 2/3”, etc. If you take a 35mm lens designed for FF35 and put it on a s35 camera and then take a 35mm lens designed for a s35 camera, the angle of view/fov will be exactly the same with either lens on the camera. It’s up to the user to know what a given focal length will look like with a given sensor size. FF35 is not the “standard” by which everything else is compared , especially in TV/Movie production. You really didn’t see these types of comparisons being made in TV/Movie production until the ‘DSLR Revolution’ and the huge influx of people coming in that cut their teeth on 5D’s.

Of course this goes without saying that we’re not talking about if any type of speed booster or other optical tricks are introduced into the system.
    I'm a big fan of thinking about these things in terms of absolute degrees of Angle of View. It's format agnostic. It avoids the concept of a "master" format and it also avoids getting emotionally attached to certain focal lengths like they have any sort of inherent voodoo/magic. So for me, I like to play in the 70-40 degree horizontal angle of view. That happens to be 21-41mm on Helium, but 18-35mm on S35 (Sigma nailed that one), 9-17mm on S16, 25-50mm on FF35, 29-56mm on Monstro, 40-75mm on Alexa 65, etc. etc.

Hoping for some news regarding Komodo :)
    Any chance at all of getting it by early January 2020? (I have Hydrogen #392) I have a project coming up where Komodo probably would be pretty perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    Any chance at all of getting it by early January 2020? (I have Hydrogen #392) I have a project coming up where Komodo probably would be pretty perfect...
    From reading through here. I doubt it. I'd guess it'd be March or April.

I think we all have projects that Komodo would be perfect for. ;)

I’m probably going to be building me a Komodo kit that goes pretty much everywhere with me.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post

Im probably going to be building me a Komodo kit that goes pretty much everywhere with me.
    What's the kit?

How do you feel about 6K? There are no 6K TV's.

It's either 4K or 8K.

Why 6K? I know it "downsamples greatly to 4K."

But would you choose Komodo over Helium? 8K?

8K is the future, 6K is.... Competitive to BM and Others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    I'm in the #340s so.....

I tried to have the discussion in another thread. Anyone thinking of going Helium to Komodo? Soderberg said his Monstros are useless now.

Komodo fares better with anamorphic than helium.

Komodo aks are cheaper tripods gimbals everything

But what is 6K? If you have 8. The future is 8 and beyond

I know "Alexa is 3.2." but would anyone BESIDE STEVEN SODERBERG trade down to a Komodo, anyone thinking of it at all? Pros cons

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Hehe! :)
    I guess you are absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    What's the kit?

How do you feel about 6K? There are no 6K TV's.

It's either 4K or 8K.

Why 6K? I know it "downsamples greatly to 4K."

But would you choose Komodo over Helium? 8K?

8K is the future, 6K is.... Competitive to BM and Others.
    Yes and no. RED was doing 6K sensors well before everyone else.
    As you said 6K downsamples greatly to 4K (but 8K does that even better duuuuh) but it also upscales quite well to 8K if needed (granting the upscale is done properly... But there's a ton of things shot on the Alexa and mastered in 2K that are upcaled to 4K for Blu-ray and streming releases and it works very well.
    So in a world of CINEMA (RED makes CINEMA cameras, even if you can use them for whatever you want, it is intended to be used in a professional cinema workflow), 6K is lighter in post-production and is a good middle ground in term of price to quality ratio.

Plus, Komodo will have a Global Shutter mode so IF you need that for filming action stuff there's that. And don't forget that RED is NOT making it to compete with Z-Cam or Blackmagic or whoever : it's intended to be used as a B or C cam on shoots with bigger REDs (or other brands). And YES, a huge part of the userbase will use the camera as an A-cam... Soderbergh is already doing so after all. But still, RED is not trying to compete with Z-Cam and BM.

The real question to me is more "would you choose Komodo over Dragon-X 5K" ?
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post

Plus, Komodo will have a Global Shutter mode so IF you need that for filming action stuff there's that. And don't forget that RED is NOT making it to compete with Z-Cam or Blackmagic or whoever : it's intended to be used as a B or C cam on shoots with bigger REDs (or other brands).
    SO how you see it possible, relatively using the same optics like CookeS5. What configuration for the Komodo cage wise YOU recommend. Did you ever put cinema optics with radio focus on something like Sony A7 ?