Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 350 of 371 FirstFirst ... 250300340346347348349350351352353354360 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 3709
    Komodo begs for a pistol grip solution with record trigger centered under the camera for single handed balance, one hand for the camera, one for the lens. Similar to the grips used on Bolex and B&H 16mm film cameras.

How would it work out going handheld without a shoulder mount on such a small body without lens stabilization?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Don Burgess on the set of Christmas Chronicles with Komodo.

Small camera held in mid air ?
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

My D16 rig above weighs in at 8lbs with the Angie 12-120 run and gun setup shown. I hold it across the body, similar to a Weaver pistol stance, but held centered to the the chest. Weight is carried by the skeletal structure. You feel the load across the shoulders. The monopod against the body and your eye on the evf stabilize it quite nicely. I’ve carried this around street festivals for hours at a time with very little muscle fatigue. It’s heavy enough to damp out small movements. I’ve thought about trying a parade flag harness to support the foot of the monopod, but haven’t bothered.
    It isn’t gimbal smooth, but it can be quite stable.
    I suspect a similar setup with short rod base and an audio preamp mounted on the back would work well for Komodo and weigh a couple of lbs less with say a Canon 24-105 EF on the nose and the variable ND adapter behind it.

This is a handheld sample without the monopod or mic. Schneider 16-80mm f/2. Several shots at 80mm. Some good, some bad for stability but with a global shutter the shake is not so disturbing.

Thought I drop this here as Jarred tossed this one up on his Instagram.

Don Burgess on the set of Christmas Chronicles with Komodo.

Posting this here for two main reasons. Shows new "shorty" Cowboy Handles, good for a few finger and under ball grip. With what we know so far about Komodo and Global Shutter, handles like this are going to be pretty welcomed fun run and gun.

And also to note, my lens adapter advice certainly is going to good use.
    Exactly the setup I would need ! :)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    Exactly the setup I would need ! :)
    I think it would be very wobbly like that. The stabilisation is only two points and with the normal muscular tremors it will be pretty shaky IMHO. The number of times i end up shooting like that because of circumstance and then not use the footage is higher than i would like. I've been messing with the sigma which has a loupe attachment so you end up with one hand on the camera, one hand pulling focus and the camera agains the eye. The 3 points of contact really do help. Holding a camera out like this is not ideal plus obviously there's no focusing going on. (unless there's some kind of electronic thing going on inside)

It will be fun to see how to rig this thing for different uses though.

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

@Jarred, we know that Komodo is being tested intensively right now, and by some great talents (*Soderbergh), what have been the feedbacks so far?
    Especially in term of pure image quality / color science and the intercutting with "bigger" R3D cameras.
    I'm sure Graeme is still working his magic right now..

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I think it would be very wobbly like that. The stabilisation is only two points and with the normal muscular tremors it will be pretty shaky IMHO. The number of times i end up shooting like that because of circumstance and then not use the footage is higher than i would like. I've been messing with the sigma which has a loupe attachment so you end up with one hand on the camera, one hand pulling focus and the camera agains the eye. The 3 points of contact really do help. Holding a camera out like this is not ideal plus obviously there's no focusing going on. (unless there's some kind of electronic thing going on inside)

It will be fun to see how to rig this thing for different uses though.

cheers
    Paul
    With the global shutter ?
    Not sure at all. Sure the camera is very tiny and probably light and that definitely count BUT we've all seen handheld footage that wasn't wobbly at all, even on Hollywood Movies.
    (right now the only thing coming to my mind is Transformers... 4... ?... The one where there's an action scene in Hong Kong we can see in the BTS Bay shooting handheld with an Epic Dragon with the same kind of setup actually)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Woffinden View Post
    How would it work out going handheld without a shoulder mount on such a small body without lens stabilization?
    They key thing is that Komodo features a global shutter so the rolling shutter and potential higher vibration artifacts from that would net unusable footage like if mounted to a car without decent stabilization, Komodo's footage will look good.

If you are looking for more stability, well of course go with whatever solutions you want.

I don't think I've stressed enough, but there isn't really anything like this camera at this price point on the market and not really anything like it at all when you add up all it's parts, which is why people are talking about it in the professional world (or at least why I'm getting asked questions about it).

The size and sensor's features alone are worth the cost of admission here from my perspective, big time. And we don't know "everything yet".
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

And also to note, my lens adapter advice certainly is going to good use.
    Which advice ?