Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KOMODO....

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 371 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    I was under the impression that some CFast cards can sustain >400MB/s. I've used them on Amira gigs, IIRC we typically got about 20 minutes on a 256GB card (don't remember exact settings). As an OG RED guy I can still remember recording to CF cards on the R1. Initially we all bought the RED branded CF cards, but over time some folks started using off the shelf cards.

If, in fact, CFast is the new camera media type, I'd like to make a suggestion. I think there's a true value add in speccing and QCing CFast cards with RED stamped on them. There's clearly a cost to that, so I would expect the vetted RED cards to be more expensive than OTS CFast media. If that premium isn't too great, many of us would pay it without complaint. Others would be fine with the higher end cards from well regarded companies. I would liken it to enterprise drives vs commodity drives in computers.

IAC, smaller mags - in addition to shorter FFD - track well with keeping the Komodo small and lightweight.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
    Sustained CFast 2.0 speeds top out at about 130 MB/s, so the resolution cannot be higher than 5K without heavy compression, or a 60p frame rate limit.
    It's been a while since you've seen a CFAST 2.0 card it seems Sareesh. Most decent media can get you between 400-490MB/s sustained writes, if you want to play safe you'll likely be writing a bit below that range. Likely somewhere between 300-375MB/s would likely be the practical max for compatibility's sake even on media of that speed. Reads around 560MB/s max.

There's certainly stuff that tops out at 300MB/s and sub-150MB/s even. I'm really curious to see RED's efforts on this front, but I'm betting they'll provide an approved media list or whatever. Pros and cons to opening up to media like this is the broad landscape of performance.

It's really an unknown, but if I was a guessing man a max data rate of somewhere between 200-350MB/s sustained write would likely be a fair shot in the dark with the higher side of that only being possible on the current fastest media available. You'll still be under the max sequential write to provision for unique media variations and potential buffer junk you'd run into. Sort of like driving around with fragile furniture loaded into a car. It might say it's a 75mph zone, but you probably don't want to break 50mph or your furniture won't get their safely :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    It's been a while since you've seen a CFAST 2.0 card it seems Sareesh. Most decent media can get you between 400-490MB/s sustained writes, if you want to play safe you'll likely be writing a bit below that range. Likely somewhere between 300-375MB/s would likely be the practical max for compatibility's sake even on media of that speed. Reads around 560MB/s max.
    As far as I know Sandisk Extreme Pro and Sony CFast 2.0 cards only support a minimum of VPG130 or minimum 130 MB/s guaranteed. The other speeds are possible, but not guaranteed.
    Sareesh | wolfcrow.com

a device for capturing depth information.
    SMALLEST SIG EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
    As far as I know Sandisk Extreme Pro and Sony CFast 2.0 cards only support a minimum of VPG130 or minimum 130 MB/s guaranteed. The other speeds are possible, but not guaranteed.
    Sandisk Extreme Pro, ProGrade, Egodisk, Angelbird, etc.

VPG130 merely means that it supports a minimum capability, has nothing to do with the maximum.

The thing to look out for is the difference between burst and sustained write speeds, sustained is something that not everybody publishes because the burst is typically better for marketing media. Sustained is what we are after because we are constantly writing a larger file or files. We're not after the spike, but rather the safe average, and provisioning below.

Base specs of a minimum write speed tell you mainly what the media enters in as, in the case of the nomenclature of VPG130, it's more or less there to let you know you can film at "support cinema-quality 4K video recording" by just stepping through the door. I have a love/hate relationship with the VPG clapperboard thingy, but it's useful nonetheless. We've evolved a long way from VPG20 and 65 however. If I'm not mistaken VPG130 was the last specification released in 2015. The core effort of VPG is similar to class systems for SD to let you know the minimum card you need for whatever device you are using.

Similar to what likely will happen with "approved cards" which exceed the VPG130 baseline, but it will be much more likely based on max sustained writes, reasonable provisioning so the camera doesn't bork when rolling, and whatever RED is testing internally.

Too soon to tell exactly what Komodo does though. Safe bet, it's not an HD cameras :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Agreed. BTW, does anyone know how many mating cycles CFast cards are designed for? MBTF? Not trying to throw shade, just asking.

Cheers - #19
    There is no "number" and most card manufacturers won't say anything about it while some trot out numbers for their cards in the several thousands, but you can bank on +1000 unless you're being reckless and forceful. Just like it's predecessor, the physical weak-spot and common fail-point of CFast is the in-device interface and the only way around that is to have the device's card slot being accessible via some sort of external connection for data transfer.

RF implies Full-Frame, no?

It's definitely mirrorless, which means speedboosters, which means it'll do FF35/VV equivalent regardless.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-27-2019 at 01:17 PM.

I’m glad I held onto my Hydrogen because it looks like I’ll be buying one of these. Auto focus and dual iso would be amazing. If it is full frame or close to it, I would love to see a directors viewfinder function. Apparently that is one of the features in the new sigma pocket camera.

It's not FF as stated. And it doesn't look like it would be FF.

Apparently Sony also has something ready.

Waiting to see the official presentation of Komodo, I am very curious to see the specifications. ;)
    I hope it's really a bomb, with much better quality than its competitors.
    So finally RED would still regain confidence even in the part of superior products, in recent times it seems to be in a storm ..

[IMG]sony_evil_s-header by luigi valtulini, su Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]sony_evil_s-specs by luigi valtulini, su Flickr[/IMG]
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch