Thread: Jinnimag discussion

Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    RED always had great marketing but taking credit for other's people work in this industry is looked down upon, it speaks to personal values. I can accept that this is a business tactic designed to create a compelling origin story but the courts may not agree. It's also the arrogance, in the early years knocking the competition, fueled by the rabid fanboys, how ironic that the technology was someone else's and they never gave credit. But the marketing, kudos.

Of course this Bruce guy will push this, wouldn't you when you have been bullied by a company accusing you of the very same thing they did to establish their business? Unfortunately he doesn't have the polish of Ted and Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Benjamin P. View Post
    You don’t need a working prototype to file a patent so whether RED did or didn’t have working redcode raw on a given date is irrelevant. Red patents will hold fast.
    Yes it does, because you cannot publicly disclose and sell working feaures before applying for a patent.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    snip:
    What is more then a little bit odd is the effort Bruce is putting into all this. He really made it his mission. All while he is still selling his jinni mags and other accessories for the same red cameras which he seams to hate so much.

You don't have to hate the product, or the people involved to dislike aspects of the situation. I met Jarred before he worked for Red and thought he was a good guy; shook hands and talked to Jim a bit and thought he seemed like a genuine good guy and pretty down to earth for a billionaire; had multiple dealings with Kelly and anyone who ever dealt with her knows she is a gem - but (like a number of professionals in the industry) - I have also not been a fan of some of the marketing style. That hasn't stopped me from recommending Red cameras to dozens of my customers or from purchasing RedOne SN206, Epic-M, Epic-X, Epic Dragon, 2 Epic-Ws and plan to order a Komodo as soon as I can. As customers we have to prioritize what is important to our needs and evaluate the whole.

As Ash said, Jinni obviously felt put upon - and whether he is right or wrong - he obviously has a love/hate relationship with Red. As far as the videos, as an entrepreneur myself I kind of enjoy hearing the history of how things came about, whether it is the origins of Apple, the origins of my own company, or my sons rapidly growing business, or the origins of Red - they all are kind of interesting. I doubt if the Jinni videos are going to have much actual impact on whether someone buys or rents a Red camera.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Helium 8KS35 (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Benjamin P. View Post
    You don’t need a working prototype to file a patent so wether RED did or didn’t have working redcode raw on a given date is irrelevant. Red patents will hold fast.
    Not if they are talking in public about what they end up claiming as a patent before they filed it...

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com