Thread: Strange-clip-Monstro

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Deckard View Post
    to explain what you are seeing: the exact same frame of RAW data developed at CCTs between 2000-6500. All three cams shift the data quite a bit.
    All of these sensors are different and see light and color differently and not to mention from separate manufacturers, they are performing pretty much how I'd expect actually. You could match them from here for sure, but the more interesting story that tells is color volume.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

apologies gents, I forgot to mention:

this is under monochromatic light, hence the image should not shift at all when developed with a different CCT, but as one can see this occurs to all three digital sensors.

Another interesting observation is how the out-of-gamut points are handled (Red trims, Arri does not) and how the points inside the gamut shift - they should not at all, but the two RED sensors seem to shift a bit more which may go in addition to what was reported earlier in the thread, although I do not recall which sensor was discussed.

AD

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Deckard View Post
    monochromatic light
    Monochromatic light still represents a color and the sensors will all react differently, i.e. what they see/interpret, as well as the underlying colorimetry of the whole system.

It is indeed interesting what's happening at the far ends.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Monochromatic light still represents a color and the sensors will all react differently, i.e. what they see/interpret, as well as the underlying colorimetry of the whole system.
    yes, each of the three sensors will map each color point differently.

But since it is the same RAW frame for every CCT setting for each camera and CCT in theory never affects monochromatic light, the color points for each of the three cameras should never shift in any of the 2000-6500 settings.

what this data indicates is that these cameras do not properly capture monochromatic light and the heavy processing that is done on digital images pre/post debayer, which can make image development unpredictable or unintuitive which is what I interpreted from some of the earlier posts here in this thread.

AD

The sensors themselves have their own unique preference to a, and I use this term loosely, native white balance. Monochromatic light and any light for that matter will be interpreted.

I don't think ideally capturing images around the approximate white balance as intended would be viewed as unpredictable, but who knows. Maybe we're all just getting really lucky out there.

Though raw is empowering in many ways, best practice is always going to be getting it approximately close in camera. Exposure, white balance, etc.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon