REDVOLT XL gone
    REDVOLT V gone
    REDVOLT XL Module gone

DSMC2 V-Lock Battery Module gone
    DSMC2 Top Handle gone
    Norbert Niederacher
    Weapon MG, Schneider Xenon Primes, Angenieux EZ1 + EZ2

Senior Member Anthony Berenato Jr's Avatar
    Very surprised about the Redvolt V and the battery module. Not surprised if they were updating the top handle finally and killing off the XL line of batteries.

Not sure if this is a sign of DSMC3. Honestly, kind of expecting (or more so hoping) DSMC3 to be a tad bit backwards compatible with some of these module units in some capacity. It doesn't make sense to build an ecosystem based on these new ports just to kill it off a few years later.
    Anthony Berenato Jr.
    Director / Cinematography Enthusiast
    Web: http://www.anthonyandcamera.com
    Reel: http://vimeo.com/89725163

Weapon Helium 8K #4844

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Berenato Jr View Post
    Very surprised about the Redvolt V and the battery module. Not surprised if they were updating the top handle finally and killing off the XL line of batteries.

Not sure if this is a sign of DSMC3. Honestly, kind of expecting (or more so hoping) DSMC3 to be a tad bit backwards compatible with some of these module units in some capacity. It doesn't make sense to build an ecosystem based on these new ports just to kill it off a few years later.
    100% this. I don't know that I'd go back down the road with RED if I knew each iteration of design purposely obsoleted all accessories/add-ons.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Berenato Jr View Post

I'm not surprised the RedVolt's went away. I went through 5 RedVolt V's before I finally just decided they just don't work. I had the same problems with the original RedVolts. The V's wouldn't charge, hold a charge or even work half the time. Perfect size and idea but just not a good battery for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Loewe View Post
    I'm not surprised the RedVolt's went away. I went through 5 RedVolt V's before I finally just decided they just don't work. I had the same problems with the original RedVolts. The V's wouldn't charge, hold a charge or even work half the time. Perfect size and idea but just not a good battery for some reason.
    Bummer. I was interested in the Red slim V-mount solution for low profile pickups. No matter how small the rig, sporting a pro v-mount battery draws attention. A slim battery that matches the body is ideal.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Bummer. I was interested in the Red slim V-mount solution for low profile pickups. No matter how small the rig, sporting a pro v-mount battery draws attention. A slim battery that matches the body is ideal.

Cheers - #19
    Agreed thats why I went through so many trying to get them to work.

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    If it's not backwards compatible that would totally suck! I thought that was the whole point of the new DSMC2 line?
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S II
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

red never was good at batteries, probably good thing

I honestly would be surprised if stuff was backwards compatible aside from maybe the monitors. They should design with no limitations in my opinion.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post

Cheers - #19
    I have used them without issues for a long time now. I am using the Red charger and have never had issues with usage or charging. I tend to run a pretty simple rig as well though.

snip:It doesn't make sense to build an ecosystem based on these new ports just to kill it off a few years later.
    Isn’t that what’s happened with every generation?
    Save the Sharks
    RED Helium 8KS35 (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com