Thread: Interesting news from Blackmagic...

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    A 4k camera for 4k usd... I guess we passed that mark now :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Woah, did this steal Komodo's thunder?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Jones View Post

I still love the Red sensors and the Red color science so I'm still hedging my bets on kamodo... But considering you have to have purchased a hydrogen to get it below $5K, I'd be hard pressed to say that Kamodo has priced itself out of the market for those that can only afford the BMPCC6K price range.

John Brennick
    Sr. Compositor
    Digital Domain
    www.johnbrennick.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1562986/

It's pretty fascinating to watch what Blackmagic is now doing to the camera makers, after what they had already managed to do to editing, color grading, sound, VFX and of coarse, the first victim- AJA.
    High end cameras from ARRI, Red, Sony are not going anywhere... for now. For now, it's the low end cameras, mass produced cameras that are under assault.
    And for now, the recipe is simple- make 'em cheap, make 'em good enough and pile 'em sky high...
    But make no mistake, BM always starts out slow, but like terminator, BM just keeps coming back with better tech. It takes time, but eventually they will come to the top too...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Jones View Post
    I think we need to wait and see what Komodo is, so we can answer that. At this point we just know what it's not.
    But BM has aggressively priced this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricio Morato View Post
    I think we need to wait and see what Komodo is, so we can answer that. At this point we just know what it's not.
    But BM has aggressively priced this camera.
    The BM sensors are not bad, BMraw is not bad, recording to any ssd stick is not bad, a license for resolve studio is not bad... Then also the screen is not to shabby and even if the built in battery does not last long, its there built in and 6k resolution and a formfactor ready to use out of the box...

There is simply a lot if boxes that Jarreds new little lizzard need to tick and even if would do that which I actually doubt, 2,5k usd for all of the above is an insanly good price. BM is really changing the market with this thing. Or thats atleast how I see it. Sure sensor is a bit small but still, my guess its bigger and more dense and got more Ks than the Komodo will have.

Its priced like a minimag... That says something.

Edit: I guess I have to take some of that back. lol.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9b&oe=5DE55246

Agree. Komodo needs to tick a lot of boxes to be worth the allegedly double of this Pocket 6K. And Resolve Studio is a nice bonus for sure. More pressure on Red I guess.
    BTW I'll be shopping for an entry camera soon and this new Pocket has my attention. Will wait for full info on Komodo to make the decision. Hope Red will make it worth it.

Edit: Just saw that Komodo is also 6K. Interesting...

Well, that was beautifully timed by Jarred... Waiting for BM to drop the news so they could then just update the crowds patiently waiting for Kamodo information. Variable ND built into R mount and a 6K sensor that can use CFast? Pretty awesome.

John Brennick
    Sr. Compositor
    Digital Domain
    www.johnbrennick.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1562986/

Just wonder why Black magic didn't go with the RF mount. Seems like the future for sure . Was just reading today that canon says they are developing some "crazy" lenses for the RF mount and rumors have it that it's going to be a 50-80 F. 1.1 zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    the first victim- AJA.

I think AJA did that to themselves.

They made a single camera that was crap and therefore, was still-born. Maybe if the camera made nice pictures they could justify the price which was already pretty high. They delivered a half baked camera and realised that it's one thing to make an editing card that meets a spec (like capturing HDSDI) and it's entirely other thing to make a camera that is then judged on subjective words like "creamy" or "cinematic" or "Mojo". Something BMD have had to go through.

AJA gave up pretty quickly without making much of a serious effort.

And it also says something about what customers want, because I sure remember a lot of people very excited about the ergonomics and saying that AJA would clean up and show everyone how it's done.

A particular Australian expression comes to mind...."yeah...nah."

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post

High end cameras from ARRI, Red, Sony are not going anywhere... for now. For now, it's the low end cameras, mass produced cameras that are under assault.
    I don't think BMD are interested in that market at all. (the very high end) They don't care for the cache of big hollywood films. I'm not the target demographic for their cameras and I don't think many of the users here are either.

Look at their demo footage page. That tells you everything you need to know about where they see people buying these cameras. It's not us. Well I'm sure they're happy to take our money, but we're not the target market.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com