Thread: Sennhieser avx Loses signal to easy even at a few meters. What to upgrade to?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sennhieser avx Loses signal to easy even at a few meters. What to upgrade to? 
    I got sennhieser avx system for wireless lavs, and im very disapointed that this system drops the audio at a few meters with no obstacles. What would be the next logic upgrade? I loved the form factor of the avx systems recivers, and the ease of use.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I don't know what your budget is, but in my world, Lectrosonics is the de facto standard. But it'll cost you several times what one of the AVX systems runs. For reference, for a system consisting of a frequency agile SRc 2-ch. receiver and two high-powered belt packs, you're looking at at least ~$5,500.

And please don't take this as a shot at you, because I see this so often, I've never understood why people will buy expensive cameras and then buy cheap audio equipment.

Thanks Christopher, the Lectrosonics is out of budget right now as I'm thinking $1000–2000 range. Will sure look into the lectrosonics for the next upgrade!
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Since I am familiar with wireless systems I thought I would offer a few suggestions.

You could consider some used Lectrosonics. Target the units with front end RF tracking filters. Front end tracking means that once you choose a frequency to work at, the receiver will limit it’s acceptance of frequencies to a tighter bandwidth. This reduces possible interference. Both the SRc and the LR receivers filter down to 12 MHz and the 411 receiver goes down to 6MHz. Not all Lectro models (i.e. SRs…) have reduced bandwidth filtering.

One more area to look at is the total operating bandwidth. This basically affects the number of frequencies you have to choose from. Some Lectro’s are “wide band” and are about 76 MHz wide (or 3 blocks wide). Older designs are about 25 MHz wide (1 block). The wider the bandwidth, the better.

Another wireless alternative to your AVX system would be a Sennheiser 500 series. This allows you to set the power up to 50mW and it also runs in a lower frequency range than the AVX. Some of the 500 blocks are wide band but you would need to check. Bandwidth options will vary from country to country.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Laurie for youre knowledge. One thing thats weired about the avx is that its dropping the signal even at the country side with no other disturbing electronics around (apart from the red camera itself).
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Hi Joel,

There could be several things going on. I just want to verify that you are out in the countryside, away from electronics, and it is dropping the signal correct?

Here are some thoughts to troubleshoot:

The AVX transmits at 1.9GHz. The higher the frequency, then the shorter the antenna. So it may be that your antenna is buried so the RF is struggling. You could take an XLR cable and move the AVX away from the camera to see if that helps. By doing that you are exposing the antenna and giving line of sight to your transmitter.

Another way to troubleshoot is to check any other electronics on your camera. Bad antennas or cables on other equipment can spray RF and interfere with your AVX. Turn them all off and see how you do. Then start turning them on one by one and see if you can target a problem. You may just have a frayed cable somewhere.

Lectrosonics / Wisycom / Audio Ltd / Zaxcom / etc are the usual suspects when it comes to professional gear.

At the semi professional level then I reckon by far the best option is the Sony UWP-D11 (or the new update which is the Sony UWP-D21).
    (much nicer than the Sennheiser G3! Or the G4, which is no real improvement over the G3)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Webb View Post
    Another way to troubleshoot is to check any other electronics on your camera. Bad antennas or cables on other equipment can spray RF and interfere with your AVX. Turn them all off and see how you do. Then start turning them on one by one and see if you can target a problem. You may just have a frayed cable somewhere.
    RF Explorer is great for troubleshooting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    I don't know what your budget is, but in my world, Lectrosonics is the de facto standard. But it'll cost you several times what one of the AVX systems runs. For reference, for a system consisting of a frequency agile SRc 2-ch. receiver and two high-powered belt packs, you're looking at at least ~$5,500.

And please don't take this as a shot at you, because I see this so often, I've never understood why people will buy expensive cameras and then buy cheap audio equipment.
    Unfortunately audio gets neglected / ignored / overlooked at all stages of filmmaking, from pre productions, to gear purchases, to on set, to in post, to delivery, and more
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Investing in equipment is about returns on investment as well. Till date I have had one client enquiring about Lectrosonic. Most of the corporate shoot or documentary shoot guys are fine with Sennheiser. So I have both Sennheiser G3 and AVX. These are very handy for corporate and doc shoots. I ensure that the antenna of the G3 and AVX are pointed and infront. I have never had any problems even in shooting in tech companies where there are mobile call dropouts and such stuff.

I would prefer to spend that additional amount on a higher camera or lights than in investing in Lectrosonics at the moment as ROI is better.

I've a couple of those Rode wireless to gos and they seem cool. I'm just using them for a job where i have to wire up a couple of presenters but battery life, distance and everything just seems to work.

I also have the rode wireless kits - so i can boom wirelessly with phantom power. These have been solid - although battery life on the Tx is a pain.

Maybe i'm being naive but if transmission is digital and error corrected then any of these devices, so long as they work, should be the same 'quality', no?

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    I would prefer to spend that additional amount on a higher camera or lights than in investing in Lectrosonics

It just seems very very lop sided to spend tens of thousands of dollars (or even a hundred grand plus) on cameras/lights yet won't spend a few thousand on the other half of the product which is Sound??
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding