Thread: Canon FD vs K35

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Canon FD vs K35 
    I've read in a few places online that the canon FD; 24mm 1.4, 55mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2 Asphericals and the K35's in the same focal lengths are optically very similar if not the same. Would make sense as they are both full-frame lenses with a very similar F/T-stop. And the cost of designing new lenses would have been undesirable. Found a couple comparisons online where the lenses do look optically similar but with some contrast differences, probably from coatings. Found a couple articles online with some vague info.

https://www.pstechnik.de/lens-rehousing/canon-fd/ "some of them have a very similar optical design and look as the K35"
    http://cinematechnic.com/optics/cano...spherical_cine
    https://chatercamera.com/content/can...ens-comparison
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZDG5xC_SZc

Does anyone have any further information on this? I've heard that the FD L lenses are Aspherical but don't have the SSC coating? I've also heard that the SSC Asphericals are the ones that are the K35's are based off?

I'd like to build a budget K35 set and theres little information online on this which seems strange.

I'm also interested in this! I love the K35 lenses but haven't had the chance to try out the FD glass. Might be a nice character set to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Levi View Post
    I'm also interested in this! I love the K35 lenses but haven't had the chance to try out the FD glass. Might be a nice character set to build.
    My thoughts exactly, K35's are booming at the moment but for smaller budget work the FD's could be a interesting option

as close as you might think they are, i had a bad experience and came to the conclusion they dont match K35's when shooting them in the same scenes and setups.
    i had a shoot where i was on k35s on an alexa and the director's friend was doing broll with his amira and FD set. His footage had color shifts and tones that were different with every lens, pink, green, too warm, it was weird, no consistency, which makes me think they have far inferior coatings, as well they didnt flare the same at all.
    but not to say if you did some testing and matched your own set, that you could have a nice working set of primes that could work on their own.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a set of SLR primes cinevized and matched?
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Perhaps a matched set would work well from the same era & factory. Even if they don't perfectly match the K35's would they look even remotely as good?

Does anyone have examples of a cinematic work shot with an FD set?

FDs have some of the similar flavor, but they aren't exact. I've gone down a strange road of curiousity, but the major hint I think starts at the older FL 55mm design.

And now for ripping hot take. A whole lot of manufacturers are marketing their glass with the Canon K35 look, their goals to make a lens closer to that look, etc. I have yet to see anything is close to that. It's mostly marketing from where I see it.

Another thing to be aware of, I have seen some I believe Optex rehoused "K35s" from back in the day. Some of these are proper K35 sets with a few focal lengths added from the FD line, however there are sets out there that I believe are mistakenly labelled as K35s and are entirely FD glass. At the rental house you know when you land on a good set of K35s.

I will say the FDs are nice though, they just aren't K35s in reality it seems. Similar DNA, different beast.

To Karims question, GL Optics is likely the least expensive route to rehouse for them. They've stepped up their game on rehousing too which is cool. Saw some really nice improvements at Cine Gear this year from them. As for a matched set, you'd likely need to do what I do when I buy the old stuff and go through some of the copy variation to find a few that you feel play nice with each other. It's not uncommon for me to go through 3-10 lenses, occasionally even more before finding who actually belongs in the family. Did that for several sets of my Leica-Rs, Oly-OMs, Zeiss, so on, and so forth.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I will say the FDs are nice though, they just aren't K35s in reality it seems. Similar DNA, different beast.
    Very much agree. I own a small FDn kit (modded and EF-mounted by Simmod Lens) that I use for personal projects and low budget things. I love the ability to go close to wide open and get some funkiness (especially in the flares), or stop it down and get a solid, sharp look with some character. You've gotta jump through some hoops but I find it to be worth it for the right project. They probably go out with me about once a month or two months.

They have similarities to the K35s, but one shoot on a proper set of the K35s and you'll know immediately it's a different set of glass.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Had a set of original none rehoused K35s BNC-R mounted lenses that I sold like 10 years back. I have not done a propper check in a projector but as I remember wide K35s dont have the same big coverage as the same focal lenght FDs. Not important if you shoot s35 or smaller but for monstro it makes a difference.

FDs can be a bit uneven in the colortemps but normally thats the iridium that turned more or less war between lenses. That can be evened out with uv light. And I dont think the problem is smaller with K35s but usually those are better taken care of these days.

We got a set of fd’s with focus gears and 80mm fronts and use em on monstro alot with a 400usd fd dsmc mount. As the lenses are quite well built and super small I really like them on our ronin.

Here a fashion / shirt thing. I think its pretty much all 55mm

Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I have been wanting to buy a set of FD's. I rented the K35's and they have a nice look- and the few I tried on my stills camera actually covered full frame.

Can anyone tell me with the 55mm f1.2 s.c.c is very different than the 55mm f1.2 s.c.c "aspherical"? My understanding is the asherical element was used to keep the weight down on the lens design, but not sure if it adds any optical value. The price difference between the asherical and non-asherical is huge.

Paul
    Last edited by paul ross jones; 08-18-2019 at 02:14 PM.