Thread: Inexpensive Vinage Glass For That 'Dreamy'/Halation/Flare-y Look?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Inexpensive Vinage Glass For That 'Dreamy'/Halation/Flare-y Look? 
    I have a model friend who wants to do a glamour shoot with some faerie lights and that 'dreamy/vintage' [bloom/halation and probably flare-y] look. From a little bit of research, it seems like the smart thing to do is use my existing modern glass with one of the stronger Tiffen Pearlescents (and maybe a star or streak filter on top).

But as pricey as those filters get, it occurs to me I actually might spend *less* buying some old single-coated lens or something. I'd also probably have more fun that way, really.

Going back and forth on needing FF35 to use the Nikon Z6 for ProRes RAW or renting a Pocket Cinema Camera 4K [which would mean learning Resolve a little], so if you have any C mount (or similar) picks that would cover the latter, throw that at me too.

What are your favorites?

Russian still lenses. Mir 37mm, helios 58mm, and Jupiter 85mm are all excellent lovely looking cheap lenses. Usually in M42 mount so adaptable to just about anything.

Nick

cinematographers used to smear vaseline on the front element to get that effect. This way you can control the extend.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

The russian glass would probably be a great choice. You could probably pop on to eBay or KEH and get a decent handful of vintage glass to play with.

Also get a clear filter and play around with vaseline or chapstick like Jacek mentions. I got a clear Nisi filter for $20 and I use that to smear chapstick on every once in awhile.
    Epic-X Dragon #8014

I think you want what these guys are selling: https://shop.lomography.com/jp/lenses

These lenses are incredibly cheap compared to cine glass and offer the kinds of craziness you desire.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Here's a list which shows a variety of brands and focal lengths:

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/1...nses-use-dslrs

There is also the Leitz Summar, and other L39 mount lenses such as the 90mm Elmar. An option for Micro 4/3 is to use old 16mm lenses with a TC. Never tried it though - maybe I should.

Edit - lenses with lots of flare: https://www.vintagelensesforvideo.co...ng-lens-flare/
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

I use the Helios 58mm sometimes on my mirrorless Nikon Z6, not sure you can use it on a DSLR Nikon...
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    I use the Helios 58mm sometimes on my mirrorless Nikon Z6, not sure you can use it on a DSLR Nikon...
    Hard to go wrong with the Helios. I got a bunch of mine for $15 each to mess around with a long while back. Did all sorts of screwy things with the optics to muck them up a bit. Fun platform to experiment for sure if funky is the goal.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    not sure you can use it on a DSLR Nikon...
    Yeah, my understanding is that an M42 to Nikon F adapter sort of acts like a very small extension tube. You can mount it but you lose infinity and get a closer focus range.

Thinking the Helios 58mm is probably the way to go. Some others mentioned here I might have to pick up too.

Any suggestions other than the Jupiter-9 as a longer lens to pair with the Helios?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Hard to go wrong with the Helios
    PS If you haven't seen it, this dude is a lens nerd perhaps at your own level, talking about the many versions of the Helios 44 [I think these are just versions of the 44-2, even]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV3MSfl-NYI