Thread: Canon FD vs K35

Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    What do you recommend checking for? Just haze/fungus/etc. or also do you test the lenses on your camera/on a collimator?

Where do you find so many lenses? The 24mm is over $2000 on eBay now. If you have a second best version you want to sell lmk....

Also, do you know if there is any difference between the old SSC Aspherical and the new FD L? Both 85mm and 24mm exist in both trims. I've seen proof of a difference between the two, but I wonder if it's sample variation or that the older ones really were better...
    FD Lenses start in 71 w/the breech mount
    K35s started in 76 and were based on the older breech mount lenses and coating

you would imagine that machinery and technology in general improved and Canon could manufacture better quality lenses in the 80s when the NewFD mount was released

these lenses are popular because they have a vintage look, which has to do with the coating
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    FD Lenses start in 71 w/the breech mount
    K35s started in 76 and were based on the older breech mount lenses and coating

you would imagine that machinery and technology in general improved and Canon could manufacture better quality lenses in the 80s when the NewFD mount was released

these lenses are popular because they have a vintage look, which has to do with the coating
    Here's an article that finds the breech mount sharper than the L:

http://forum.mflenses.com/fd-85mm-f-...on-t73505.html

But I wonder if it's just sample variation? Or is older better?

Do the breech mount versions have different coatings than the nFDs?

Or would I get a similar vintage look from an 85mm nFD L and a 24mm f2 nFD (can't really afford the 1.4 at today's prices) to the K35s and breech mount versions? Thanks.

Edit: I'd almost prefer to know that the breech mount lenses have their own coatings and their own look so I could stop at just the 55mm ASPH and not feel compelled to buy the other two nFD Ls, which I can't easily afford at today's prices.

55mm would be my preferred focal length anyway and I could get slower breech mount lenses to complement it anyway.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 01-03-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Just to delivery of some of my new babies. Eastern Enterprises rehoused FDs. PL mount and new "k35 like" iris blades and extended focus range on some of them and the 14 was opened up to fully cover 8k monstro.
    I know these would be nice, as I seen other lenses David Cox at Eastern Enterprises has deliver. Still when I got them I was stunned from how well built they are and yes the close focus look of the 55mm and the boke of the them I just find amazing. Was a bit surprised of their size, way bigger than when I sent them of no doubt. Nothing wrong with that I just did not expect them to be that big.

Still waiting to get the 24mm and the 135mm delivered. Now I got 14,35,55,85mm which is a good start.

Here is some first pics and test films. Will upload more later.

[IMG]Eastern Enterprise FDs. by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Eastern Enterprise FDs. by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]

Eastern Enterprise FDs. by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

https://vimeo.com/401381514

https://vimeo.com/402249151
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Those FD’s look big and absolutely beautiful Björn! :)

I’m contemplating getting new irises in my FD lenses and are trying to defend the cost for such an operation...
    How much difference would you say the extra iris blades make? Is it a lot even at T2.8 and 4.0?
    Did you get extra iris blades in the 14mm too?

Have fun with the new set! :)

Oooh! And did you do the FD 35mm f2.0, or did you use another lens as the 35mm?
    My OCD brain kind of thinks it would be better with an f1.2 or f1.4 instead of the f2.0... :)

There is no FD in 35mm FL faster than f2
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    There is no FD in 35mm FL faster than f2
    I know, but I guess there are other options too :)

EF lenses are completely different formulas, glass, coatings and, consequently- look

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    I know, but I guess there are other options too :)
    I understand your concerns, but the 35mm f2 nFD is superb. I hear the oldest one is, too, but suffers from severe yellowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    EF lenses are completely different formulas, glass, coatings and, consequently- look
    Do you know if the SSC Aspherical and FD L lenses have different coatings or if it's simply a difference of mechanics and 8-bladed aperture vs 9-bladed?

The premium on the 24mm f1.4 SSC aspherical is more than I can afford; however maybe I could afford a 24mm f1.4 FD L if I find a good deal.... apparently the optical designs are the same. I imagine the coatings can't be that different as people intercut with the 135mm f2 FD L and 14mm f2.8 FD L with K35s?

The 14mm f2.8 FD L and 14mm f2.8 EF v1 seem to share the same optical designs and even were manufactured during the same time? So perhaps intercutting EF and FD isn't totally crazy. The 35mm f1.4 EF is from 1998, a bit late, but maybe it's not a world apart?

However the 35mm f2 nFD is a gem... and seemingly more complex than the EF version (10 elements in 8 groups vs 7 elements in 5 groups)?
    Last edited by Matt W.; 04-10-2020 at 03:54 PM.

The 24mm FD aspherical is identical to the NFD design wise but the nFD has newer coatings and slightly different look IMO. Not better or worse , if anything- a bit sharper.
    The SSC aspherical is a collector item, rare and expensive from the get go...