Thread: Canon FD vs K35

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    The Aspherical glare less wide open. At high stops they very similar Im told. I got the aspherical have not tested side by side myself.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    FDs can be a bit uneven in the colortemps but normally thats the iridium that turned more or less war between lenses. That can be evened out with uv light. And I dont think the problem is smaller with K35s but usually those are better taken care of these days.

Beautiful for a lens set that could cost under $3000! I think that settles that I'll buy a set to add to my contax one.

Another question: What do you guys think of the 24mm f2 opposed to the f1.4? I almost never shoot below f2 & if I can save $1000 might as well!

Are there any other goodies in the set?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Levi View Post
    Beautiful for a lens set that could cost under $3000! I think that settles that I'll buy a set to add to my contax one.

Another question: What do you guys think of the 24mm f2 opposed to the f1.4? I almost never shoot below f2 & if I can save $1000 might as well!

Are there any other goodies in the set?
    I have owned and used the nFD 24mm f/2, it's an ok lens, but mine wasn't very sharp at f/2 and it didn't sharpen up until f/4. I haven't used the 1.4 but I imagine its probably the same wide open but a little sharper at f/2 f/2.8 than the other. And again I have no idea what the difference is between the aspherical and non aspherical version. People seem to go for the SSC versions rather than the nFD, again no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J Wilson View Post
    I have owned and used the nFD 24mm f/2, it's an ok lens, but mine wasn't very sharp at f/2 and it didn't sharpen up until f/4. I haven't used the 1.4 but I imagine its probably the same wide open but a little sharper at f/2 f/2.8 than the other. And again I have no idea what the difference is between the aspherical and non aspherical version. People seem to go for the SSC versions rather than the nFD, again no idea why.
    My FDn 24mm f/2 is solid, but a tad soft wide open. By the time I'm at a 2.8 or even a 2/2.8 split I feel like it's sharp enough for my taste (though good to note I don't go for an ultra-sharp look when shooting with this glass).
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Ninja_image by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

A024_C055_012329_001.01041026 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

PastedGraphic-6 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

1to1ropMX by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

A003_C014_0211U0 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

MOTIONFORSTILLS.0003 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

FD´s hold sharpness well I think.
    Björn Benckert

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Ninja_image by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

A024_C055_012329_001.01041026 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

PastedGraphic-6 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

1to1ropMX by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

A003_C014_0211U0 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

MOTIONFORSTILLS.0003 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

FD´s hold sharpness well I think.
    Bjorn, what particular lenses did you use here??

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J Wilson View Post
    the funny thing is the NFD have s.s.c coatings as well, but canons marketing decided that it wasn't worth promoting this in the newer lenses.

Same with aspherical, many of the newer EF lenses are aspherical, but they don't bother putting this on the lens now.

I use to own an MK1 EF 24mm f1.4, and that wasn't very sharp. Well it had that glow on the highlights at 1.4. The couple of K35's I played with on my stills camera when I rented a set on a TVC the other day didn't seem very sharp either. But I dont think appeal isn't the sharpness, its probably their faults.

Paul
    Last edited by paul ross jones; 08-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Levi View Post
    Bjorn, what particular lenses did you use here??
    Not sure got most of them... But often 24 55 85 and I dont think any of these but the 135 is a killer, use that one a lot.
    Björn Benckert

Quote Originally Posted by paul ross jones View Post
    the funny thing is the NFD have s.s.c coatings as well, but canons marketing decided that it wasn't worth promoting this in the newer lenses.

Same with aspherical, many of the newer EF lenses are aspherical, but they don't bother putting this on the lens now.

I use to own an MK1 EF 24mm f1.4, and that wasn't very sharp. Well it had that glow on the highlights at 1.4. The couple of K35's I played with on my stills camera when I rented a set on a TVC the other day didn't seem very sharp either. But I dont think appeal isn't the sharpness, its probably their faults.

Paul

14, 55,85,100,135 are the strong ones. a good build of the 24mm aspherical is the best between 14 and 55 I think. The 20,28,35 not preforming as good especially wide open. But on monstro I dont really ever shot wide open on fast lenses as DOF gets a bit crazy if doing so.
    If stoping them down one or two stops they are all pretty stellar.
    Björn Benckert

Worth noting the 24 1.4 FD has been used in rehoused K35 sets, so it's def good enough.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv