Thread: Need advice, wide angle lens

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I totally forgot about the Sigma ART lenses. Have not used them, but I keep hearing good things...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

My Otus set is my go-to. I've had a Tokina 11-16 sitting around since before I got the Otuses and been using it whenever I need a wide, and I have to say, it always felt like it matched pretty wonderfully. And now they have it in 11-20, which really covers the wide end well.

I asked the Zeiss guy at a booth once when they'll be coming out with an Otus 18mm. He replied "Never, b/c you can't improve on the optics of the Milivus 18."

I absolutely love the Sigma Art series. Anyone shooting on Canon L's is doing themselves a disservice. They have all the sharpness and cinematic look of the Otuses. The only thing is they have just a little more chromatic aberration, and in my experience, the slightest green cast. (But I've never heard that anywhere else, so could've been the lenses I was testing?) I took some test photos here: https://www.magicgoggles.com/lens-shootout/ The 14-24 could be a nice match for the Otuses.
    http://www.magicgoggles.com

Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"

Quote Originally Posted by joshua csehak View Post
    My Otus set is my go-to. I've had a Tokina 11-16 sitting around since before I got the Otuses and been using it whenever I need a wide, and I have to say, it always felt like it matched pretty wonderfully. And now they have it in 11-20, which really covers the wide end well.
    I have my Tokina 11-16. One in PL (Duclos mod) and one in EF. Love that lens.

I asked the Zeiss guy at a booth once when they'll be coming out with an Otus 18mm. He replied "Never, b/c you can't improve on the optics of the Milivus 18."
    Heh. Fair enough... However, by that logic, the Otus set should not exist at all then when the Milvus does the job. And yes, I think the Milvus and Otus lenses are the same optics, just different housings and marketing.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I have my Tokina 11-16. One in PL (Duclos mod) and one in EF. Love that lens.

Heh. Fair enough... However, by that logic, the Otus set should not exist at all then when the Milvus does the job. And yes, I think the Milvus and Otus lenses are the same optics, just different housings and marketing.
    The 85's look different

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...1000&FLIComp=0

Tokina 11..20's are good enough for us (you need a lenshood or matebox, outside it flares easily).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Well they claim the Otuses are a completely new from-the-ground-up optical design, but how much of that shows up in real life I guess is a different story. I'd be curious to see some comparisons.
    http://www.magicgoggles.com

Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"

well yes its wide, but rectilinear is nothing new

I use both the 15mm and 18mm CP3s and they are both solid lenses. Both lenses get a little soft when shooting wide open but they have a nice contrast to them and they are a pleasure to use.

Still waiting for my CP3 18, for the moment Swedish post services sent the package to the wrong part of the country! Kind of like seeing Santa passing the house, not only going to the neighbor but the wrong town!

Anyone have experience with the Canon CN-E 14mm / T3.1? Not the fastest WA lens out there but its supposed to be sharp, very rectilinear, 11-blade rounded iris, etc.). I already have the Canon CN-E 24mm / T1.5, 50mm / T1.5 , & 85mm / T1.3 so I am thinking it makes the most sense to stick with my existing set for consistent color and matching. However I have been really eyeing the new Sigma 14mm T2 Cine Prime and have been throwing around the idea of selling the Canon CN-E's and replacing them with a set of their equivalent focal lengths in the Sigma Cine series. I absolutely love my Canon Cine primes as they have been great to me and I have been very happy with their performance on Gemini, but as you all know its hard not to eye up other glass. Does anyone have experience with both sets of lenses on Gemini / Helium sensors or comparable?
    Last edited by Andrew Reese; 09-01-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI
    Canon CN-E Primes