Thread: WHICH IS THE BEST USED CAMERA INVESTMENT UNDER $10000 ? -Newbie

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Hi Dan, that 2nd lens Pack would bring me no less than $6K.

Any recommendations for a lighting kit? Thanks

FX9 ?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Takor Arrey View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a liking for cinematography and videography, and currently looking to invest under $10,000 in a decent, USED professional camera package, that I can learn how to operate very well and potentially rent out and make some money, or getting small gigs with it.

So my questions regarding the cameras below are as follows:

1) what would be a better buy in your professional opinion based on these camera packages and why?

2) What will be a good step below these camera's in terms of quality and lifetime value?

3) Are these prices reasonable?

4) Which of these will you grab off the shelf?

5) Is there a better option that I am not aware of?

First, I found a Sony F5 package for $6500, ready to shoot with 4K upgrade and viewfinder. Lenses extra. Under 400hrs.

Also, a Canon C300MK 2 package selling for $8000

Next, the Red Epic M X ready to shoot package for $9500 shipped.

Then, Arri Alexa EV / Alexa Classic (with high speed license) selling for about $8500, with memory and about 1300hr. No batteries.

Sony Fs7 MK1 selling for about $6000, with hand grip, viewfinder and batteries. No lens, no memory.

Finally, a PMW F55 package, ready to shoot for $10000.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated as I am looking to pull the trigger within the coming week. Thanks

Ps, I am new to the forum.
    1) Pocket 6K, URSA mini G2, Panasonic EVA1 (all new and under $10000)

2) A step below would be a used Red MX of some kind, but there's little to no resale value.

3) Yes, Pocket 6K is $2500 and it's more than enough to get you into understanding cinematography and its workflow. The URSA mini G2 and the EVA1 are bigger cameras with a few more features, but the important part is working with s35 lenses and understanding lighting shots.

4) Pocket 6K new

5) Not sure, maybe the Z Cam, but it's good to understand RAW workflow.

The ones you listed won't give you what the cheaper new cameras will. They are clunky, big and does not perform much better. You also have dual-ISO and stuff on the new ones which is good if you don't have a truckload of lights.

For anyone wanting to own a camera to learn cinematography, get the Pocket 6K and a 35mm and 85mm Canon CN-E's, together with some Tilta gear to build the camera. That would end up around $9000-$10000. The most important part is that you get a cine-lens of enough quality, which the CN-E's are. You might get the Sigmas instead if they are cheaper. Also need a follow focus.

Getting a $9500 camera with no lenses gets you nowhere and getting cheap lenses on those systems is a waste of money. Better to get more expensive lenses with proper T-stops and a cheaper system.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

No way! Is that the Fs7 Mk II on sale?

No way! Is that the Fs7 Mk II on sale?
    No, FS7 MKI, AFAIK

Hi Misha, for the price of a new Sony FS7 MK1 you can now find a gently used FS7 MK II. And by the way, why would anyone bother with the FS7 when the FX9 is here?
    A contradiction is not a sign of defeat. It marks the beginning of a start towards progress.

Hi Misha, for the price of a new Sony FS7 MK1 you can now find a gently used FS7 MK II. And by the way, why would anyone bother with the FS7 when the FX9 is here?
    We only use the A7S from sony (and some broadcast eng camera's), UMP gives better value for money in our cases (a 6k UMP G3 would be nice though).