Thread: Camera size theory

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Camera size theory 
    Hi all upcoming minor rant

As a director I'm always to conduce the right environment for the actor to bring upon the best performance. The camera and lens system is THE defining factor for the entire production process. Sometime this equates to directly effecting the price of the budget but more often than not choosing the right camera and lens system has to FEEL right.

I'm currently in the process of writing the next project while I would love to hire a 8K DXL or 15perf IMAX camera, something within me keeps telling me that perhaps my blackmagic micro cinema 1080P camera with canon batteries will best allow me to best shoot the project. Suddenly when I think about using the blackmagic everything becomes more possible. I'm no longer forced to hire extensive personal to shoot the project.

In my world being undecided on the camera and lens system is the one thing holding back further script writing. Sometimes the thinking in my head doesn't even have to be logical - it's just a simple different thought pattern between CAN'T DO and CAN DO.

why even think about the camera when writing a script?

I think the story has to work, regardless of what camera will be used for production
    Last edited by Bastian Meier; 10-07-2019 at 03:29 AM.
    bitframe
    bitframe.at

Filmproduction & Filmservices

Red Gemini + Leica-R Optics.

For Sale:
    RED DSCM 1 Parts - RED ONE Accessories - Leica-R Lenses (please PM me for them)

Yeah what he said
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Sounds like classic avoiding writing and prevarication!

The only vague reality is that talent does tend to have a different attitude when staring down the barrel of a 'proper' camera compared to a tiny camera. Same for amount of crew around. But just because you have a BMD doesn't mean you shouldn't have a focus puller, gaffers and sound folk... Small crew, nicely rigged camera and professionalism always creates the right environment.

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

From a crew perspective, I shoot Monstro as if it were a pocket cinema camera. Size of camera has nothing to do with how many crew are necessary to operate. I can see how cost of camera could be a factor, or perhaps even weight of camera, but size doesn't seem like a significant consideration for most of us.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    The only thing that should prevent you is if you don't have a good enough idea to shoot.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Camera is probably the least important thing to think about when writing a script.

Nth post on RU which smells like BM propaganda.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Porto View Post
    with canon batteries will best allow me
    Usually movies shot on Sony batteries or DC power have a much better script.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Yeah what he said
    What who said Jake?
    A contradiction is not a sign of defeat. It marks the beginning of a start towards progress.