Thread: WHICH IS THE BEST USED CAMERA INVESTMENT UNDER $10000 ? -Newbie

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    For me the lens/glass is just as important as the camera, i would prefer just having one solid pl lens and a good camera. It all depends the on the genre your interested in, but i think its hopeless to learn while renting, takes thousands of hours to really "get" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Takor Arrey View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a liking for cinematography and videography, and currently looking to invest under $10,000 in a decent, USED professional camera package, that I can learn how to operate very well and potentially rent out and make some money, or getting small gigs with it.

So my questions regarding the cameras below are as follows:

1) what would be a better buy in your professional opinion based on these camera packages and why?

2) What will be a good step below these camera's in terms of quality and lifetime value?

3) Are these prices reasonable?

4) Which of these will you grab off the shelf?

5) Is there a better option that I am not aware of?

First, I found a Sony F5 package for $6500, ready to shoot with 4K upgrade and viewfinder. Lenses extra. Under 400hrs.

Also, a Canon C300MK 2 package selling for $8000

Next, the Red Epic M X ready to shoot package for $9500 shipped.

Then, Arri Alexa EV / Alexa Classic (with high speed license) selling for about $8500, with memory and about 1300hr. No batteries.

Sony Fs7 MK1 selling for about $6000, with hand grip, viewfinder and batteries. No lens, no memory.

Finally, a PMW F55 package, ready to shoot for $10000.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated as I am looking to pull the trigger within the coming week. Thanks

Ps, I am new to the forum.
    People here will answer based on their bias. You have to decide your strategy. Decide what you want to do. If you want to learn how to use it then you can simply buy a cheap camera. I would have said buy a Canon C100 Mark I at some 1500 USD. Buy a lens and then start shooting. Learn. Don't run after how many K resolution your camera offers and don't even think about cropping in post. You still can shoot corporate videos with a full HD and earn money. Shoot whatever you want to shoot and create a showreel so that you can send it to clients. However, you have 10K at your disposal and you may not like this route. So buy a C300 Mark II new at 9K. Used C300 Mark II is around 8K. Buy a lens and few cards and shoot.

When you feel you have a sufficient body of work, and you start getting steady income then decide how you want to take it forward.

Thinking about rental is too risky. If don't get rental then it will put a lot of pressure on you.

I have to wonder if anyone recommending a C300 has ever operated one.

Yes the F5 /55 are modular, is that a bad thing? My reasoning is that right now within $10K I can get an F5 with internal 4K upgrades and still have enough left to buy a Fujinon MK 50-135mm. Sure I will need to buy an additional sxs media card, it has a PL adapter and an EF adapter, viewfinder and under 300hrs. Did Sony put a spell on me?? I understand their color science is no where near canon's but if I went the Canon route $10000 won't take me far.
    No, it's not necessarily a bad thing that the F5/55 are modular. In fact, it can be a strength. But it may make it a more challenging camera to use if you're a crew of 1, or it may be bringing expansion features that you don't need. (Haven't worked with it myself-- these are things to evaluate.) Also, you'll generally pay more for things like media and batteries. This is why it's best to have some set experience with a camera before you make the purchase.

Also, I don't believe that the Fujinon MK lenses are available in the FZ mount of the F5/55 (nor PL or EF, for that matter). They come in e-mount for the FS7/A7S, etc. You'd need an adapter for it like this one from Duclos:
    https://www.ducloslenses.com/product...jinon-mk-zooms

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    I have to wonder if anyone recommending a C300 has ever operated one.
    More people have operated these cameras than any other pro making money so there's that. Congratulations on the dumbest comment.

If it’s in your budget I would get a raven and a super 16mm film camera

See where they take you

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    For me the lens/glass is just as important as the camera, i would prefer just having one solid pl lens and a good camera. It all depends the on the genre your interested in, but i think its hopeless to learn while renting, takes thousands of hours to really "get" it.
    Thanks Patrick, I agree with you, renting for a month would buy me a Camera. The market is just too saturated that its hard to make a choice.

Dio, a film camera?!?

Dio, a film camera?!?
    Imo by far the best thing to learn on. And a good way to differentiate yourself from other DPs.

I hear they're a popular rental item, too, but wouldn't know.

Of course if you don't like the look (of Moonrise Kingdom, Black Swan, etc.) definitely not the direction to go in.

But again, depends on the market you're in. Not much demand for 16mm on corporate videos from what I've seen.

What if I just don't have a feel for Canon? Should I not "like" the equipment I'm using or is that just plain pettiness?